IGNORED

Has COVID-19 Affected Your Golf?

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 1462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

55 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Don't forget to write them a nice thank you note... and include a scorecard.

It is weird to go on my favorite sports website and see everything postponed or cancelled.  I miss checking those box scores.  I will have to start checking the opera and ballet box scores...

Broadway has cancelled shows too!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Do you play Savanahs? I’ve played it three of four times. I like their logo.

Every once in a while. It's a nice course, they just changed owners last year I believe. 

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I sold my stock in them as soon as you mentioned your good luck.

What?!  You don't hit up the Island Waterfront after golf???

Not too often since I live within walking distance from there i'm kind of burned out on the place.  I have to suffer through the house band playing all of your 70's classic rock favorites. The bass player has a wireless system so he walks around the bar at times. Average age of the band is 62. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

They’re closing the schools in my district next week. My kids will be given assignments to do at home. It’s a proactive measure.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

All K-12 in Michigan are closed until April 6th.

from my friend in Italy:   yesterday 3/12/2020

Living in Italy we are all in house arrest at the moment...schools, shops, bar restaurants...all closed. Reached and surpassed the 1K dead mark today. China apart we are the most affected country and everyday new restrictions are applied. I don't know anyone directly affected but panic everywhere and cities remind post apocalyptic movies.

Shot an 84 today on my par 71 short course (5100 yards). Had a blast, and wasn't affected much by the virus other than the course being wide open. Happy days. Couldn't putt the front 9 (SARS-CoV-2 fear gave me the yips I think) and was 10 over. Turned it around for a 3 over back with 2 birdies and got a bit of my putting back. Work was odd without management there today.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

• Administrator

PA schools are closed for two weeks. State of Emergency means they won't have to make them up, and teachers can't assign things or teach while they're closed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

State of Emergency means they won't have to make them up, and teachers can't assign things or teach while they're closed.

I didn't think of that.   I was sort of expecting the school year to extend.   Makes sense though.  

5 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Hey Boog (if I may)... Happy Birthday you young pup.  I had you down as not a day over 35.

The big 60!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

I didn't think of that.   I was sort of expecting the school year to extend.   Makes sense though.  

It probably varies from state to state. Our schools have to assign work or it will not count as a school day. The superintendent explicitly stated this (actually he said they will assign work during the closure so the days won’t have to be made up, which is basically the same thing).

Teachers are taking attendance via apps which we already have for communication. Basically I am vouching for my kids that they’re doing their required work, but they already have a bunch of online platforms they regularly do assignments on where their teachers can check to see if it’s done or not.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, billchao said:

It probably varies from state to state. Our schools have to assign work or it will not count as a school day. The superintendent explicitly stated this (actually he said they will assign work during the closure so the days won’t have to be made up, which is basically the same thing).

Teachers are taking attendance via apps which we already have for communication. Basically I am vouching for my kids that they’re doing their required work, but they already have a bunch of online platforms they regularly do assignments on where their teachers can check to see if it’s done or not.

The same would be true here in PA.

But if there's a "state of emergency" then students don't have to do 180 school days. They don't have to "make up" days or "work" through the days.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

The same would be true here in PA.

But if there's a "state of emergency" then students don't have to do 180 school days. They don't have to "make up" days or "work" through the days.

Might still be different here. Our governor declared a state of emergency before my school district decided to close.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Corona virus might actually affect my game in a good way.  Too busy with kid stuff to play much lately (coach 3 little league teams) and haven’t played since Christmas.

Now that everything is closed there is nothing to do - so maybe I can hit the range or course in the next couple weeks!

9 hours ago, billchao said:

Back in my day, when we only had four TV channels, this would not have been possible. Technology is definitely improving life in circumstances like this.

My godson’s college, UMass Lowell is doing the same with online courses.The fact that they and other colleges are prepared for this is outstanding.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

12 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

My godson’s college, UMass Lowell is doing the same with online courses.The fact that they and other colleges are prepared for this is outstanding.

My sister teaches at Univ. of Dayton. For her, the University definitely has the infrastructure for it, but she's got to sort out using it. 

Luckily for her, she has spring break to figure it out. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/11/2020 at 6:17 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

Yeah, I was feeling snarky. I really do hate that guy who has to correct everyone's English. 

I'll go sit in the corner until I think I can play nice  again.

If you are gonna be that guy don’t use colloquialisms... it’s play nicely not play nice...😎

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Stevie T

No, not affected by the virus directly aside from having to deal with school closings   yesterday my county closed all schools until April 10. So now having to work and care for young kids will be problematic.   I don't think the courses will be affected.  What a great way to isolate yourself huh?😀

I can’t go to the golf dome to practice in comfort. It’s inside and probably a terrible place in terms of spreading disease.

There’s a lot of seniors who go there and I don’t want to accidentally infect them (even tho I have no symptoms and don’t seem to be sick).

I think they should self quarantine since they are high risk people. I bet they are still going, so I don’t think I should go...for their sake. 

Note: This thread is 1462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!