IGNORED

Rolling Balls but Still Posting to GHIN

Sandy Lie
Note: This thread is 1493 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

...so as we played today we somehow started talking about posting valid scores.  In a perfect world everyone plays by the rules and records every shot, penalties included.  The USGA stipulates what constitutes a valid round.  Playing alone has for a few years now per the USGA prevents you from posting the score, “peer review” they say.  
So now the debate.  One guy in the group said he played a great round playing by himself the other day. Statistically his best in a while, sprinkled with a few birdies.  He also posted the score.  Player two said that’s not allowed.  Well, if that’s case the only rounds anyone should post are tournament rounds.  Player 1 says casual rounds are full of penalties that are not recorded.  People rolling the ball in the fairway, taking gimme putts, mulligans off the first tee, etc.  But people post those scores was his argument.  I chimed in saying that’s true, no casual round played with those circumstances should count. Solo rounds also should not count.  With that being said we wouldn’t post over 90% of our scores.  It’s all about integrity says the USGA. Your integrity not theirs.  Do you post solo rounds, rounds with mulligans or gimmes?  No ones perfect!

You don't post solo rounds. You also don't take mulligans and gimmes or roll the ball. That's the rules

Nothing stops you and your buddies from playing within the rules during a casual round. 

If you choose to follow an alternative set of rules, you are no longer playing the same game and obviously shouldn't post it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

46 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

You don't post solo rounds. You also don't take mulligans and gimmes or roll the ball. That's the rules

Nothing stops you and your buddies from playing within the rules during a casual round. 

If you choose to follow an alternative set of rules, you are no longer playing the same game and obviously shouldn't post it.

Everything you said is true. I get that.  If your playing it down (as I do)  or playing by local or tournament conditions that’s how you play the ball.  There are no alternative sets of rules.  You may have missed my point (maybe not?).  How many times have you played with friends or strangers who post scores that during the round take the liberties I’ve mentioned?  I’ve played with friends and others that boast about their score and my inner voice is saying “ NO WAY!”  It’s the typical casual way people play.  They knowingly break a rule essentially.

1 minute ago, Sandy Lie said:

How many times have you played with friends or strangers who post scores that during the round take the liberties I’ve mentioned?  I’ve played with friends and others that boast about their score and my inner voice is saying “ NO WAY!”  It’s the typical casual way people play.  They knowingly break a rule essentially.

I know a lot of people that do all those sort of things on the course, but most of them don't keep a handicap or play in direct competition with people who do. Some of my buddies will talk about their scores and I let them. They know deep down that they'd be adding five penalty strokes per round if they played by the rules, but they don't care. 

Out of my association guys, who are required to play by the rules of golf, I don't seem much of that. ... Our bigger issue is sandbagging and guys "forgetting" to post their lower scores.  

1 hour ago, Sandy Lie said:

...so as we played today we somehow started talking about posting valid scores.  In a perfect world everyone plays by the rules and records every shot, penalties included.  The USGA stipulates what constitutes a valid round.  Playing alone has for a few years now per the USGA prevents you from posting the score, “peer review” they say.  
So now the debate.  One guy in the group said he played a great round playing by himself the other day. Statistically his best in a while, sprinkled with a few birdies.  He also posted the score.  Player two said that’s not allowed.  Well, if that’s case the only rounds anyone should post are tournament rounds.  Player 1 says casual rounds are full of penalties that are not recorded.  People rolling the ball in the fairway, taking gimme putts, mulligans off the first tee, etc.  But people post those scores was his argument.  I chimed in saying that’s true, no casual round played with those circumstances should count. Solo rounds also should not count.  With that being said we wouldn’t post over 90% of our scores.  It’s all about integrity says the USGA. Your integrity not theirs.  Do you post solo rounds, rounds with mulligans or gimmes?  No ones perfect!

Aren't 'solo' rounds supposed to have someone accompanying the player who can attest his score.

The WHS certainly says: In the company of at least one other person, who may also act as a marker

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Rulesman said:

Aren't 'solo' rounds supposed to have someone accompanying the player who can attest his score.

I always bring a USGA official with me when I play a solo round.

