IGNORED

COVID-19 Strikes the PGA Tour, Events to be Played Without Fans

Alohaed
Note: This thread is 1452 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

16 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

I didn’t find anything wrong playing with no fans. Just seems to me they want to copy all the other sports and just postpone everything.

Damn, I get two months of reprieve before heading back out to sea. Was looking forward to coming home, relaxing, and watching March Madness, the NHL, Players and Masters. Crap.

3 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Losing sports is a big chunk out of most everyone's life.  But even with tour golf (minus galleries) a lot of people are in close proximity to each other.  Players in the locker room, officials in the tent, administration in the clubhouse, concessions, caddies in their area.

Not only that, but think of the amount of international travel the players themselves do. I think we are just trying to limit globe trotting until we get this figured out. 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Not only that, but think of the amount of international travel the players themselves do. I think we are just trying to limit globe trotting until we get this figured out. 

This was my thought as well, I imagine that golfers travel as much and over as large a distance as just about any athlete.  Chances must be pretty high that a number of Tour players (or their staff, caddie, etc) have been in contact with infected people, and putting them all together is a recipe for continuing the spread.   

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
56 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

I didn’t find anything wrong playing with no fans. Just seems to me they want to copy all the other sports and just postpone everything.

It's not about "copying." It's about science, and doing what's smart.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

The problem with no fans is that you still have to have a lot of people on the course. If you think of just the players and caddies, that's close to 300 people at an event. Then you have the golf course staff, rules officials, PGA Tour staff, TV crew, etc. Even a bare-bones PGA Tour event would easily top 1,000 people. When you think of the nationalities of the players, travel, etc., it doesn't make a lot of sense right now to hold these events.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Losing sports is a big chunk out of most everyone's life.  But even with tour golf (minus galleries) a lot of people are in close proximity to each other.  Players in the locker room, officials in the tent, administration in the clubhouse, concessions, caddies in their area.

True. Didn’t think of that aspect. There’s a lot of players out there, though, particularly at the Korn Ferry level, who live paycheck to paycheck. We think of the big guys and how money isn’t an issue, but for some players who depend on their winnings to keep them going, you just hope and pray this doesn’t last long. Same with players in tennis and other individual sports who are trying to make a living with their tournaments.

4 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

True. Didn’t think of that aspect. There’s a lot of players out there, though, particularly at the Korn Ferry level, who live paycheck to paycheck. We think of the big guys and how money isn’t an issue, but for some players who depend on their winnings to keep them going, you just hope and pray this doesn’t last long. Same with players in tennis and other individual sports who are trying to make a living with their tournaments.

Yes, brother. We are all in this together. The state of Ohio is shutting down anything with more than 40 people in it. (Not supermarkets, churches, weddings or funerals) But restaurant workers, janitorial folks, bartenders, movie theaters, museum workers are all going to be out of work for 3 weeks at least. The schools are all closing for 3 weeks as well, so working parents are scrambling. It's going to be a challenge for a lot of people.

Nobody WANTS this. 3-4 weeks ago, I was in the "over-reacting" camp. But having heard experts tell me how fast this thing "can" spread, the idea that you may have no idea who's a carrier, and seeing the footage from Northern Italy. My family and I are going to participate to the best of our ability and try to get through it. 

My sincere hope is the EVERYONE does their absolute best. I would like to only go through this ONCE. My fear is a bunch of the population will ignore the advice of our medical community and 2 months (or pick a time frame) from now we will have to do it all again. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Yes, brother. We are all in this together. The state of Ohio is shutting down anything with more than 40 people in it. (Not supermarkets, churches, weddings or funerals) But restaurant workers, janitorial folks, bartenders, movie theaters, museum workers are all going to be out of work for 3 weeks at least. The schools are all closing for 3 weeks as well, so working parents are scrambling. It's going to be a challenge for a lot of people.

Nobody WANTS this. 3-4 weeks ago, I was in the "over-reacting" camp. But having heard experts tell me how fast this thing "can" spread, the idea that you may have no idea who's a carrier, and seeing the footage from Northern Italy. My family and I are going to participate to the best of our ability and try to get through it. 

