IGNORED

Daily Rules Question II

Asheville
Note: This thread is 1488 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

11 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:
  Reveal hidden contents

1. A. It hit a loose impediment.

2. B. Live insect is an outside influence. Must replay the stroke.

The terminology in the heading of R11.1, and the terminology in 11.1b's Exception 2 are critically different. 'Outside Influence' does not have relevance to Exception 2, the Exception applies only to the explicitly named items.

Which of the following is not a breach of Rule 10.2a (Advice)?
    A.    A player makes a statement regarding club selection that was intended to be overheard by another player who had a similar stroke.
    B.    During play of the 6th hole, a player asks another player what club he or she used on the 4th hole that is a par 3 of similar length.
    C.    A player comments to another player, "If I were you, I would decide to take unplayable ball relief".

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

16 minutes ago, Asheville said:

A.    A player makes a statement regarding club selection that was intended to be overheard by another player who had a similar stroke.
    B.    During play of the 6th hole, a player asks another player what club he or she used on the 4th hole that is a par 3 of similar length.
    C.    A player comments to another player, "If I were you, I would decide to take unplayable ball relief".

Spoiler

I'm going with C.  It's not asking about club selection..

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

59 minutes ago, Asheville said:

B.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator

Which of the following statements is true?
    A.    Ant hills and the removed dirt from animal holes are both loose impediments.
    B.    Ant hills and the removed dirt from animal holes are both abnormal course conditions.
    C.    Ant hills are loose impediments and the removed dirt from animal holes is an abnormal course condition.

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

1 hour ago, Asheville said:

A.    Ant hills and the removed dirt from animal holes are both loose impediments.
    B.    Ant hills and the removed dirt from animal holes are both abnormal course conditions.
    C.    Ant hills are loose impediments and the removed dirt from animal holes is an abnormal course condition.

Spoiler

C, from the definitions of Loose impediments, abnormal course condition, and animal hole.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

2 hours ago, Asheville said:

Spoiler

C

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Again thanks for the refresher on all the Rules details.

Hide contents

I was going to say "C" but cheated and looked at @DaveP043's answer.  Shame on me.

You'll note that DaveP doesn't guess . . . he looks 'em up, beginning where? Beginning with Definitions!

New one tomorrow. ☺

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

We need more participation!   This is a great thing that @Asheville is doing for the forum.  I for one greatly appreciate the time and effort.   thanks!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

We need more participation!   This is a great thing that @Asheville is doing for the forum.  I for one greatly appreciate the time and effort.   thanks!

Thanks, Denny. The reality is that Rules are a niche interest. We know they're vital for players who wish to compete at higher levels, but for most who just want to knock it around with their friends, the Rules aren't very important.

Spoiler

Charlie

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

3 hours ago, dennyjones said:

I'm guessing that participation likely goes beyond those who post. Is that something @iacas has data on?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fredf said:

I'm guessing that participation likely goes beyond those who post. Is that something @iacas has data on?

99B1FA12-9D11-4D83-8327-AD7737462F0B.jpeg.b761337e7f6cee75a9eb789b8801d289.jpeg

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

19 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

99B1FA12-9D11-4D83-8327-AD7737462F0B.jpeg.b761337e7f6cee75a9eb789b8801d289.jpeg

I'm not aware how much that data guides on how many people view without posting at all. In my case, I've posted 7 times (this is #8) since the thread began Saturday, but I've probably accessed the thread many times that number. The big number above doesn't tell me now many people. But my underlying point to Denny is posts will understate the number of folk engaging with the material.

In stroke play, a player is virtually certain that their tee shot has come to rest in a yellow penalty area. The player properly drops another ball back-on-the-line under the penalty area relief Rule 17. Before playing the dropped ball and within 3 minutes the player finds the original ball outside the penalty area.

Which is correct?

A.    The original ball is out of play; the player must proceed with the dropped ball with 1 penalty stroke.
    B.    The player must abandon the dropped ball and continue play with the original ball.
    C.    The player may play the original ball or the dropped ball with 1 penalty stroke.

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

1 hour ago, Asheville said:

In stroke play, a player is virtually certain that their tee shot has come to rest in a yellow penalty area. The player properly drops another ball back-on-the-line under the penalty area relief Rule 17. Before playing the dropped ball and within 3 minutes the player finds the original ball outside the penalty area.

Which is correct?

A.    The original ball is out of play; the player must proceed with the dropped ball with 1 penalty stroke.
    B.    The player must abandon the dropped ball and continue play with the original ball.
    C.    The player may play the original ball or the dropped ball with 1 penalty stroke.

Spoiler

17.1c says B is right, referencing 6.3b(2).  Essentially, you only get to have one ball in play at any time.  Once you drop a ball to take relief, intending to play that substituted ball, it becomes the ball in play.  This is the same reasoning behind the rule that you cannot play your provisional if you find the original ball in the woods.  You don't get the option to select which ball to play.

13 hours ago, Asheville said:

You'll note that DaveP doesn't guess . . . he looks 'em up, beginning where? Beginning with Definitions!

Many times I don't need to look these up, but I always try to reference a specific rule (or definition).  I've had lots of people tell me the wrong thing about rules, so I don't often take other people's answers at face value, and nobody should take MY answers at face value.  Trust but verify.  Read the rules for yourself if you really want to learn about the rules, and learn about using the rulebook.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

2 hours ago, Asheville said:

Which is correct?

Rule 17.1c reveals all. (Edit, I see Dave identified 17.1c too, but then fell victim to gremlins.)

Edited by fredf
  • Like 1

Note: This thread is 1488 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!