IGNORED

COVID-19 Strikes the PGA Tour, Events to be Played Without Fans

Alohaed
Note: This thread is 1480 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Yep.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here's the schedule:

Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 6.28.42 PM.png

tourflag-847-benjared.jpg

PGA TOUR statement regarding additional tournament cancellations:

To complete the above:

Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 6.33.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 6.33.14 PM.png

augusta-national-masters-2017-play-suspe

A listing of all the significant professional and amateur golf tournaments impacted by the coronavirus

Ryder Cup:

TELEMMGLPICT000219517178-xlarge_trans_Nv

The Ryder Cup, often referred to as sport’s third-biggest event, is expected to be postponed until next year, with the golf authorities rapidly reaching...

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Just now, Double Mocha Man said:

Ugh, the poor kids who were so excited to be in the Drive, Chip and Putt tournament at Augusta National during Masters week...

And the ladies for the Am Champ....yeah...tough break.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Of all years to have the majors in San Francisco and just outside of New York City. It's no surprise the PGA was postponed, and I suspect the U.S. Open is going to be a no-go as well unless New York City undergoes a fast and speedy recovery.

And then there's the Open. The UK is just starting to see the worst of it hit them. Within the last day they've had 128 deaths. 

All the majors will likely be a no-go through July. The only scenario they could put in place is the possibility in September and October of doing the four majors and FedEx Cup if things dramatically improve. Not sure they would do that, but nothing's off the table, I guess. I would honestly just rather them call it a year and hope we're ready to go again next year. The way I see it, the NHL and NBA are likely finished. MLB will play a shortened season and NFL is still a distance away. And that's probably best case scenario for MLB.

Edited by ChrisP

On 3/17/2020 at 1:09 PM, DeadMan said:

Wow.

EDIT: Didn't @mvmac quality for the four-ball? That really sucks.

Yeah pretty bummed about it. Here's an email from today, obviously a response to guys that are upset about not postponing or having us exempt into next year.

IMG_0838.jpg

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

On 3/14/2020 at 11:17 AM, Double Mocha Man said:

That's a man-made choice, not God's law.  I don't HAVE to have my coffee first thing in the morning.  I could have it later.  They could play the Masters in the summer...

No they can't! Why? Because the course burns out! It gets HOT in mid-summer in Georgia. There's a reason they have closed it for that period of time, even before the Masters Championship was held! Now, they have to repair the damage done by all the patrons who attend the tourney. That is substantial. Also there's the damage done by severe weather!

I remember reading an article in a magazine which featured a picture of the 12th green, which was gone due to flooding along Rae's Creek! It was totally gone! Augusta National rebuilt it to its original condition. Can any of you tell the difference?

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Okay, so they are going to play the Masters in the Fall.

That assumes that we are out of this mess by then. I think that we will be but we don't really know.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

4 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Okay, so they are going to play the Masters in the Fall.

Been watching the news? There might not be another ball hit on the PGATour and there may well be no majors this year. No-one knows. We can hope for the best, but nobody has a clue. That should be pretty obvious by now.

Edited by leftybutnotPM

• Administrator
1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

It may be awhile before we see live golf.   The 2020 Olympics have been postponed.  😧

The Olympics are a huge machine with a ton of moving parts. Far, far more than a golf tournament.

I think there's a good chance PGA Tour golf is played again in 2020.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

ANA Inspiration was rescheduled:

The LPGA Tour also announced that its first major of the season, the ANA Inspiration, has been rescheduled for September 10-13 at Mission Hills Country Club in Rancho Mirage, Calif. The Cambia Portland Classic in Portland, Ore., which had previously been scheduled for those dates, will now take place September 17-20.

ana_stock_1141112512_2000x1125.jpg

Today, the LPGA Tour is announcing updates to our schedule as we continue to navigate the global Coronavirus pandemic. After previously announcing the...

I don't think the season is a wash out yet. Who knows, but what I am curious about is how, or if, they will adjust the exemptions for next season. Example, a player who is dependent on staying above the cut off on the money list for next year was relying on the early season events because of scheduling or whatever and playing in the events later in the season presented a challenge for him. Probably would only affect one guy, but I think they would make some sort of adjustments.  

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

2 hours ago, snapfade said:

I don't think the season is a wash out yet. Who knows, but what I am curious about is how, or if, they will adjust the exemptions for next season. Example, a player who is dependent on staying above the cut off on the money list for next year was relying on the early season events because of scheduling or whatever and playing in the events later in the season presented a challenge for him. Probably would only affect one guy, but I think they would make some sort of adjustments.  

I think regular tournaments are likely done (ie RBC Canadian, Travelers) but the majors and Fed Ex Cup are still in play. I could see a scenario, as CBS Sports wrote up the other day, where you play all the big tournaments and the playoffs between the end of July and October.

The Open will kick off the major season instead of the other way around, and then you go to San Fran in mid-August, NYC Labor Day and Augusta early October with the WGC St Jude in between there somewhere. Then you close out with the playoffs the rest of the month. It’s going to allow creativity and something different and unique, but it can work. You can also hold smaller tournaments simultaneously for players who don’t qualify for the majors so they can earn paychecks just like they do the WGCs.

Edited by ChrisP
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of confusion on the social feeds on what exactly is happening with the British Open, nothing official yet. Not unexpected though, a postponement or outright cancellation.

GettyImages-470431058.jpg

The Open would be the first men's major to be canceled outright.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Postponement vs Cancellation is a big deal. Cancel means no make-up. If this is the case, then the dominos may begin to fall for no golf season 😒.

Im still holding out hope of a fall major season. But it’s not looking good as of now if these projections of millions of cases are true.

Edited by ChrisP

Note: This thread is 1480 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!