IGNORED

Has COVID-19 Affected Your Golf?

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 1468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

One nearby course has closed but where I play is open and accepting tee times email or phone in and won't allow returning snowbird members to book for 2 weeks.  We distance from each other as required and leave flagstick in.  We don't shake hands after the round, we just do an elbow bump.  So far, so good.  Fingers crossed that it doesn't impact us and gets resolved soon.  lot's of retired and elderly in our area so we need to be diligent.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1. My employer is Trying to get as many of us as possible working from home. I already do that 2 days a week so it’s not a huge adjustment. But grocery shopping has become a real challenge.

2. So far courses are still open but that could change. I plan to play as often as I can unless we get completely locked down.

11 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

It has officially impacted me now.

I along with @CarlSpackler, @klineka and @Bonvivant were supposed to play the Irish Open 2, the sequel at Bent Tree Golf Club. 

Well the both the Irish Open and The Irish Open 2 have been postponed until further notice. 

I guess I'm not surprised. A little disappointed I was looking forward to actually meeting a couple of the gentlemen from this fine forum. For now, that will have to wait. 

I am not surprised either. Keep us posted.

I usually put together an outing or 2 each summer as well. First let's get this madness behind us.

- Shane

10 hours ago, tehuti said:

1. My employer is Trying to get as many of us as possible working from home.

Gives a whole new meaning to “it looks like he just phoned it in.”

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

It's getting warmer and I'm working from home, so my schedule is more flexible.

2 courses in the area are now open (maybe a couple more).

I wonder if this might combine to me playing more - on nearly empty courses.  That's my happy place.

On 3/15/2020 at 9:20 AM, ChetlovesMer said:

@Vinsk

Here you go.

bbba4420-661e-11ea-afff-f6b8f80128c4

On March 1, the day after the first coronavirus death in the United States, brothers Matt and Noah Colvin set out in a silver SUV to pick up some...

Is this guy an opportunistic entrepreneur or an asshole?

You know those are not mutually exclusive......

Bill - 

Played yesterday and will play again Friday.  Will keep playing as long as it stays open.  The course I play at said they will stay open as long as they let them...

On 3/11/2020 at 8:50 AM, dennyjones said:

1.  Has the Coronavirus affected you

2.  Do you think it will affect your golf game?

1. Working from home for at least the next month.

2. My course never officially opened for the season. My guess is they will stay closed for a while. Members can play it, I've been out a few times and will go out this afternoon. There are usually 2 or 3 other cars in the parking lot and I've only seen people close enough to wave to (not that I'd give 'em a hug if they were closer.)

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Don't know of any courses in the Greater Houston area that have closed and not allowing play.  However, all restaurants and bars have been ordered closed.  So, there is not 19th hole or grill at the clubs.  Some are allowing you to get take out food but all seating areas are closed to public/members. 

As far as the golf courses are concerned, those I know about, they are removing the rakes from the bunkers and asking you to not handle the pin...just putt with it in and move on.  Some are only renting carts to single riders as long as they have fleet to do so.  Water coolers have been removed from the courses.  Congregating outside before or after round is highly discouraged.  

From what I hear, because of the dictate for people to work from home where possible...the golf courses around here are booked pretty solid until late afternoon. 

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

8 minutes ago, RickK said:

As far as the golf courses are concerned, those I know about, they are removing the rakes from the bunkers and asking you to not handle the pin...just putt with it in and move on. 

But it's fine to stick your hand in the petri dish, I mean the golf cup?

golf-cup11.jpg

In an effort to keep sane and avoid unwanted germs, this genius superintendent at a Connecticut golf course has a bright idea.

Edited by No Mulligans

18 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

golf-cup11.jpg

In an effort to keep sane and avoid unwanted germs, this genius superintendent at a Connecticut golf course has a bright idea.

Take the putting disc you use in your living room and place it next to each hole.  People are doing that.

I think eventually this country is going to have to move on and start letting people go back to work and things like that or we won't have a country left to go back to. I think Coronavirus it's something we're going to have to live with for a while until the vaccine comes out and deal with it in a very responsible way as we have been over the last weeks or so. I still think the mortality rate is not that much different than the standard flu , it is just showing a higher mortality rate because nobody has been vaccinated for it like the regular flu. I would imagine some people have had the coronavirus and not even realize they had it. I think we are over panicking with this virus, not to minimize the importance of dealing with it, but I think we could deal better not panicking so much. I really think golf is the perfect game for people to be able to get out and play being that you are outside and not in close contact with others.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

3 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

golf-cup11.jpg

From down here in the salt mines, I hear my courses have done exactly this.

4 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

From down here in the salt mines, I hear my courses have done exactly this.

Yep. I just got the email. Here are the other steps they are taking.

• League and Outing Play are postponed until April 27th.
  • Courses are open for casual play with 15 minute tee times.  Any tee times that are currently booked are honored at your reserved time. 
  • Food and beverages are carry out only and limited in items.
  • Cups are set one inches above ground level as a target to avoid touches to the cup and flag.  Putt till you hit the cup and then pick up the ball and move on (Learn More).|

• No bunker rakes
  • ProShop attendance are limited to no more than 10 customers at one time.  We ask you to help us by waiting outside if the ProShop is busy. 
  • Rainchecks will not be offered in the event of inclement weather, play at your own risk. In the event of a weather related delays you are expected to wait in your car. 
  • Carts are disinfected after each us and we will accommodate one person per cart as carts are available.

- Shane

A new one occurred to me today as I was playing.  You know those broken tees you find on a par 3 and use?  Well, they've been rubbed pretty good by questionable hands twisting them into the ground... maybe just 5-10 minutes ago!

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

A new one occurred to me today as I was playing.  You know those broken tees you find on a par 3 and use?  Well, they've been rubbed pretty good by questionable hands twisting them into the ground... maybe just 5-10 minutes ago!

The CDC stated today the Coronavirus can live on a surface up to 3 hours!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

The CDC stated today the Coronavirus can live on a surface up to 3 hours!

Ignoring the fact that viruses are never "alive," do you have the URL to this? I keep hearing all sorts of time frames. Some have been up to eight or nine days.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

They are closing all of  the beaches of our county, 72 miles of shoreline tomorrow morning. All public beach access parking will be closed, and all Cocoa Beach city parks will be closed. No word on the golf course. I teed off at 6pm this evening and normally there is only a handful of us there, tonight there was a nice crowd. Must be preparing for the inevitable.

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

Note: This thread is 1468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!