IGNORED

COVID-19 Strikes the PGA Tour, Events to be Played Without Fans

Alohaed
Note: This thread is 1479 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

32 minutes ago, Chris223 said:

So you're saying the regular flu is significantly less of an issue?  Over 40,000 people in the US die from it each year...

Yes. Percentage wise the mortality rate is far higher. The first sars virus (SARS-CoV-1 also a betacoronavirus) had a mortality rate of 20 percent. Far higher than the .1 percent that normal flu carries. The official name of this virus is SARS-CoV-2. It isn't identical but it will be far more lethal than common influenza. 

Edited by Bonvivant
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, Chris223 said:

So you're saying the regular flu is significantly less of an issue?  Over 40,000 people in the US die from it each year...

Countries don’t voluntarily torpedo their economies for influenza. This is very different. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

4 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

Countries don’t voluntarily torpedo their economies for influenza. This is very different. 

That pretty much sums it up very succinctly. 

But obviously 55% of people know better.

27 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Percentage wise the mortality rate is far higher.

There is so much more to it than that. I won't go into it but not knowing the exact condition of the people who died compared to those who died from influenza makes this statement empty at best.

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 minute ago, Vinsk said:

There is so much more to it than that. I won't go into it but not knowing the exact condition of the people who died compared to those who died from influenza makes this statement empty at best.

You are arguing against a cold hard fact. Sars-cov-1 had a 20 percent mortality rate and normal flu is somewhere around .1 percent.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

Just now, Bonvivant said:

You are arguing against a cold hard fact. Sars-cov-1 had a 20 percent mortality rate and normal flu is somewhere around .1 percent.

Correct. He's going to say "But most of them are old and were sick anyway." 🙄

9 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

SARS had a mortality rate of just under 10%

Colin P.

2 hours ago, leftybutnotPM said:

I find it almost impossible to believe that someone can seriously have this opinion. ^ The people who have died are not saying it's "no big deal". I mean.. are you serious?

And please do not say that normal influenza is worse because it IS NOT. Covid -19 is more lethal by a very large order of magnitude.

This isn't about how the virus makes you feel. It's about stopping the spread of something that could easily infect the majority of the world's population.

The flu kills 20,000 people a year In the U.S. alone

This is silliness

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

3 minutes ago, David in FL said:

This is silliness

My God. Unbelievable.

Are you seriously suggesting that Covid-19 is not a major health issue?

You'll have 20,000  people in your state alone dying each week without a vaccine if strong measures aren't taken

Edited by leftybutnotPM

9 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Stop with the common sense

In David's bag....

12 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Apologies. i saw a false number earlier today. Even at 9 percent its completely different than the flu

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

My God. Unbelievable.

You'll have 20,000  people in your state alone dying each week without a vaccine if strong measures aren't taken

Apparently he lives in Florida where they get their news from Fox and their healthcare advice from Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh.

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

26 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

My God. Unbelievable.

20,000 are not going to be dying per week in a state? Come on. Infected? Perhaps. But not dying. You’re making this sound like the Bubonic Plague. It’s bad, don’t get me wrong, but people can survive it if they get it. You’re making it sound like everyone who gets it is dead. But it is the right thing to be cautious with it.

Edited by ChrisP

33 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

:doh:

In David's bag....

5 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Hey, why can't I go to bars?  Alcohol is disinfecting.  And we "buttress"... everyone separated by two bar stools.  That's if I don't sit next to the fireplace.  This place is on top of the corona virus and is safe.

keenans lounge.jpg

Heard of some folks in Vegas using vodka for hand sanitizer, since it was all sold out at the stores! 

2 hours ago, leftybutnotPM said:

These people have minimised the potential impact of something that could wipe out hundreds of millions of people. 

Up to 30% of people in the U.S. Think the moon landings were fake. 

Just because there are millions of morons* out there doesn't make it OK to be skeptical about something they know nothing about.

* I am not including you here. :-)

56 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

My God. Unbelievable.

Where did you get your medical degree? I haven't heard anyone who has one say anything like what you're spouting here. To me, you sound like a hand wringing, arm waving, Chicken Little type who runs around screaming, "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!" 

I put you in the same "tin foil hat" crowd as those who doubt the moon landing, since you seem to believe that COVID-19 will be the end of the world! You are also skeptical of how it will turn out as far as how we are reacting to the infection. And you don't know anything more about it than anyone else! 

Hundreds of millions of people? Data please. COVID-19 is at least as serious as the regular flu, but is being paid a whole lot more attention to. That's because it's new! This flu season it is estimated that 19 Million people were afflicted with the flu worldwide.  So far, 150-160,000 afflicted with COVID-19! Why didn't we take these kinds of precautions with the regular flu?  Because it's "just the flu'. COVID-19 is "something new"! Which lends itself to click bait, views, supposed reads seeing as how thing are judged on the internet these days, and ratings! 

Edited by Buckeyebowman

39 minutes ago, Asheville said:

Apparently he lives in Florida where they get their news from Fox and their healthcare advice from Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh.

I live in Florida, and I get my news from Alex Jones. Apparently this is all an orchestrated maneuver laid out at the last Bilderberg meeting by the disinfectant industry to boost declining sales of cleaning products worldwide.   

• Thumbs Up 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

• Administrator
3 hours ago, ChrisP said:

Actually know someone who had it and they’re saying it’s no worse than having the regular flu. People with struggling immune systems suffer worse just like they do with any serious flu. But she said it was no big deal.

Oh brother. It's not about the individual, it's about the population. It's about not overwhelming the health care system.

3 hours ago, ChrisP said:

I don’t know. I think it’s being overblown a bit by the media who overblows everything and it’s obviously crushing the economy, but it is what it is. You just deal with it.

It's not being overblown.

3 hours ago, leftybutnotPM said:

This isn't about how the virus makes you feel. It's about stopping the spread of something that could easily infect the majority of the world's population.

This.

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

This is silliness

Ridiculous take.

Gosh, people. Wake up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

24 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Because it's "just the flu'. COVID-19 is "something new"! Which lends itself to click bait, views, supposed reads seeing as how thing are judged on the internet these days, and ratings! 

Wow. These people really do walk among us.

Note: This thread is 1479 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!