IGNORED

Has COVID-19 Affected Your Golf?

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 1463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, TN94z said:

No and No. I actually talked with a doctor yesterday about his thoughts on this. He stated that a normally healthy person will not likely even realize they have it. You might have a scratchy throat or a slight cough. The real concerns are nursing homes and individuals with an already compromised immune system. So, I am not concerned unless the CDC comes out and tells me that it is much worse than what was originally thought.

So glad you posted this. I live next door to a doctor and nurse and they have both told me the same thing. I"m wondering why the media has jumped on this so hard? Elections? I don't understand. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
3 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

So glad you posted this. I live next door to a doctor and nurse and they have both told me the same thing. I"m wondering why the media has jumped on this so hard? Elections? I don't understand. 

I believe it is being used for political purposes. The media has turned into a mass hysteria producing outlet. It's their job to jump on these stories and hammer them into the ground. Having said that, the mortality rate once it hits nursing homes has been higher than the flu, so I am not saying it could not get bad. For me, I'll wait until the CDC tells me it's time to panic

Edited by TN94z
  • Like 1

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I'm not sure what to do - post round handshakes, the last two times I've played this month it's been normal, handshake, nice round. I'm prepared for someone to say, sorry, but I'll refrain from handshakes in light of the present situation. Maybe bump elbows or shoes or something?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1. Yes. I work at a hospital.

2. No, but I figure walking the golf course is pretty good social distancing, so I plan to do more of it. I wonder if the courses will be less crowded.

War Eagle!

1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

I'm not sure what to do - post round handshakes, the last two times I've played this month it's been normal, handshake, nice round. I'm prepared for someone to say, sorry, but I'll refrain from handshakes in light of the present situation. Maybe bump elbows or shoes or something?

Vulcan salute! 

It has affected my work. We are a Global company and have folks in China and elsewhere. Everyone is safe and we get daily updates. Travel is reviewed by HR and management prior to being approved. 

Around town, folks are being cautious as is recommended by CDC, state and local authorities. It don’t think being cautious is silly. In 1917-18, 50 million people died of a variant of the H1N1 virus with over 500 million infected, which was a large percent of the world population. Until the CDC gets a handle on when and how it is infectious, and who are the at risk population, washing hands and being cautious is fine. Buying extra TP is a bit much though.

Same goes with the flu, which people aren’t as cautious about but should be. People go to work sick and is just spreads. At risk people die which is sad.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1- not at all. but i guess that maybe in a few weeks i will be doing home-working all week.

2- not at all. same thing, maybe in a few weeks my club is going to be closed or with some attendence restrictions.

Here we have Dengue and Influenza, both kills a lot more people everyday than coronavirus so we are still not much worried about it.

35 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

Because the data we have shows it devastates older people. I think the death rate in China was 15% for people over 80. It also takes up a ton of resources from the health system. The people who get it badly need intensive treatment, and they need it for a long time. If you read stuff that's coming out of Italy, they are supposedly rationing care severely (for example, if you are over 65, you aren't going to get any advanced care). Plus, this virus is likely to hit health care workers hard, which makes delivering care even more difficult.

So, if you're healthy and under 50, there's not a ton of individual risk to you. But we have a lot of people who aren't in that category.

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

14 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Because the data we have shows it devastates older people. I think the death rate in China was 15% for people over 80. It also takes up a ton of resources from the health system. The people who get it badly need intensive treatment, and they need it for a long time. If you read stuff that's coming out of Italy, they are supposedly rationing care severely (for example, if you are over 65, you aren't going to get any advanced care). Plus, this virus is likely to hit health care workers hard, which makes delivering care even more difficult.

So, if you're healthy and under 50, there's not a ton of individual risk to you. But we have a lot of people who aren't in that category.

My 86 year old mother just finished her chemo for ovarian cancer. So we are taking every precaution. People should think of the at risk population and just take extra care for their sake.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

3 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

Not on golf....my 401 however....

I'm sure you know this, but unless you're in retirement (in which case I hope your asset allocation was chosen appropriately), there's a lot less to worry about on this front.  

