IGNORED

COVID-19 Strikes the PGA Tour, Events to be Played Without Fans

Alohaed
Note: This thread is 1473 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

13 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

That's a man-made choice, not God's law.  I don't HAVE to have my coffee first thing in the morning.  I could have it later.  They could play the Masters in the summer...

Of course they could, but with all the other majors going on and the Olympics and Fed Ex Cup, it’s doubtful. Plus it thunderstorms every day in the South and is 100+ degrees.  They’d wait til October.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Herkimer said:

True or false?  Unless you're very old and frail, if you get COVID-19, you get sick and then in a week or two you recover and get better -- just like you do with the flu.  I've read that people who have gotten this virus say this.    

Your point?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

40 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Rumor:

heard there may be a chance for the Masters to be played in the fall.

Sure, but the Players? Couldn't they reschedule, especially of the Olympics is cancelled?

27 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

That's a man-made choice, not God's law.  I don't HAVE to have my coffee first thing in the morning.  I could have it later.  They could play the Masters in the summer...

True to an extent, but I have to image things like the strain of grass and irrigation system are set up for spring usage, and it would affect future Masters to keep everything open in the summer. 

Obviously, not insurmountable things - there are Georgia courses open in the summer - but it'll make it more difficult. (And interesting.)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

4 hours ago, Herkimer said:

True or false?  Unless you're very old and frail, if you get COVID-19, you get sick and then in a week or two you recover and get better -- just like you do with the flu.  I've read that people who have gotten this virus say this.    

https://nypost.com/2020/03/09/new-jersey-coronavirus-patient-thinks-he-caught-it-at-times-square-hotel/

Tell that to this guy.

Edited by Yukari

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

7 hours ago, Herkimer said:

Is TheSandtrap your source of information about the virus?

You can find out if it's "True or False" by researching the subject. You don't need to ask people on a golf forum.

It seems to me that, like some other people here, you are suggesting that governmental responses to this crisis are overblown, hyperbolic and of the knee-jerk variety.

Fact is, the world is grinding to a halt because of it. How much more information do you need to answer your "question"?

32 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

Is TheSandtrap your source of information about the virus?

You can find out if it's "True or False" by researching the subject. You don't need to ask people on a golf forum.

It seems to me that, like some other people here, you are suggesting that governmental responses to this crisis are overblown, hyperbolic and of the knee-jerk variety.

Fact is, the world is grinding to a halt because of it. How much more information do you need to answer your "question"?

I think the part that’s overblown is this thing is going to kill you. That’s kind of my anger with this. The media is almost portraying this as “You get this, you’re going to die.” That’s not anywhere near true. In fact, there’s probably a lot more cases out there right now than the official number, and if you include those and the number of deaths, you’re probably talking about a mortality rate somewhere between 1 and 1.5%.

I think they did the right thing with sports in pulling the spectators out of the arenas. I thought too many sports played copycat to the NBA. I thought they could have done the Players without crowds and finished it with no problem and then re-assess the situation. I thought NCAA could have done a 16-team field with no spectators and finished the tourney quick like was actually proposed by one of the committee members. I think there was some overreaction to certain things, not everything.

Edited by ChrisP

11 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

I thought NCAA could have done a 16-team field with no spectators and finished the tourney quick like was actually proposed by one of the committee members. I think there was some overreaction to certain things, not everything.

Then you wouldn't have been able to see a 12 seed beat a 5 seed.   It happens every year.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

11 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Then you wouldn't have been able to see a 12 seed beat a 5 seed.   It happens every year.

Haha true. But at least you could have crowned a champion.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

I think the part that’s overblown is this thing is going to kill you. That’s kind of my anger with this. The media is almost portraying this as “You get this, you’re going to die.”

What the heck kind of "media" are you watching?

It's not going to kill most people. Probably not even 98% of people. But if you get it, and pass it on to 30 people, and those 30 people pass it on… that's how large numbers of (often elderly or otherwise medically challenged) people die.

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

you’re probably talking about a mortality rate somewhere between 1 and 1.5%.

So, 15x more deadly than the flu, which kills (IIRC) 61,000 people per year.

61,000 * 15 = 915,000.

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

I think they did the right thing with sports in pulling the spectators out of the arenas. I thought too many sports played copycat to the NBA.

And I think the NBA and other sports should have done what they ultimately did a week earlier.

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

I thought they could have done the Players without crowds

C'mon man. It's kinda ridiculous they played the first round. They have to worry about a thousand people or more, plus the 30 people each of those 1000 people come into contact with… etc.

