IGNORED

Has COVID-19 Affected Your Golf?

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 1468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Vinsk said:

We have droves of young, healthy, asymptomatic people flocking to urgent cares and that needs to stop.

Indeed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I live in the UK, and it's all gone bonkers. Nature is simply attempting to trim the tree from the top. 8 billion people on planet earth, and we are worried about loosing a few old and sick ones. As far as golf is concerned, YES. I meant to be going to play in Portugal in 4 weeks, and I think there is about a one in a hundred chance of it actually happening. Then the fight to get money back

- Simon Hornsby

2 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I’m going by the CDC and WHO reports. It’s not just age either. Patients with underlying health issues contribute to the serious/fatal illnesses as well. We don’t know the health conditions of those ‘ more than half under 50.’ Again, I’m discouraging the panic mode and not the common sense and diligent protection behavior out there. We have droves of young, healthy, asymptomatic people flocking to urgent cares and that needs to stop.

I don't know if this makes sense, but when I was living over in the Netherlands (1995-1998) it seemed everyone there was a smoker. Hell, even their soccer teams had guys smoking on the sidelines. Since the virus seems tougher on folks with compromised respiratory systems, it seems logical to me that smoking would lead to bigger issues. 

I am I way off here, or is that a possible explanation? 

I've spent a lot of time in Northern Italy in my career. (They make tons of gearboxes, motors, hydraulic pumps there.) We always called it "The China of Europe". Again, it seemed like everyone and their cat smoked cigarettes there as well. Am I way off base? 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

So far, my golf is not affected.  Both my NC spots and my home club in VA are open, including the bar and restaurant.  Social events have been cancelled or postponed.  Each club has emailed the members, outlining the precautions they're taking.  The emails also outline the precautions they expect each member to take.  Hand sanitizer is available at multiple locations in the clubhouse.  I hope they don't need to take further measures, but even more so I hope they do what is appropriate for the health and safety of the staff and the members.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

(edited)
27 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I’m going by the CDC and WHO reports. It’s not just age either. Patients with underlying health issues contribute to the serious/fatal illnesses as well. We don’t know the health conditions of those ‘ more than half under 50.’ Again, I’m discouraging the panic mode and not the common sense and diligent protection behavior out there. We have droves of young, healthy, asymptomatic people flocking to urgent cares and that needs to stop.

This is the point I am trying to make too. I have no doubts about how easily it is spread or how bad it can be, but the shear panic that is being caused is crazy. I work at a hospital as well and they immediately took precautions to stop the onset of their ER being flooded. The fact that you cannot go to the grocery store and get toilet paper, sanitizer, or even many groceries now is ridiculous. The elderly, who need these items more than anyone, cannot get them because the younger generation has ran out and bought it all up out of panic.

Edited by TN94z
  • Like 1

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I'm from Belgium and as of last Friday all sports facilities (and bars, restaurants, theatres and such) are closed, at least until April 3rd.
So no golf for me at the moment for some time.
And I work for a sports channel (tv, radio and online) and all we had to do lately is cancel broadcasts. Not a fun way to spend what is normally our busiest time of the year. Not to mention they might postpone and/or cancel the European Championships (soccer) and the Olympics.

In the Netherlands they've taken the same measures as of yesterday: no more bars, restaurants or sports, for the whole country, at least until April 6th.

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I am I way off here, or is that a possible explanation? 

Well being a smoker doesn’t automatically mean you have a compromised respiratory system. Many people smoke for dozens of years and never develop COPD/Cancer and many people die from cancer/copd who never smoked. But by far yes, you are more likely to have respiratory issues as a smoker and therefore more susceptible to this and other illnesses.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Working from home for the foreseeable future.  As for golf, it rained all weekend and is supposed to rain pretty much all week, so that was the killer.  Once it dries up, I'll wash off the push cart and hit em, so anybody in the DFW willing to do the same, HMU

Here in the state of Washington they are closing all restaurants, bars, entertainment and recreational facilities at 12:01 a.m. on Tuesday.  Hoping that doesn't mean golf courses.  We will know more this morning at 10:30 a.m. when the Governor holds a press conference.

When I go to a news website, or turn on my TV, I see interviews with Dr. Fauci, government people, epidemiologists, and health experts.  Or reports about the latest government measures that have been taken.  Is that what the outrage against the media overreaction is about?  That seems to me exactly what the news should be doing.  Or are you all seeing reporters just going off the cuff or spreading things that aren't true?  Maybe its just that I don't watch local news? 

7 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Here in the state of Washington they are closing all restaurants, bars, entertainment and recreational facilities at 12:01 a.m. on Tuesday.  Hoping that doesn't mean golf courses.  We will know more this morning at 10:30 a.m. when the Governor holds a press conference.

I think NY, NJ, and CT just did that.  I think the Wash. DC area isn't far behind.

• Like 1

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

58 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I used to live in the Tri-Cities area, Richland. I really enjoyed it out there. Family issues caused a move or I would’ve stayed. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, dsc123 said:

I think NY, NJ, and CT just did that.  I think the Wash. DC area isn't far behind.

Ohio did that yesterday evening. 

The Michigan governor just closed all entertainment places for two weeks, gyms, theaters, restaurants except take out.   This will affect my golf practice.   The athletic club is where I practice during the winter.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Mass just did the same, there is discussion, mostly by me, to break out the beer cart now. Park it at the turn. True, 45 is a bit cold for drinking outside but I think it counts as delivery which is allowed and it gives us a place to complain about...well.....everything.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

From what I've read, it's only indoor facilities.  So golf courses should be ok.  i wonder if we have to keep the maximum number of people on the course to 50?

Edited by phillyk

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

One of my courses decided not to open yet. They were supposed to open today.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

So far, as best I can tell the snow has been a bigger problem for the courses remaining closed. Of course the restaurant portions of the course are pretty much kaput. 

Here’s a set of recommendations:

GettyImages-88166608.jpg

A leading infectious disease expert says the game can still be enjoyed, albeit with some modifications

• Informative 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Note: This thread is 1468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!