IGNORED

Has COVID-19 Affected Your Golf?

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 1466 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There’s a confirmed case of COVID-19 within 20 miles from me. They’ve closed the schools there. It’s only a matter of time before the same happens in my town, especially considering it’s a major hub for train commuters to NYC.

The school district has been preparing for the past week, coming up with contingency plans and sending work home with my kids for them to do in the event of school closure.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, billchao said:

There’s a confirmed case of COVID-19 within 20 miles from me. They’ve closed the schools there. It’s only a matter of time before the same happens in my town, especially considering it’s a major hub for train commuters to NYC.

The school district has been preparing for the past week, coming up with contingency plans and sending work home with my kids for them to do in the event of school closure.

Stay safe, brother. Take care of your family and yourself. 

Edited by ChetlovesMer

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

2 hours ago, TN94z said:

From what I have read on Italy, the reason it spread so bad there is because COVID-19 happened right as Italy was experiencing their seasonal peak of the flu and were being treated as the flu because the symptoms are about the same. The results were their hospital becoming a breeding ground for the spread of COVID. The virus was basically spreading undetected which accounts for the abnormally high amount of cases in that area. And then it boiled down to testing. I have read in a few articles that they have tested much more intensely than other European countries which is going to show a much higher infection rate.Not to mention the average age of death from the COVID-19 in Italy is 81. They have a very high percentage of people over 65. So, yeah, there have been some younger people die from the virus, but that happens with the flu as well. One of Italy's first cases was a 30 something year old man that died. He had gone to the hospital several times and they never picked up that he had the virus. With the virus initially being mistaken for the flu and not treated appropriately, there is no telling how long the virus had been being spread before they realized what was happening. He infected many nurses and doctors during this process. While Italy has had a terrible situation, I don't think it is really comparing apples to apples with the US. As far as available beds and doctors and what not, that might end up being an issue just from the mass hysteria that could present itself with people going into a panic thinking they have the virus. While I work for AT&T, I work onsite at the biggest hospital in our area. I can remember years ago when the flu got really bad. The ER was full, most of the hospital was full, and they had areas quarantined off for flu patients. I could easily see a situation like this happening.

One reference as of yesterday:

122,419 cases of coronavirus and a total of 4,389 deaths.

Of the cases, 66,958 have recovered and 51,072 are currently sick with the virus

The most cases are in China - 80,787 - where the virus originated, from the city of Wuhan

The death toll is the highest in China at 3,160, but Italy is in second with 631, followed by Iran with 354 deaths.

I have kind of sent this off topic so this will be my last post related strictly to the virus and not what the OP intended.

just to clarify. There is no treatment for the virus itself. As of now most of the treatment is symptomatic. And the numbers for the death toll in Italy are outdated, I expect them to be over 1000 today, as it was higher than 800 yesterday already. 

5 minutes ago, Killa said:

just to clarify. There is no treatment for the virus itself. As of now most of the treatment is symptomatic. And the numbers for the death toll in Italy are outdated, I expect them to be over 1000 today, as it was higher than 800 yesterday already. 

Right, it's a virus so you just treat the symptoms. I have no doubts the numbers will climb. I also believe the mortality rate will drop. Having said all of this, I am no doctor. I haven't experienced any cases at our hospital. I am expecting some to roll in this week or early next. It's inevitable really. Other than that happening, it has not affected me or my golf game. What's killing my golf game at the moment is the unusual amount of rain we have been having

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

• Administrator

PGA Tour events are going forward without fans.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 minutes ago, TN94z said:

Right, it's a virus so you just treat the symptoms. I have no doubts the numbers will climb. I also believe the mortality rate will drop. Having said all of this, I am no doctor. I haven't experienced any cases at our hospital. I am expecting some to roll in this week or early next. It's inevitable really. Other than that happening, it has not affected me or my golf game. What's killing my golf game at the moment is the unusual amount of rain we have been having

I just heard a doctor on the radio saying if you think you have it DON'T go to the hospital or emergency room. One of the problems China had was everyone thought they had it and ran to hospitals. So then they had tons of people (both infected and not infected) crowding into hospitals. A lot of those people had weakened Immunity systems because they were sick with something else. Thus it produced a great breading ground for the virus. 

If you think you have it, you are supposed to stay home. You can call your health care provider, but don't go to the hospital. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

21 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I just heard a doctor on the radio saying if you think you have it DON'T go to the hospital or emergency room. One of the problems China had was everyone thought they had it and ran to hospitals. So then they had tons of people (both infected and not infected) crowding into hospitals. A lot of those people had weakened Immunity systems because they were sick with something else. Thus it produced a great breading ground for the virus. 

If you think you have it, you are supposed to stay home. You can call your health care provider, but don't go to the hospital. 

Yeah, I have heard that as well. That is why the ERs get full and then it just aids in people being affected that were not previous carriers. Then they get sent home because their tests were good, but they got infected after the tests were administered. Could be a terrible chain of events if not handled properly.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Here in Argentina sports are now played without fans, but at the same time we still travel by subway or train one over each other. It make no sense.

I haven’t changed much of anything due to the virus. Right now it’s the rain that messing up golf/practice. In January we discussed a Panama Canal Cruise......glad we nixed that

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Well over here the ERs are empty. People who don’t REEEEEALY need to go there just won’t go because of risk of infection. The skiing and ski jumping world cup finals that were supposed to happen in my country were canceled, the football champions league is played in front of empty stadiums, the ice hockey and volleyball national championship leagues have been suspended... I will be working only tomorrow and then we have to close our offices (still unofficial but should be confirmed tomorrow) for at least 3 weeks...

2 hours ago, dennyjones said:

In Michigan they are continuing with the high school sports w/o fans.   

Boy, change that to an underperforming professional sports team, and it's a set-up line.  (But I wouldn't do this to high schoolers or college).

"They're continuing with the Springfield Porcupine baseball games, just without fans."

"So, really no change then?"

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

6 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Stay safe, brother. Take care of your family and yourself. 

Thanks. The same to you and everyone else here. Hopefully I’ll be ok. I’m around a lot of different people during the day but I also wash my hands and face a couple dozen times a day.

Just talked to my brother who’s a web developer. His company is enacted a work from home policy for everyone who is able to.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 3/11/2020 at 6:50 AM, dennyjones said:

1.  Has the Coronavirus affected you

2.  Do you think it will affect your golf game?

1. Only to the extend I don't travel as much as I would otherwise.

2. If you mean whether it would affect me playing a round, ... hard to say.  But given it has limited my travel, it may increase my playing time - unless they shut down unnecessary movement of people due to Covid-19 outbreak in the area, then it would shut down my rounds.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Just a heads up as you all seem so confident it won’t affect your golf game (I was hoping to get a couple of rounds in in the next few weeks as well) - in Italy all courses are closed. 

4 minutes ago, Killa said:

Just a heads up as you all seem so confident it won’t affect your golf game (I was hoping to get a couple of rounds in in the next few weeks as well) - in Italy all courses are closed. 

Just very interesting since it is one sport where you're in fresh, moving (hopefully not too moving) air.  You can easily elect to avoid things and items that could contaminate you.  Stay out of the power cart with others... roll those clubs. I mean hell, we still have to go to the grocery store... that's a cesspool of contamination, even before the corona virus.  I'll choose the golf course.

Note: This thread is 1466 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!