IGNORED

Are Golf YouTubers "Pro Golfers"?

Jay Chizza
Note: This thread is 1509 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

One Youtuber says he was informed by the USGA that he was a pro if he earned money from his Youtube channel because it was about golf instruction. (Go to 11:10 in the linked interview.) He appears to be the student in his videos.

599-Brendon-DeVore-e1501034021124.jpg

599: Brendon DeVore is a good golfer and started a YouTube channel that was similar to Golf Smarter in that he interviewed golf instructors on ways to be a Better Golfer. Brendon was brought...

• Informative 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Jay Chizza said:

Sweet. So anyone can earn piles of cash as a golf entertainer, and still play USGA / SGA events?  This PLUS NCAA rolling back rules against athletes making money.  Heavens...  bout to be a lot of very instantly wealthy college freshman in a few years. 

Yeah, because again, it just takes having a GoPro… C'mon man.

It takes a lot more than that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

16 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

Upload pretty much daily.

Keep content interesting for your subscribers.

Have a couple of million subscribers.

Work 70 hours a week shooting and editing.

Keep ahead of the pack and be better than the young upstarts trying to knock you off your perch.

Rinse and repeat the above for your lifetime.

Easy. 😐

I built a channel... quickly. Got mad at it.  Killed it.  New on in the works.  I may have this one the rest of my golfing life. 

That aside, it's all about leverage my friend.  Highly successful YouTubers use as many other peoples time and energy to grow their channels as possible.  Namely editors.  There is an oversupply of editors right now.  You can get top notch talent cheap. 

Also, success on YouTube requires that you have your "own lane."  For instance, within Golf YouTube you have "Mr. ShortGame" - he built his channel on just that... "The Short Game."  You never saw him talking about a driver, or ball striking until well after he'd established himself as Mr. Short Game.  Then, you have MSE.  He's all about documenting his journey to developing the perfect Ben Hogan Swing.  I enjoy both channels.  I also enjoy GolfHolics which to me, is the PERFECT Golf Vlog channel.  Erik Anders Lang is a beast as well.  They all have unique identities.  You'll never "confuse" them.  

Creating, and staying in your own lane fosters deep connections with audiences.  This is why GolfHolics can easily sell a $1,000 golf outing whereas, it's tough for many to sell a $150 tournament. 

Great YouTubers connect with their audiences.  Audiences develop "attachments" to creators and as long as the creator is active, they need not worry about "being knocked off" because none of us can be duplicated.  

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Jay Chizza said:

I built a channel... quickly. Got mad at it.  Killed it.  New on in the works.  I may have this one the rest of my golfing life. 

That aside, it's all about leverage my friend.  Highly successful YouTubers use as many other peoples time and energy to grow their channels as possible.  Namely editors.  There is an oversupply of editors right now.  You can get top notch talent cheap. 

Also, success on YouTube requires that you have your "own lane."  For instance, within Golf YouTube you have "Mr. ShortGame" - he built his channel on just that... "The Short Game."  You never saw him talking about a driver, or ball striking until well after he'd established himself as Mr. Short Game.  Then, you have MSE.  He's all about documenting his journey to developing the perfect Ben Hogan Swing.  I enjoy both channels.  I also enjoy GolfHolics which to me, is the PERFECT Golf Vlog channel.  Erik Anders Lang is a beast as well.  They all have unique identities.  You'll never "confuse" them.  

Creating, and staying in your own lane fosters deep connections with audiences.  This is why GolfHolics can easily sell a $1,000 golf outing whereas, it's tough for many to sell a $150 tournament. 

Great YouTubers connect with their audiences.  Audiences develop "attachments" to creators and as long as the creator is active, they need not worry about "being knocked off" because none of us can be duplicated. 

You missed his point.

The question is answered now, so… the topic is done, right?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

You missed his point.

The question is answered now, so… the topic is done, right?

Agreed.  A YouTuber is only considered a professional golfer when that YouTuber uploads content which shows him receiving compensation for giving instruction on swinging mechanics and hitting a golf ball. 

In no other instance can a person who uploads golf content to YouTube be considered a professional golfer.  

It's time to sell a $5 lesson on how to slice a golf ball, upload it to YouTube, just to "technically" call myself a pro golfer . 

Case closed. 

😂😂😂😂

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Jay Chizza said:

It's time to sell a $5 lesson on how to slice a golf ball, upload it to YouTube, just to "technically" call myself a pro golfer . 

Read the Rules of Amateur status. You don't even need to do that. Just declare yourself to be a professional golfer, and you are.

15 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

One Youtuber says he was informed by the USGA that he was a pro if he earned money from his Youtube channel because it was about golf instruction. (Go to 11:10 in the linked interview.) He appears to be the student in his videos.

599-Brendon-DeVore-e1501034021124.jpg

599: Brendon DeVore is a good golfer and started a YouTube channel that was similar to Golf Smarter in that he interviewed golf instructors on ways to be a Better Golfer. Brendon was brought...