International players were worried about getting back to their families. Etc. Mike Whan said he didn't know if it was the right decision, but if he decided the other way and he was wrong, he could not have lived with himself.

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

I thought NCAA could have done a 16-team field with no spectators and finished the tourney quick like was actually proposed by one of the committee members. I think there was some overreaction to certain things, not everything.

NO!

Cripes.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I hope that in a few weeks or a month we can agree that this was all a bit of over-reaction.  How we'll be able to decide that, I have no idea, but I hope that the spread of the infection is controlled quickly.  I'd hate to see other decisions made, and have people in cots in the hallways of the hospitals waiting for a chance to get help breathing.  And that's what its getting to in Italy, from what I've read.  I don't know what the right choices are, but I'd rather the authorities be a little bit too cautions than err in the other direction.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

My hope and prayer is that death rates are kept as low as possible and the spread is slow enough so that individuals who need medical attention can receive it.

Personally, I don't care that there are folks upset over cancellations of sporting events, conferences, etc.  I'm much more concerned that people who are infected and who develop severe infections can receive medical attention because adequate precautions were implemented.

If the measures that are taken are deemed at a later date to have been an overreaction, then people have been overly inconvenienced and the economy has taken a hit.  Both, while not what any of us would prefer, are acceptable in my opinion: inconvenience is just uncomfortable and the economy will recover.

If measures are not implemented and the death rate rises unnecessarily, that is another matter altogether.

13 hours ago, iacas said:

And I think the NBA and other sports should have done what they ultimately did a week earlier.

A kid in Mass tested positive after getting an autograph from Rudy Gobert just days before after a Celtics game. So, yeah, they should have stopped earlier. Gobert didn’t have symptom at that game.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

16 hours ago, iacas said:

What the heck kind of "media" are you watching?

CNN, NBC, and a lot of the mainstream media. They are the kings and queens of blowing things up.

So, 15x more deadly than the flu, which kills (IIRC) 61,000 people per year.

61,000 * 15 = 915,000.

Depends how many people are actually infected. Read a story yesterday the number could be well in the hundreds of thousands, even millions, right now in the U.S. Just most people aren't getting tested. I probably wouldn't, either, if I just had some small flu symptoms. I would just quarantine myself, which unfortunately, I have to do next week. My two-month vacation is over and I have to return back to the ship next week and basically live on it while on dry dock as a quarantine measure until this blows over. It stinks I may not see my wife for over a year because in two months we're headed out to sea anyways. So no, I'm not happy with COVID-19 right now and am not in a good mood.

C'mon man. It's kinda ridiculous they played the first round. They have to worry about a thousand people or more, plus the 30 people each of those 1000 people come into contact with… etc.

International players were worried about getting back to their families. Etc. Mike Whan said he didn't know if it was the right decision, but if he decided the other way and he was wrong, he could not have lived with himself.

I just disagree. Sorry. I think they could have played Friday, 36 on Saturday and end it early. I understand the family aspect of it, which is why I'm not arguing against future tourneys being cancelled, but I thought they could have gotten the Players in and done by Saturday night and at least crowned a champion. 

And yes, they could have gotten the NCAA Tourney in as well with an abbreviated schedule. It was proposed and supported by some of the committee, but they never finalized it and just ended up scrapping it. My wife being a Dayton grad and turning me into a Dayton fan and never maybe getting this opportunity to them win a national championship again, yes, I'm kind of sad.

Edited by ChrisP

28 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

I just disagree. Sorry. I think they could have played Friday, 36 on Saturday and end it early. I understand the family aspect of it, which is why I'm not arguing against future tourneys being cancelled, but I thought they could have gotten the Players in and done by Saturday night and at least crowned a champion. 

And yes, they could have gotten the NCAA Tourney in as well with an abbreviated schedule. It was proposed and supported by some of the committee, but they never finalized it and just ended up scrapping it. My wife being a Dayton grad and turning me into a Dayton fan and never maybe getting this opportunity to them win a national championship again, yes, I'm kind of sad.

Why? Just to say they did?

• Like 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

I just disagree. Sorry. I think they could have played Friday, 36 on Saturday and end it early.

Thank goodness that people like yourself aren't in a position to exert any  authority in circumstances like this.

On what possible basis can you "just disagree"?

Your kind of thinking is what causes this disease to spread unabated.

12 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

On what possible basis can you "just disagree"?

I feel bad for the seniors or other players who rely on athletics to push themselves.  These tournaments are huge for them.

However, for the greater good, things had to happen.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Note: This thread is 1473 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!