My sincere hope is the EVERYONE does their absolute best. I would like to only go through this ONCE. My fear is a bunch of the population will ignore the advice of our medical community and 2 months (or pick a time frame) from now we will have to do it all again. 

I feel so bad for workers losing jobs over this. It’s gotta be hell. One of my best friends was doing so great in his business and in two weeks time it’s just collapsed and may have to shut down. Unfortunately, we had record unemployment and I think you’re going to see it skyrocket in a month. Tough times are ahead.

I hate getting political, but like or hate the President, the country was doing pretty well. A majority of people were happy with their lives. It’s amazing how things can change so fast. It really is going to be a challenge but I think if this moves through quickly, we can recover fast. The longer it lingers, the worse.

Edited by ChrisP

19 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

I hate getting political, but like or hate the President, the country was doing pretty well. A majority of people were happy with their lives. It’s amazing how things can change so fast. It really is going to be a challenge but I think if this moves through quickly, we can recover fast. The longer it lingers, the worse.

I don't think that you are being political. I think you are expressing a very real fear. Screw politics on this. We are all going to have to help each other out. Even if that help means avoiding one another. 

19 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

At a later date, maybe we'll know enough to try to allocate the responsibility.  We'll have to have those discussions on another platform, though, at this website we avoid political discussions.  But yes, if the spread of the disease can be slowed or stopped quickly, we'll be able to start getting back to normal quickly.  I hope everyone takes all the appropriate precautions (stockpiling 6 months worth of TP isn't appropriate), and remains as healthy as possible.

In order to do MY part, I'll be washing my balls for 20 seconds or more with soap (golf balls, that is).

• Like 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

2 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I'll be washing my balls for 20 seconds or more with soap (golf balls, that is).

Ba- dum - ching!

52 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Where did you see the number 40 and that restaurants were closed? I saw 100 as the number, but exemption for most businesses. On the Ohio government web page, this is the most recent update I see. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

2 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Where did you see the number 40 and that restaurants were closed? I saw 100 as the number, but exemption for most businesses. On the Ohio government web page, this is the most recent update I see. 

Well, I hope i'm not spreading mis-information. But that was in DeWine's 2PM press conference yesterday.

He didn't actually say restaurants specifically. But more than 40 people he did the 40 people number and mentioned that funerals, weddings, and churches were exempt.

4 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Well, I hope i'm not spreading mis-information. But that was in DeWine's 2PM press conference yesterday.

He didn't actually say restaurants specifically. But more than 40 people he did the 40 people number and mentioned that funerals, weddings, and churches were exempt.

Check out the state website. It might be something where he wanted 40 but it got negotiated to 100 or something odd. I did not see the press conference, only going off of web info. The page on ohio.gov that i am seeing says that mass gatherings doesnt include transportation facilities, medical facilities, libraries, shopping malls, or office enviroments, schools (although they are closed), restaurants, factories, and retail stores. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

14 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Check out the state website. It might be something where he wanted 40 but it got negotiated to 100 or something odd. I did not see the press conference, only going off of web info. The page on ohio.gov that i am seeing says that mass gatherings doesnt include transportation facilities, medical facilities, libraries, shopping malls, or office enviroments, schools (although they are closed), restaurants, factories, and retail stores. 

Thanks, I'll check it out

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I would like to only go through this ONCE. My fear is a bunch of the population will ignore the advice of our medical community and 2 months (or pick a time frame) from now we will have to do it all again. 

I will be searching out those ignoramuses with a 45 degree wedge in my hand. 

Just now, Double Mocha Man said:

I will be searching out those ignoramuses with a 45 degree wedge in my hand. 

Hey, that may finally give me a use for that damned 65 degree wedge I bought off some stupid tv infomercial a couple years back. 

5 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I heard the toilet paper industry was in cahoots too! 😜

Yep, flying off the shelves. I know a guy that runs a janitorial supply company and Kennedy Space Center came in and cleaned him out and told him as soon as he gets a new shipment call and they will get that too. They took everything. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

Note: This thread is 1452 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!