IGNORED

Does Golf Do Enough to Help Beginners?

Papa Steve 55
Note: This thread is 1496 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know of several courses where each year they offer clinics for beginners, does not have to be juniors.  Encourage wanna be players to go to those.  

I used to help people who wanted to "get into golf".  Back then I loved going to the range and beating balls.  I would offer to go with them to the range (not the course) and help them.  I would make it very clear...I will not go to the golf course with you until you can hit 9 out of 10 balls off the ground (not a tee) with a 7iron and get the ball airborne and do that consistently.  If you can't do that consistently...you don't need to be on the course.  And, unless they can get a ball in the air off the ground, you really can't do much with whatever kind of shot they are hitting.  Managed to get quite a few people into the game by doing that.  

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

40 minutes ago, snapfade said:

I would assume there is not going to be a second date?

Magic 8ball says "signs point to no". It could be wrong though.

• Like 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, TussinMan said:

We already clarified that it was a regional difference and I even told him no problem for the misunderstanding. 

I don't even know why your even addressing this ? 

I saw that. Thank you. We staff do try to head things off when misunderstandings happen. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I think start up costs aren’t that bad if people don’t let their ego get in the way. You can get used clubs pretty cheap. If you aren’t even sure you will like it then you can find decent deals. My first set was a set of Tommy Armours that I bought new.  From that I upgraded to a new set of Nike blades I got off ebay that were a few seasons old. If you have to get new and latest of everything then get ready to spend. As for prices in my area I usually spend between $65-$85 for a round at a decent place. There are munis that average $35 but are really crowded and usually have a ton of slow ass players. I have taken new golfers to the course before and that includes taking my son from the age of 7. I always make sure they play from the correct box. Too many times I see people hitting from the tips or one up and barely get it past the senior tees. That slows down everything. I think golf does a lot but I think it’s more on the current golfers. 

I know pat 3 courses have been mentioned.  That is where a lot of people can learn, especially kids.  Unfortunately, so many par 3 courses have been bulldozed over.

When one of our sons and his wife come out we go to this little par 3 that is about a half hour away.  His wife never played golf, except when they come out.  It has been completely remodeled and it is dirt cheap.

Mid-week is $6.75 (juniors are $1.75).  The longest hole is maybe 100 yards.  The 4 of us go and have a great time.  Someone will invariably sink a long putt or roll one from tee to the green.  But it reminds me of a time gone by when I would play as a kid.

The same city has a mini golf park.  It costs $11.50 per person to play... lol.

John

Edited by 70sSanO
  • Like 1

Note: This thread is 1496 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!