dagolfer18

Worst Round (Since March 2, 2019)

15 posts / 648 viewsLast Reply

What has been your worst round in the past year? Mine was back in November. It was my second round of the day, coming fresh off my morning round of 97, which I considered good because I was playing with my dad’s clubs. Then the second round. After starting double-triple-double, I went triple-11. +17 through five holes. Settled down a little bit and played the next four holes in +6 for a 59 on the front. I played seven of the back-nine holes in +11, then the other two in the exact same thing. 58 on the back for a 117 total. To say I was furious is an understatement. One upside on the day was that I made a 5 in both rounds on the very difficult par-4 thirteenth.

Edited by dagolfer18

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

120+ at Aston Oaks (North Bend, OH) which is a Nicklaus design group course. It was a lovely and beautiful course that beat my brains in. Between having houses lining the fairways, and the fairly extreme elevation changes, I was ruined. I say 120+ because the card went into the trashcan at the turn. I did not total the front nine, but I know that I hit a lot of shots that day, and many were bad. This was probably my 6th round since getting back into golf, so there is that excuse too.

I shot a 118 (+46) in the second round of a tournament last April, including carding an epic 15 on the final hole.

I shot a 110 in the first round, which is my second worst round of the previous year.

I was around an 18-19 handicap at the time, and the course slope is 113, so not considered difficult. I had played some decent practice rounds in advance and was expecting to play a little better than I did.

In the past 12 months, I have had way to many rounds of 89s. Higher scoring rounds that were totally on me. Just had a bad day in two, or more aspects of my game. 

I have also had a few rounds in the 90s too, but these were all associated with really bad weather conditions. Usually tree destroying, high winds. I still turned those scores in, but I don't accept total responsibily for them. 

Probably being too hard on myself, but I expect to play better than an 85 everytime I play. My goal everytime I play is to score 80, or lower. Most of the time I don't hit that target score......lol

Edited by Patch

I've been a bit a slump lately too. I have been hovering around 80 (77,78,79). I usually don't get too upset about it this time of year because I am unable to play as much (usually once a week). I tend to lose my short game and my putting comes and goes during a round. I don't hit the irons as crisp either. Once we "spring ahead" next week I will be able to get out after school and play 9 holes a couple times a week. Usually my game returns after a couple of weeks of regular play. We've had a windy winter here in Florida so when I do get out I'm usually playing in 10-20 mph. winds which doesn't help your scorecard either. One piece of advice I would give to you is that I always go out and play with no expectations in regard to score. I have found that if I don't expect to play well (shoot a low score) is tends to happen more often. It's a cliche but "one swing at a time" is my motto. 

83 at a mid Am tournament on a really hard course. Around 7000 yards. Rating 75.  

This one’s easy; I still remember the shit show vividly. Played at @jsgolfer’s club with him, @DaveP043, and Dave’s wife. For whatever reason I had absolutely no feel for the swing all day and felt like it was my first time ever playing golf.

Highest round I can remember was a 78 last year on a cold, windy, drizzly day in South Fork, Colorado. Played 4 rounds total on that trip- 68, 71, 78, 69. That third day was ugly. 

I had an awful year. There was a lot of bad, but very forgettable golf. The one that stands out was the second and final round of my club championship. 

Going into that Sunday, I was sitting third place in my C Flight after a 96 Saturday on Kittyhawk's Eagle course. The leader was way out in front, but I had a reasonable chance at second place and a bit of prize money. 

It was a struggle off the start on the Hawk Course that day. Never seemed to hit two decent shots in a row and blew some puts over the first eight holes and that's the easy part of the course. Nine through 12 are the mean holes with lots of water. I lost three balls in that stretch and was effectively out of it by the time I hit No. 13. Dumped another ball on No. 16 for good measure. 

Finished with a 103. A distant eight out of 12.

96 on a par 68 course...unfortunately it is also my most recent 18 hole round. luckily I bounced back and shot 43 over 9 holes while on vacation.

One round I stopped keeping score after I lost 8 balls! I had developed a straight pull to the left into the woods, could not straighten it out. Did a lot of work at the range and fixed the problem but the round was embarrassing because I was playing with my old boss from work, needless to say I took a lot of ribbing throughout the day. Just glad to get to the 19th.

Here's some questions I have for the first two posters. Dagolfer, I don't know how old you are, but you mentioned playing 36 in a day, and hinted that you played the first 18 with a different set of clubs than you did the second! Why? Are you trying to be inconsistent? And as far as age goes, back in the day I was always up for another 9 or 18. My favorite line was, "Hey, we're here aren't we?" I can't do that anymore!

And Bonvivant, I often wonder why higher handicappers will pick a course to play that will absolutely crush their skulls, and then wonder why they didn't have a good time? And which tees did you choose to play? Did you pick a set appropriate to your skill level, or did you "want to see the whole thing"? That can make a difference as well. 

Don't get me wrong. My buddies and I will go play harder courses in the greater area, but we will play the appropriate tees, 

1 minute ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Here's some questions I have for the first two posters. Dagolfer, I don't know how old you are, but you mentioned playing 36 in a day, and hinted that you played the first 18 with a different set of clubs than you did the second! Why? Are you trying to be inconsistent? 

I played both rounds that day with my dad’s clubs. I left my own clubs in my mom’s car after she picked me up from practice the previous day. When we left early that morning to take me to the course, she had already left. I just played absolutely terrible in the afternoon round. I hit my dad’s clubs well in the first round, but everything apart from tee shots went rotten that afternoon.

5 minutes ago, dagolfer18 said:

I played both rounds that day with my dad’s clubs. I left my own clubs in my mom’s car after she picked me up from practice the previous day. When we left early that morning to take me to the course, she had already left. I just played absolutely terrible in the afternoon round. I hit my dad’s clubs well in the first round, but everything apart from tee shots went rotten that afternoon.

I hate it when I leave my clubs in my Mom's car.  Discombobulating.