The virus has affected me at work, in the sense that my employer (like just about every school in southern California) is changing how the rest of the school year (I hope not much more than that) is going to play out.  

Will this affect my golf?  I don't know.  I don't think it will negatively affect it, unless the alternate school plans are the issue.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Gives a whole new meaning to "get your lips off my golf ball"

affect me golfwise? 

1. we have a trip to Kauai planned and I want to play one day.  So if that trip is cancelled, then I'd be affected in golf...
  2. I had a work trip to Asia cancelled and one of the guys was going to take me golfing on the weekend - so that's one
  3. If the clubhouse runs out of toilet paper...well then yes also
Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

It hasnt effected me, or my golf game as yet. I still go about my everyday golf routine. I still practice, or play every day. 

Future, negative effects might happen depending on what precautions the powers to be might regulate in our area. 

Fortunately there hasn't been  any talk about shutting down golf courses as yet. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

2 minutes ago, Patch said:

It hasnt effected me, or my golf game as yet. I still go about my everyday golf routine. I still practice, or play every day. 

Future, negative effects might happen depending on what precautions the powers to be might regulate in our area. 

Fortunately there hasn't been  any talk about shutting down golf courses as yet. 

Hey I'll be that guy; Affect is usually a verb, and it means to impact or change. Effect is usually a noun, an effect is the result of a change.

God, I hate "THAT GUY". 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

4 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Hey I'll be that guy; Affect is usually a verb, and it means to impact or change. Effect is usually a noun, an effect is the result of a change.

God, I hate "THAT GUY". 

You had to go there!😜

Scott

My Swing Thread

Just now, boogielicious said:

You had to go there!😜

Yeah, I was feeling snarky. I really do hate that guy who has to correct everyone's English. 

I'll go sit in the corner until I think I can play nice again.

18 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

My 86 year old mother just finished her chemo for ovarian cancer. So we are taking every precaution. People should think of the at risk population and just take extra care for their sake.

I've heard a lot of Senior homes as well as hospitals have been more heavily screening visitors. Certainly, no visiting if you've been on an airplane in the last 2 weeks. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

1 hour ago, p1n9183 said:

1- not at all. but i guess that maybe in a few weeks i will be doing home-working all week.

2- not at all. same thing, maybe in a few weeks my club is going to be closed or with some attendence restrictions.

Here we have Dengue and Influenza, both kills a lot more people everyday than coronavirus so we are still not much worried about it.

The death rate for influenza is somewhere in the 0.1% range, whereas the new coronavirus is most likely in the 2-5% range. We won't know exactly until it has played out, but it seems to be 20-50 times more lethal than the standard flu. I still don't think it's as problematic as media is leading on, but to say the flu kills more isn't fair because far more people catch the standard flu (at the moment).

• Upvote 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Numbers can be deceiving and the media always will take advantage of it to sell more. In 20 days of the virus almost 5k died in the world from coronavirus. (around 250 each day).  Every day 150k people die around the world.
Only the 0.0017% of the dead each day are from coronavirus... there are monsters out there more lethal than coronavirus.. just saying.    

It hasn’t affected my golf as of now, but apparently toilet paper is flying off the shelves.

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

God, I hate "THAT GUY". 

Effect is also a verb, but most people mean affect rather than effect when using it as a verb.

verb
  1. cause (something) to happen; bring about.
    "nature always effected a cure"

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I personally don't think this is much more dangerous than the flu itself. The numbers game that are being broadcast by Major news networks might not be accurate as people think they are. The percentage of fatalities has been touted as significantly different when in fact they may not be at all. When they give you a percentage of fatalities for the flu virus it's based on an estimated number of people who they think have gotten the flu, as well as an estimated number of people who have died from the flu. To be a statistic in the coronavirus you have to be tested positive for the virus, whereas they never do this testing for the flu, or at least not as exact. If you look at a map of each virus, the flu and the corona, you'll see the flu is much more widespread and devastating. I personally think that eventually the coronavirus will be on and equal Plateau as the flu virus. As far as how it affects my golf game, not at all.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Note: This thread is 1463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!