Story:  I couldn't play golf last summer because of torn tendons in my elbow.  But my golf buddies continued.  One day Chad (name changed to protect the guilty) texted me after his round that he had just shot a 72.  He averages 78 to 82, had never shot even par, and always rakes away tricky 3 and 4 footers.  I wanted to feel good for him but I couldn't, knowing he did not putt out everything.  And when you don't have to make the return putt you can safely charge the hole with your first putt.  So poor Chad never got the full enthusiasm I could have, and wanted, to give him.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I play well over 100 rounds a year.  I never play alone.  I always play by the rules.  I post every score.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

3 hours ago, Sandy Lie said:

Yes, its about integrity.  Its also about bringing our posting rules (in the USGA areas) a little closer to the rules the rest of the world follows.  It also about the purpose of a handicap, to allow reasonably fair competition.  Competition means playing with other people, so the only rounds that should count are rounds played with other people.

That said, do I sometimes take gimmes?  Of course I do, and I post my "most probable score' in specific accordance with the handicap rules.  I don't post solo rounds, I don't take mulligans.

I would agree, I'd prefer if the USGA had tighter limits on which rounds to post, competition scores, and pre-registered rounds with formal attestation.  But that's not the rule right now, so I post as required by the rules as they are right now.  I think its quite possible that in the next revision to the World Handicap System that we'll see more restrictions on the types of scores to be posted in the USGA regions.  At least I hope so.

The only way any system works is if we all play by, and post our scores by, the same rules.  To do anything else is simply wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• iacas changed the title to Golfers Cheating but Posting Scores to GHIN

I guess what’s more interesting is that someone changed the topic of my post!  Apparently their is no integrity there as well. The title was “The Great Debate today...”

Who does this?

8 minutes ago, Sandy Lie said:

I guess what’s more interesting is that someone changed the topic of my post!  Apparently their is no integrity there as well. The title was “The Great Debate today...”

Who does this?

Well no offense ...but yours was a bit vague and well, not great.🤪

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Well no offense ...but yours was a bit vague and well, not great.🤪

Well offense is taken. Total BS for you or whomever thinks they can revise a post.  This isn’t the GEA Forum or maybe it is.

22 minutes ago, Sandy Lie said:

Who does this?

Sometimes a moderator will change a title that doesn’t convey the content of the actual topic.  That helps drive more discussion to a thread that might otherwise be bypassed by many.  

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

10 minutes ago, Sandy Lie said:

Well offense is taken. Total BS for you or whomever thinks they can revise a post.  This isn’t the GEA Forum or maybe it is.

I like your spirit. I didn’t change it. But actually mods can change a title if they choose as @David in FL stated.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I always bring a USGA official with me when I play a solo round.

Story:  I couldn't play golf last summer because of torn tendons in my elbow.  But my golf buddies continued.  One day Chad (name changed to protect the guilty) texted me after his round that he had just shot a 72.  He averages 78 to 82, had never shot even par, and always rakes away tricky 3 and 4 footers.  I wanted to feel good for him but I couldn't, knowing he did not putt out everything.  And when you don't have to make the return putt you can safely charge the hole with your first putt.  So poor Chad never got the full enthusiasm I could have, and wanted, to give him.

How much per hour do you pay the USGA official?

Of the golfers who do keep an official cap.......the majority are vanity cappers.

The guy I play with is a vanity capper...often only posting his lower scores only....there have been many times when we play where he'll shoot lousy and not post the score...I'm pretty sure those low scores when I'm not playing with him has a few 'given' 3-4 putts.

I couldn't give a sh*t of vanity cappers...it's the sandbaggers who are the dbags.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posting scores where liberties are taken do nothing but hurt , or make a fool of, those that do it. Sandbaggers , posting higher than usual scores , or not posting low scores, ought to be taken out back and whipped and outed with their picture in the pro shop

• Thumbs Up 1

I putt out everything and take my penalties as I should. I play a decent amount of solo rounds and the handicap I have on this forum includes a couple of those. I know that this isn't within the rules, but I was not in the ghin system last year. This year I will be in the ghin system once the season opens up and my solo rounds will be no more. Hopefully I can find people to play with all the time this year. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Note: This thread is 1493 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!