IGNORED

Great Course Scorecards

• Administrator
7 hours ago, DeadMan said:

These are two of my favorites. Really simple, clean, not too many colors. 

For a lawyer you're bad at following the rules. 😉

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 hours ago, iacas said:

For a lawyer you're bad at following the rules. 😉

I would give Pasatiempo a 9.7. As close to a perfect card as any. Pinehurst #2 is an 8.5. Really good, and up there, but not quite elite.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator

Dormie Club and Southern Pines… Let's start with Southern Pines.

southern_pines_scorecard_outside.jpgsouthern_pines_scorecard_inside.jpg

It's a bit washed out here as I took the photo outside on a sunny day, as the actual card is quite dark and has a taupe or light sandy color to it with a tinge of green.

As unique as  I find the vertical scorecard, and as classic as those cards can be, I find keeping score left-to-right like this card to be the easiest, so credit to the course for bucking the trend at other courses to do this layout, despite the age of the course. As with Dormie Club below, I appreciate the minimalist look to this card, with the monotone layout, and simple front cover.

It's not a scorecard feature but I like the "Baby Blue" tees (they were truly baby blue), and I like the logo on the front, though you'd think a course with a plural would have more than one pine tree in the logo. 🙂

I give this card a 7.5 out of 10.

Next up, Dormie Club.

dormie_club_scorecard_outside.jpgdormie_club_scorecard_inside.jpg

Dormie Club goes back to the vertical scorekeeping, which for a new course, doesn't feel quite right. At least it succeeds in offering up four and two spots, which many vertical cards do not. It does so with the combo blue/white tees, labeled with the diamonds, which conserves space.

I don't know that I dig the rounded corners at the bottom. At the top they're okay, because they seem to align, but on the bottom they're shifted and don't "line up" as well. The advertising on the lower right of the inside is a detractor as well.

I do like the two-tone coloration, and I think they do this well as the logo is black, white, and red. I LOVE the front of the card being just their logo, no words, nothing extra. Thank goodness they didn't put the red rounded rects on either of the outside panels. The back of the card is simpler than the Southern Pines card, which I like, and initially I wanted to put this card above Southern Pines, but the negatives drag it down to the same neighborhood. I'm going to have to give this card a 7.8 - the outside makes it a strong contender for a 9.x, but the inside with the rounded rects and advertisement text drag it back down.

Both scorecards are still great, but we're grading on a reverse curve here, so both scorecards rank a 7.x.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 11 months later...
  • Administrator

Pinehurst #4.

I give it a 7. Very solid solid all around.

You don’t see enough of the stick figure routings. The color scheme is monochromatic but has different shades. Not a fan of the fonts.

Front is great.

98ABB737-42D7-46E9-8840-232B91A45018.jpeg

8D59F667-E0E0-4229-9266-1DE26E4AC8AC.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s another scorecard that I really like. Croasdaile Country Club. They just got new scorecards two weeks ago, so here it is!

F7769449-C73B-4B61-8E96-8327AD12E61A.thumb.jpeg.7abef90b9e0b2727a3074e5871beb669.jpeg

C38ECCA1-84FE-4098-8C38-64F97F444CFF.thumb.jpeg.c3b0f89ef65c32a7fa6064248f9b61d7.jpeg

They went back to a horizontal card, which I like. Their old scorecard was hard to figure out as far as combo tees go, but this card makes it very easy. The only true pop-out colors here are the arrows for the combo tees, but that hardly bothers me. The rest of the inside is simple: six lines for scoring, two of which are for keeping track of matches.

The front of the card is nice. Logo, course name, city. Super simple. The back is a little bit too much. “USGA Rules Govern All Play” is on 99% of the cards I’ve seen, so unnecessary. I do like that they’ve recently rated the Blue/White and Blue tees for women, which wasn’t on the other card. Red tees weren’t rated for men either.

Overall, a pretty good card. I’ll give it a 7.5.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

This is a great topic! I collect scorecards and have quite a few interesting ones. Here is one from NC that I like. Nice large print, colorful and I especially like the hole diagrams with some need to know yardages. Lots of space for scores and notes. i would have to give this at least an 8.

IMG_20210420_0421258.jpg

IMG_20210420_0421504.jpg

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

• 2 weeks later...

My home club has a decent scorecard. I like the simplicity of the cover, although our logo is a whole different conversation. It has always been awful. They now have another one since this one and it is even worse. A bad cartoon version of a tree. The inside has plenty of room for the 4-some and ability for tracking different games. Maybe even a few too many. I give it a 6. 

D3236DA6-6A22-4A7C-ADB9-3B3DD406C3F4.jpeg
0ADDCB63-64E5-4787-A123-D6F8ACC431DF.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

Michael

On 4/23/2020 at 10:58 PM, iacas said:

They're great. I'm generally not a fan of vertical cards, either, even though they're definitely an "old school" way of doing cards, but these pull it off really well. I could do without the "self, partner" labeling on the Mid-Pines card, preferring the blank entry lines on the Pine Needles card, but I appreciate the "SMOOTH FOOTPRINTS IN SANDY AREAS" on both sides of the card for Mid-Pines.

Either way, I give both cards a 9/10. They're austere, elegant, and classic without feeling old.

I agree with this. They are some of my favorite scorecards. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a scorecard I like for a several reasons:

1) pertinent information, not too much, just about right.

2) rounded edges on the corners make it easier to handle, and also gives it a classy look. Cornerless card also doesn't get caught on things like pockets, scoring books, and hands when steering a cart.

3) High gloss outside cover feels great, looks great, and does a better job of repelling water.

4) Local rules and etiquette explained.

5) Easy to read, colorful map to show course layout. 

(interesting, POP recommended is 4:20!)

