IGNORED

Has COVID-19 Affected Your Golf?

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 1462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

45 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

From that far away, you wouldn't know it it hit the raised cup liner or the flagstick, I wouldn't count it for an ace either.  But again, my suggested procedure is only a suggestion, loosely based on the actual Rules for both play and handicap.  If anyone wants a real answer, they should ask their local authorities.  

I can’t wait for the internet to come up with a picture of an embedded ball touching the cup liner, “Is this an Ace?” 😉

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

I can’t wait for the internet to come up with a picture of an embedded ball touching the cup liner, “Is this an Ace?” 😉

It wouldn't be a whole lot different from this one:

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

6 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

It wouldn't be a whole lot different from this one:

In this, the liner is higher than allowed by the rules, right? I thought I remember hearing/reading it has to be 1 inch below the surface of the green. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

In this, the liner is higher than allowed by the rules, right? I thought I remember hearing/reading it has to be 1 inch below the surface of the green. 

The Rules are a bit odd here. The cup itself is an inch below. Some clubs who don’t want to paint will use a plastic ring. It sits higher.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

The Rules are a bit odd here. The cup itself is an inch below. Some clubs who don’t want to paint will use a plastic ring. It sits higher.

I read into the other thread a bit deeper. The R&A have something that stipulates that this extra liner must be 1 inch below, not sure on usga though. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

17 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

That's correct, per the definition of Hole.  However, if you look back to post 285,  you'll find that we started discussing the procedure of leaving the cup itself an inch high to stop balls from going into the hole, as a precaution against COVID transmission when a holed ball is removed from the hole. The conversation kind of meandered from there.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I played 9 holes today in sopping wet conditions from overnight rain. At this municiple course (Madden Hills) in Dayton OH they left the cup coming out of the ground 2-3 inches. I am assuming that this is in response to corona virus to prevent people from putting their hands in the cup or on the flag stick.  It could also be weather related but I had not seen that ever before.It really bothered me at first but once I accepted it as intentional and not odd mistake after seeing the same on whole two, it wasn't so bad.

WITB:

:ping: G25 8.5 with Hazardous black stiff shaft. Anser 3W 15 degree

:mizuno: MP-14 3-9. 51* Mizuno, :cleveland:54* Cleveland RAW ,60*  588 :odyssey: #2 Stricker special

Just now, topoftheline89 said:

I played 9 holes today in sopping wet conditions from overnight rain. At this municiple course (Madden Hills) in Dayton OH they left the cup coming out of the ground 2-3 inches. I am assuming that this is in response to corona virus to prevent people from putting their hands in the cup or on the flag stick.  It could also be weather related but I had not seen that ever before.It really bothered me at first but once I accepted it as intentional and not odd mistake after seeing the same on whole two, it wasn't so bad.

I can't believe you played, you absolute madman! Glad you got it in though. Some other Dayontians on here mentioned that some local courses had done this, in the last couple of days.

There were lots of people out today on my home course but it was cart path only, windy and cold.   I stayed in hibernating.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

True story:  While playing yesterday I mentioned to Steve, my golf buddy, that since golf is one of the few sports left for us to play that I envisioned every person who's ever swung a driver a few times on a practice range would start showing up on the course.

Walked into the pro shop today to grab (carefully) a bucket of balls and the guys in the shop were looking out the window at the first tee and bending over in laughter.  A guy who had never played golf before was dribbling 20 yard shots down the fairway, one after the other.

It's come to fruition.  

@Double Mocha Man, who'da thunk that it would take an international crisis to bring more people to the game. In the famous words of Jack Butler, "(220, 221), Whatever it takes!"

The bottom of the "cup" is 1/2" below. You must putt with the flag stick in. Bunkers are out of play because the rakes have been removed. You can drop behind without penalty. But they're usually so crappy and firm you can just hit a chip shot out of them which is what I did today because it was a better lie than the rough behind the bunker. Distancing between people is strictly enforced. At least I got some fresh air. I have to think of an unflattering name for my driver.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Just got back from my course a little while ago, playing my shiny new Wilson Staff irons, right out of the box from UPS, and, our course has no plans to close down anytime soon! The grill room is closed and there is a sign on the pro shop door saying no more than 10 people allowed in at one time. I have never seen more than 5 in that place at once. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

Just now, snapfade said:

Just got back from my course a little while ago, playing my shiny new Wilson Staff irons, right out of the box from UPS, and, our course has no plans to close down anytime soon! The grill room is closed and there is a sign on the pro shop door saying no more than 10 people allowed in at one time. I have never seen more than 5 in that place at once. 

Which Staff model? *thinking about those sexy blades*

D200, I didn't need new irons. I just thought they looked cool and for 220 bucks with free shipping I got them. They were fun today, I like them. 

• Like 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

10 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

I am curious if people should post scores for handicap when the holes are cut like this. 🤔

10 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

A quick interpretation, my own personal opinion, and this may not be in exact accordance with the Handicap Rules.  I'd suggest that you record your Most Likely Score, as outlined in the Handicap Rules.  Certainly this works for balls that stop near the cup, but might be a little more problematic for a ball that strikes the raised cup liner.  In that case, I expect you should use your best judgement as to whether the ball would have gone in the hole (speed and line are both right) or whether it would have missed.  The only other course of action is not to post at all.  I suggest that you ask the pro of committee, if there is one.

In effect you’d be increasing the size of the hole.  Just as with any other large hole tournament, I can’t envision any scenario where you could actually post a score.

My club is talking about implementing some such thing this weekend.  We’ll see...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Gov. Newsome just closed all businesses with few exceptions such as grocery stores, pharmacies etc. He also made it a law that everyone stay home. So it looks like every golf course in Ca is now closed.

Edited by No Mulligans

6 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

Gov. Newsome just closed all businesses with few exceptions such as grocery stores, pharmacies etc. He also made it a law that everyone stay home. So it looks like every golf course in Ca is now closed.

One of our daughters lives in Long Beach and she is a medical translator so she has to go to doctors offices and hospitals and meet with non- English speaking patients and the doctors/ staff and translate everything and she says its nuts. Most of her time is spent with workman's comp stuff but she has seen people that have needed to be tested for the virus but the hospitals and some of the doctors offices are starting to become overwhelmed. She is part of the group of people exempt from the lockdown as far as going to work goes. 

Note: This thread is 1462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!