A YouTuber who is a pro golfer.  Who knew... 

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Read the Rules of Amateur status. You don't even need to do that. Just declare yourself to be a professional golfer, and you are.

So, the title of the thread was amended to:  

"Are Golf YouTubers Pro Golfers?"  - Based on the evidence submitted by Missouri Swede, the answer is; Yes.

Topic done. 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Jay Chizza said:

A YouTuber who is a pro golfer.  Who knew... 

He's giving golf instruction.

Other YouTube guys are already golf professionals. Like Mark Crossfield.

Just now, iacas said:

He's giving golf instruction.

Does he?  Some of my favorite vids of his are when he features instructors like the GREAT, Mike Malaska... Monte Shcheinblum...  I've seen a ton of BE BETTER GOLF and cannot recall an instance where he gave instruction..  Always the student. That said, the USGA has spoken.  They literally said that "he's a pro regardless of skill."  Wow.  Anyone, can be a professional golfer regardless of skill.  Crazy isn't it? 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Jay Chizza said:

Crazy isn't it? 

I don't see how.

• iacas locked this topic
  • iacas unlocked this topic

It's all becoming clearer now.

You have created a Youtube golf channel with one video showing you doing goodness knows what at the practice range and practising grounding your club in a bunker.

You have 16 thousand subscribers from a making a "sneaker" video  and of course this video is deleted because you are "over it".

This, presumably, is what "killing it" on Youtube is. 

Good luck with the migration of your sneaker fans to a golf channel where music plays while someone wanders around making  a mess at a practice facility.

To put a blunt edge to it; no, you are not a professional golfer.

OK, that does it. I'm starting a channel that will focus on the water coolers on golf courses. I will travel the world showcasing the best and the worst of them. There will be a section on water cooler etiquette, the types of paper cups provided, the amount cigarette butts scattered around and so forth. Oh, also an instruction segment on how to properly dispense the water and proper disposal of the paper cup. I will interview the golf staff and get insights on how they handle their water cooler operations. First I have to come up with a logo, theme music, and a name for the channel. Im open for suggestions.  

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

18 minutes ago, snapfade said:

OK, that does it. I'm starting a channel that will focus on the water coolers on golf courses. I will travel the world showcasing the best and the worst of them. There will be a section on water cooler etiquette, the types of paper cups provided, the amount cigarette butts scattered around and so forth. Oh, also an instruction segment on how to properly dispense the water and proper disposal of the paper cup. I will interview the golf staff and get insights on how they handle their water cooler operations. First I have to come up with a logo, theme music, and a name for the channel. Im open for suggestions.  

There goes the amateur status. BANG.

56 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

There goes the amateur status. BANG.

Bring on the sponsors!

• Like 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

On 2/28/2020 at 8:59 PM, Jay Chizza said:

For sure.  It's a grind though.  But fun... I enjoy it.  

Here's a link to Social Blade for a Channel I love. These guys play off a 5 handicap.

SocialbladeBadge.png

View the daily YouTube analytics of Golfholics and track progress charts, view future predictions, related channels, and track realtime live sub counts.

They sell a ton of their own branded merchandise.  $1,000 golf outings. Equipment deals, etc. I'd say their channel and ventures pull in at least $500k / yr. On top of all the free green fees they get at amazing golf courses.  Great guys too. 

Just one example.  

More like $50K / yr.  There are only a few golf youtube channels that make ok money and those are the ones that can attract players in the top 10 of the WGR to appear in their videos.

In my Bag:

Driver - SLDR 430 - 10.5 deg
3 Wood - SLDR HL
Irons - TM Tour CB's                                                                                                                                                                 Wedges - TM                                                                                                                                                                               Putter - Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball

On 2/28/2020 at 5:57 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

And again, who are the guys playing off a 12?

I'm not calling you out, I'm just curious.

Looks like Jay was full of it...he never did post a link of the video he watched of some 12 cappers "KILLING IT" on youtube and making millions....lol.

Kinda surprised this thread was unlocked....it was locked down last night.

Edited by Mr22putt

25 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

Looks like Jay was full of it...he never did post a link of the video he watched of some 12 cappers "KILLING IT" on youtube and making millions....lol.

Kinda surprised this thread was unlocked....it was locked down last night.

Sometimes people have to be given enough rope to tie themselves up good and proper.

This jive-talkin' coolster dude is making a complete pratt of himself and deserves the opportunity to remove any doubt.

If the gateway to a successful golf Youtube Channel is a (as in singular, one) "sneaker" video, we need to learn from a master. 😇

Edited by leftybutnotPM

13 hours ago, leftybutnotPM said:

This jive-talkin' coolster dude is making a complete pratt of himself and deserves the opportunity to remove any doubt.

😇

Without these kinds of members...golf forums would not be so entertaining....just sayin.😆

Note: This thread is 1509 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!