IMG_20210519_153602548.jpg

IMG_20210519_153537166.jpg

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

• 1 year later...

Grabbed a Pasatiempo GC Championship Tees scorecard when I played earlier this week (my group played the public middle tees). I've played some well manicured courses, and even some courses designed by well known(ish) architects, but this is the first bucket list course I have played. It's probably the nicest scorecard I have seen, so I'll give it a 10.

20221021_173946103_iOS.thumb.jpg.044818699131f9dd2a44156e170c9b32.jpg20221021_173937902_iOS.thumb.jpg.6becde8195dc4db14cab13e353544b3c.jpg

• Like 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I have a few from my recent trip, in no particular order.

Let's start with Idle Hour:

idlehour_outside.jpgidlehour_inside.jpg

Idle Hour in Lexington, KY has two scorecards. The smaller, almost square one is for the Ross tees only.

I don't particularly care for the glossy, full-size one. I don't like the different colors, the muted brown/gold/khaki, or the glossy front (tougher to write on with many types of writing implements).

I like the square Ross tees one quite a bit! It's a unique and small size. It's almost one color, with understated accents on the inside. The back just has the names of the holes and the rating. The inside has plenty of space without really labeling things because you don't need to know that the left most space is for your handicap. And you can use it for something else if you want.

The Ross card is really well done. I give it an 8.5 out of 10.

I'll add some others here soon.

A personal favorite that I’ve been meaning to post in here for a while:

CCED9AA1-16A6-4764-A517-4401FBC99A9A.thumb.jpeg.b78361dac4aa3286b01089254af7df49.jpeg2300CCA4-3E78-4A4D-8D48-EC6415BCB1FB.thumb.jpeg.2fba989065650389c64ac45f169c686e.jpeg

Clean, simple, color is complementary and well-done. I like the verticality, too. Easy to keep track of a match. Also like that there is no out of bounds. 

Grade: 9/10

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator

I wanted to like this one, but I don't:

sweetens_outside.jpgsweetens_inside.jpg

1. As a nine-hole course, there is no back and front. So they say "first" and "second" nine, but… they also encourage you to create your own holes, or play to the blue or navy flag, or change tees at least… so why not just provide a bunch of squares or spaces for you to make up whatever you want?
  2. I don't like that the outside of the card goes one direction and the inside is 90° from that.
  3. What is the purpose of the "Handicap/Net" line?
  4. The back of the card is much too busy. Isn't entering the bunker ("waste" bunker) at the low point also common sense?
  5. Don't say "lost balls" are treated as "penalty areas." That's conflating two different rules.
  6. The course has white lines but they're not GUR or OB?

I give it a 5.5 out of 10. It is only slightly better than average for the two-color print and the unique top-bottom fold (on the inside only).

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator

The Course at Sewanee, a nine-hole course with two sets of tees per nine and per color/distance for "18" holes, has a single color (the school color, purple) card that I like quite a bit.

sewanee_outside.jpg

The outside is simple. One color, two fonts (plus the logo?). Having the course rating handy is good because it helps people choose the tees they'd like to play. I don't mind the list of warnings/guidelines, but I could do without it. How nice would the back of this card look if it was just "USGA RULES GOVERN ALL PLAY" and the course ratings/slopes?

sewanee_inside.jpg

I love courses that do the combo stuff to "add" tees like this. I hate when they have a whole separate line or circle the tee on each hole, or do something more than just this or underlining the yardage for that combo set, or something else minimal.

You can see the "back nine" have the same color tee markers, with half black added to each. Cool. The tee markers are all school colors, and the card is still purple inside. Still with the one font used on the other side (why did they have to make the front have the italic looking one?). Five lines are either just the right amount of lines… or one shy if you wanted to write down a team score for each of two teams of two. But the boxes are big enough you could use the third line for both, I guess.

Overall, 7/10. The extra fonts, and the warnings on the back hurt the score. The unique and school color (and single color), and otherwise clean looks add to it.

• Administrator

Camargo Club in OH is a top-50 course in the U.S., and a GREAT Seth Raynor design. I've had the privilege to play it a few times.

They re-did their scorecard recently, and while it's solid… I wish it was just a little bit… less.

camargo_outside.jpgcamargo_inside.jpg

It's close to a full-color scorecard, with several shades of red and green (and white, black). I'm not sure what the slashes in the women's handicap are about… because the men's handicap above seems to be just that, so…?

The hole names are good. I don't mind the map, though I kinda prefer the stick-and-line models.

The texture of the card is nice. I like the pencil slits. Six lines with the ± line are good.

I give it a 6.5/10.

• 1 month later...

Here is a scorecard from classic Glen Echo CC here in St. Louis. I have played it several time in local amateur circuit. Lots of interesting and challenging holes.  image.thumb.png.9768290ba2c3784b48e2efa9b435be51.png

Scorecard had uncluttered front cover, with striking green background. In lower left hand corner is image of silver medal for the winner of the first every Olympic golf tournament held in 1904. Back left panel text gives quick homage to architects Jim and Robert Foulis, whose family was responsible for designing dozens of course in the Midwest. Back left also shows layout of the course - front 9 on outer loop and back 9 on inner loop.

image.thumb.jpeg.22a91cf17b570d12538242a4cba6f46b.jpeg

Inner leaf contains the scorecard with the yardage lines color-coded to match the tee boxes. Plenty of room to write down scores, without clutter of excess directives. And, it graciously places a separate Ladies Hcp line at bottom. 

In nod to classic courses, it has the name of each hole - Lilac Way through Sweet Home - lightly printed in its scorecard column.

Overall I give it 8.5 out of 10: distinctive and interesting - but not cluttered.

Edited by WUTiger
Remove double-strike words.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag