IGNORED

Has COVID-19 Affected Your Golf?

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 1460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Being 62, a leukemia survivor, having had a bone marrow transplant, and currently taking three different immune suppression medications... I wonder what the death rate is for me and my cohorts. I'm pretty sure no one knows, not enough specific data I would think. 

Needless to say I am immune compromised.  My doctor says I'm not at more risk to catch it, but if I do I'm high risk to get pneumonia.

Taking precautions all the way to my wife yesterday quiting her job of 30 years worker at a grocery store (she's 54 so not too far from retirement age anyways).

So I am right now giving whether to play or not to play golf some thought.  It ocurred to me that pretty much everyone's hand goes into each golf cup and the virus can possible survive on a metal surface for a couple of days.  Seems pretty risky for me to let my hand go in a cup or maybe even risky for my ball to go in a cup.  I also wonder if there could be transfer to my ball by simple rolling over the grass, I just don't know.

I'm pretty sure gloves make no difference, the virus can transfer to gloves.  When I was in the hospital and later in recovery after my transplant, they recommended we don't wear gloves.  They said it was much better to just wash your hands often.

So will the coronavirus affect my golf, I think so.  Still deciding

Edited by No Mulligans
  • Informative 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@Vinsk

Here you go.

bbba4420-661e-11ea-afff-f6b8f80128c4

On March 1, the day after the first coronavirus death in the United States, brothers Matt and Noah Colvin set out in a silver SUV to pick up some...

Is this guy an opportunistic entrepreneur or an asshole?

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

14 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

The last one on the list and I hope he gets what he deserves.

• Like 1

Brian Kuehn

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

They sit in canoes to dramatize flooding only to see people walk by in the background showing the water to be less than ankle height. They act as though the wind is about to knock them down despite there being kids in the background playing without any problems. 

I think if you are drawn to the profession of news anchor or news reporter or even on-air weather person you probably have some of the "actor" in you.  Thus the sometimes silly over-dramatizations.

42 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

@Vinsk

Here you go.

On March 1, the day after the first coronavirus death in the United States, brothers Matt and Noah Colvin set out in a silver SUV to pick up some...

I think it falls into the category of “If you have to ask the question, you already know the answer.”

• Like 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Just now, Missouri Swede said:

I think it falls into the category of “If you have to ask the question, you already know the answer.”

Oh, I have an answer. Trust me.

Funny part, when I was reading the article it almost seemed like they were trying to pitch it as if I'm supposed to feel sorry for this dude. … 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

1 hour ago, snapfade said:

Go listen to the Hannity show, he will explain it to you at length daily now it seems. But H1N1 killed over 12,000 in the US. 

on occasion I will watch the Greg Gutfeld show but only because I have a crush on Cat.  On last night's show Greg said he's fine with our abundance of caution even if we look silly when this blows over in three weeks.

9 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Funny part, when I was reading the article it almost seemed like they were trying to pitch it as if I'm supposed to feel sorry for this dude. … 

Yeah, that’s my impression reading it, too.  Except I wonder if the NYT journalist had the opposite in mind, since he basically got them to admit to violating Tennessee law (felony? misdemeanor?)

and 

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I think its decent journalism. He played middle of the road, when most will be looking to beat on the guy. Not beating gets taken as supportive. I'm sure Amazon et al will take a look at their policies soon. I was field staff for Ace Hardware for a while. We tagged emergency items, mostly weather related for us, and had limits that went into affect by zip codes when storms hit. 

Gwinnett County schools are doing Digital Learning Days for at least the next week, and Spring Break will begin the last week of March.  I was told that the county brass has been planning for one to five weeks of Digital Learning Days, so it could be going on for quite some time.  If that's the case, I'll be able to get in some weekday rounds and just check my eCLASS on my phone for questions throughout the day. 

Also, we had been scheduled to be on a cruise for almost all of Spring Break, but that has been cancelled, so I'll have a chance to play then as well.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

10 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

@Vinsk

Here you go.

He's an asshole, and I hope he drowns in hand sanitizer! 

They put up a sign as you go into the pro shop that says if you have been coughing, sneezing or have shortness of breath go see a doctor. I told the guy behind the counter that's me about the 4th hole walking. Course a little thin for the weekend, but no plans to do anything yet. Depends on what happens this week I suppose.

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

On 3/15/2020 at 12:11 AM, Vinsk said:

80% of infections will be mild to no symptoms. It’s serious for certain people yes. But for the vast majority of people it’s flu like symptoms. 

I know you are a doctor, but we were also talking like that two weeks ago. I’m a dentist and my colleagues from Italy are reporting that the situation is dire. If you are working in a hospital you should mentally prepare for a situation you have not been in before. I hope I’m wrong but that’s how it looks like in a lot of European countries.

In the Netherlands more than half of the people in the ICUs are under 50.

Edited by Killa

As of right now all golf courses are closed over here as well. So only putting in house and swings in front of a mirror for me...

• Informative 1

1. Not as of yet, but we are already bracing for a major slowdown in business.

2. The weather has not been conducive to play in Ohio either, but I can see golf courses closing soon. Restaurants / bars are now shut down. The loss of business could mean the end for courses that are already struggling to survive.

• Like 1

- Shane

10 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

He's an asshole, and I hope he drowns in hand sanitizer! 

I just read he donated most of his supply and is under investigation for price gouging. It is a crime.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

(edited)
53 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I just read he donated most of his supply and is under investigation for price gouging. It is a crime.

I heard that on the radio too. I'm sure they were forced to donate or get a worse conviction

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

7 hours ago, Killa said:

I know you are a doctor, but we were also talking like that two weeks ago. I’m a dentist and my colleagues from Italy are reporting that the situation is dire. If you are working in a hospital you should mentally prepare for a situation you have not been in before. I hope I’m wrong but that’s how it looks like in a lot of European countries.

In the Netherlands more than half of the people in the ICUs are under 50.

I’m going by the CDC and WHO reports. It’s not just age either. Patients with underlying health issues contribute to the serious/fatal illnesses as well. We don’t know the health conditions of those ‘ more than half under 50.’ Again, I’m discouraging the panic mode and not the common sense and diligent protection behavior out there. We have droves of young, healthy, asymptomatic people flocking to urgent cares and that needs to stop.

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 1460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!