IGNORED

How Much Difference Does the Ball Make for Average Player?

Marty2019
Note: This thread is 1121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm an 18. I try to play the same ball until I run out. I seem to "think" by playing the same ball I will get consistent results, assuming the same strike. Which as an 18, doesn't happen as often as say a 5.

Last season decided to use all the non broken balls I have collected over the past 9 years. 

Handicap reduced by 4 or 5 points. Broke 90 for the first time.

Don't think it had anything to do with the ball used. I "think" it had to do with better ball striking and better course management.

I did notice tho, an expensive ball vs a cheaper ball-sinks equally as fast and when in the woods, hides just as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, uitar9 said:

I'm an 18. I try to play the same ball until I run out. I seem to "think" by playing the same ball I will get consistent results, assuming the same strike. Which as an 18, doesn't happen as often as say a 5.

Last season decided to use all the non broken balls I have collected over the past 9 years. 

Handicap reduced by 4 or 5 points. Broke 90 for the first time.

Don't think it had anything to do with the ball used. I "think" it had to do with better ball striking and better course management.

I did notice tho, an expensive ball vs a cheaper ball-sinks equally as fast and when in the woods, hides just as well.

It also stops on the green a bit better. Yes, when I hit a bad tee shot, it doesn't matter what ball I am using, it still goes as deep into the hazard, but I need all the stopping ability a urethane ball brings.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Lot's of comments on this topic, I've made a few and read some but not all. One thing I do not remember seeing is age.  Maybe swing speed. That goes along with age I guess. All these things factor in.  

When I was learning, I played a ball that claimed to fly straighter on tee shots. I think it was true, I tried Bridgestone e5, e6 and e7 and the e6 seemed to stick around near the fairways better.  Made golf fun while I worked on my technique. I could hit 250+ yard drives and still keep the ball in play.  Now I like playing good balls, don't lose many, so why worry about what might amount to $1 a round extra (if that) by playing "tour" balls vs the rest.  Not that I'm averse to playing a cart path skuffed ball when going over long water...

So I think a ball can make a difference, assuming the "Straight-distance" balls really are that, and not just marketing.

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

On 3/27/2021 at 5:59 AM, ChetlovesMer said:

I'll try to get this back on topic.

I really don't think premium vs non-premium makes a bit of difference for a mid to high handicapper off the tee, or on approach shots. I also don't believe that a mid to high handicapper can actually feel the difference off the tee or on approach shots. 

Having said that, a premium ball CAN help all golfers close to the green. It can be especially helpful when you are short sided. 

As far as putting goes. I think there are those who can tell the difference. However, as of right now I think you can "learn" to putt any ball and I would say remaining consistent with which ball you choose would be more important than premium vs non-premium. 

I think I have to agree with Mark Crossfield on this one. 

Interesting video, thank you for sharing it.

I've played Pro V1's, Velocity and currently play TruFeel. Off the tee distance isn't an issue or much of an importance for me personally. I never did dig deep enough with my launch monitor around the practice greens for spin rates on chips or out further on pitches. So, that portion of the video shared was very interesting. It has me looking at the Pro V1 again. It's merely a price point issue or it used to be for me. My handicap has gone from a 26 to around an 11 in about 2 years. I wouldn't tee up a Pro V1 back then because quite honestly, I lost too many golf balls.

After lessons and practice and more lessons, I now draw the ball or hit straight from the tee instead of my former slice/push. In addition, because of my lack of length from the tee, my short game really is my strong suit. So for what I lose in distance (and a failure sometimes to reach in regulation), I can get up and down quite often. With that said, maybe for me it's time to go back to a higher spin rate for my work around the greens.

By the way, I'm not getting into this argument about whether I can tell the difference between golf balls off the tee in a blind test. That argument serves me no purpose. I just appreciate the video that you shared. 

Fairways and Greens,

Frank

On 3/26/2021 at 9:32 AM, saevel25 said:

For me, there have been three brands I've played that I concider the the best. 

