Sign in to follow this  
Hoganman1

Re-shafting Irons Question

5 posts / 574 viewsLast Reply

I have a set of TM 2017 M2 irons (4-AW) with regular steel shafts. Age and arthritis are beginning to take their toll on my body. My pro suggested I go to graphite shafts. I've looked for a set like mine with graphite and found a couple. However, I'm wondering if it might not be cheaper to re-shaft my set. I guess I could trade my set and put the proceeds towards the purchase of the new set. Anyway, I'm just looking for advice on what to consider. Most of the posters here usually have good insights. Thanks for letting me know your thoughts.

Edited by Hoganman1

I think that's a loaded question.

Graphite shafts for irons start around $15/ea. and go up quickly from there. So assuming you're going to shaft them yourself and you get something in the $25/ea. range, then you're looking at $225 +shipping (9 clubs x $25) plus a few dollars for the epoxy. And don't forget you'd have to move the grips from the old shafts to the new ones. Unless you're getting new grips too, then you can add about $50-100 onto the total depending on what grips you get. 

I checked on 2nd Swing and they're selling a 6 club set of M2's around $320.

So unless you're really attached to your current setup, I'd sell them and look for a used set of graphite irons.

Just my $.02

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Even if you do the work yourself; by the time you factor in the cost of the new shafts, and possibly grips, the tariff could be a couple hundred bucks...and that is predicated on buying the cheapest shafts available.  If you are not looking to spend any more than that; buying another set is probably going to be the least expensive option.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good points from both of you. I don't do my own work so I'm probably looking at even higher costs. Dick's will buy my set for $180 and they have a graphite set like mine online for $700 so that seems like the way to go. Plus I know I'm getting shafts designed for this particular set of irons. Thanks for your input.

Edited by Hoganman1

4 hours ago, Grass Destruction said:

I checked on 2nd Swing and they're selling a 6 club set of M2's around $320.

So unless you're really attached to your current setup, I'd sell them and look for a used set of graphite irons.

This^^^^