Titliest Pro-V
Snell MTB
Bridgestone Tour

I use to play Bridgestone for years because Golf Galaxy had a buy 2 get 1 free sale going on. I would buy 4 dozen and get 2 free. 

Yea....I've become a Snell MTB guy. Believe it or not....the Maxfli Tour ball (Dicks sporting goods) isn't too bad either. When they sell them for two dozen for $50.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

On 3/27/2021 at 6:07 AM, Dunit507 said:

As far as balls I primarily play the Titleist tru feel. I’ve been playing it so long I don’t know what any other ball is like. I know when I go to the practice green and putt with the range balls there I can immediately tell the difference with a putter. I got a box of pro v for Xmas along with my tru feels and I am going to play a pro v soon and see if I notice a different feel or performance in the two Titleist balls

I have played ProVs and while I am unable to appreciate their potential, what i did notice was I truly disliked the feel off my putter. Which is why I do not play them.
As previously stated I have access to hundreds of feral balls. I can pick and chose any brand, and at one point I had nearly every brand in my bag.
I weeded them out mostly on how they felt off the putter and maybe a alittle placebo effect of around the green/fairway.

11 hours ago, mohearn said:

When I was learning, I played a ball that claimed to fly straighter on tee shots. I think it was true, I tried Bridgestone e5, e6 and e7 and the e6 seemed to stick around near the fairways better.  Made golf fun while I worked on my technique. I could hit 250+ yard drives and still keep the ball in play.  Now I like playing good balls, don't lose many, so why worry about what might amount to $1 a round extra (if that) by playing "tour" balls vs the rest.  Not that I'm averse to playing a cart path skuffed ball when going over long water...

So I think a ball can make a difference, assuming the "Straight-distance" balls really are that, and not just marketing.

I play the E6, at first because they were yellow and that made it easier to find. Second, I just hit them better.
I still play the E6, unless a bridgestone tour makes it way into my bag. But for what ever reason, I have never played a ball better than an E6.

Although, I cant get those to check on the green either!
Also @mohearn, appears we live in the same town!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

On 3/26/2021 at 3:47 PM, Elmer said:

I would like to see a visual comparison of Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson hitting premium balls and then top flites. Mostly just to see top level guys hitting top flits and crappy Pinnacles (maybe fished out of a lake).

These guys aren't quite at the Tiger and Phil level, but you can see some pretty good players using a ladies TopFlite

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I can see why many hedge away from some premium balls, I just spent $53 ($50 gift cert. + $3.00 cash) on some ProV1's. Although, say if an avg golfer plays 40 rds/yr, and on avg used 1 ball per round, that would be 40 golf balls, or 4 doz balls. When you stop and think about it 4 doz golf balls are a rather small expense compared to 40 rounds of green fees, especially when you can get mint grade ProV1's for $112.oo for 48 balls (4 doz). I have played, and still have some, used mint condition balls and never have been disappointed. I will take a mint ProV1 over any ionomer/surlyn covered ball 100% of the time. Check this out:

s-l400.jpg

Mint Quality (AAAAA). The condition of this golf ball will be similar to a golf ball that has been played for a few holes. There may be a slight difference...

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

I'm not a fan of used golf balls.  They may work for others.   I purchased some 5A TaylorMade Project (A) and they felt like bricks and were almost 20 shorter than any other ball in my bag.   The recycled Pro V may be better but I'll spend the extra $$ to play with a new ball over a used one 100% of the time.  

Having said that, I've played with a ball I've found and would never throw any away, they just hit the practice bucket. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I keep 3-4 different brands for those days I'm not doing so good and blame it on the brand of ball i'm using.......   Can't be me !!!!!

The only time I use ProV1s is when I find them........  

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

11 hours ago, Elmer said:

Also @mohearn, appears we live in the same town!

We ought to play when the weather gets warmer, although I did play today (Casperkill).  And to stay on topic, today's choice was 2017 vintage Pro V1s and they made all the difference!

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

Note: This thread is 1121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!