mcanadiens

What is Open in Ohio?

82 posts / 1803 viewsLast Reply

2 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

I'll take your word for that. But, when you treat a place like the red-headed stepchild what do you expect.

Community had 47% of revenue, Madden 14% and Kittyhawk 39%. Per course Kittyhawk was just behind Madden. I am sure that 80%+ of KHs revenue was non Falcon play though. If you take out Falcon, Kittyhawk probably performs better than Madden. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

56 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

How many privately owned golf courses would stay in business with that much of a deficit?

Municipal courses are a service to the community, too. They don't have to be profitable. Most of the other parks - basketball and tennis courts, baseball fields, general parks, etc. - don't turn a profit, either. That's part of what your taxes pay for - recreational opportunities.

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

Municipal courses are a service to the community, too. They don't have to be profitable. Most of the other parks - basketball and tennis courts, baseball fields, general parks, etc. - don't turn a profit, either. That's part of what your taxes pay for - recreational opportunities.

We should hire you to go talk to our infamous Nan Whaley.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

I understand that, but I wonder why they have to be taxpayer supported to remain solvent when other courses can turn a modest profit. The land is already owned by the city. Kittyhawk is actually on the city's water aquifer. The lakes are filtration system for our drinking water, so you can taste Pro-V1 in every drink. Madden is part of a wastewater treatment plant. It can get a bit gamey on hot summer days. Community is land that the city has owned for a long time. The downside is they have to pay union rates for mowing, etc. when private courses do not.

5 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

We should hire you to go talk to our infamous Nan Whaley.

You couldn't pay me enough to do that, but you should elect me as mayor. Dayton is a great city that has been under poor leadership since the days of Mike Turner.

One other thing just before I call it a night.

I'm fine.

The people I'm worried about are my people who work at Kittyhawk. Julian, our assistant pro. The ladies that run the Fairway Inn. That's my proverbial 19th hole. The only one I ever ace. I really hope those people are doing ok. I really want to see them as soon as possible.

For all its faults, I love going to this place and these people are a large part of the reason why.

2 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

One other thing just before I call it a night.

I'm fine.

The people I'm worried about are my people who work at Kittyhawk. Julian, our assistant pro. The ladies that run the Fairway Inn. That's my proverbial 19th hole. The only one I ever ace. I really hope those people are doing ok. I really want to see them as soon as possible.

For all its faults, I love going to this place and these people are a large part of the reason why.

Christine is a friend of mine. I was looking forward to having lunch at the Fairway Inn and giving her a hard time as @missitnoonan and I usually do. Hopefully soon. 

12 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

How did you play today @mcanadiens? What did you think about Windy Knoll?

Frigging awful, but that wasn't really a surprise. Never can operate a wedge properly to start a season.

Really Windy Knoll is a very generous sort of course. Lots of undulations but very few trees and the water is in places I can avoid. One lost ball and that was on the first tee shot. Mid-season, I'd be disappointed not the break 90 out there.

Aside from being soggy, the course was in good condition for the most part. They did punch their greens not long ago and there was a ton of sand on them. Didn't make for very good putting yesterday, but it ought to be pretty nice in a few weeks.

Edited by mcanadiens

Sugar Isle in New Carlisle is set to open tomorrow. 

They are doing walking only for $1 per hole. They got the first hour of tee times set aside for Senior citizens.

It's also worth noting that they are offering all their members who wish to stay at home an extension on their memberships.

3 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Sugar Isle in New Carlisle is set to open tomorrow.

Yesterday would have been a good day to open. It was gorgeous outside!

1 hour ago, CarlSpackler said:

Yesterday would have been a good day to open. It was gorgeous outside!

No crap.

Booked Sunday's round on Thursday and it was supposed to be just fine. Nice weather Saturday. Gorgeous Monday and total poop on Sunday.

Ah well. My buddy and I got out and hacked. He's been out of work and I covered it for him. Seemed to really enjoy it so it was good despite the duck weather.

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

Booked Sunday's round on Thursday and it was supposed to be just fine. Nice weather Saturday. Gorgeous Monday and total poop on Sunday.

Welcome to Ohio...

Today looks like the only decent golf day in the 10 day forecast. They're talking snow showers next week at this time. Between that and the thunderstorms that kept me up half the night, I am done with Ohio weather.

1 hour ago, CarlSpackler said:

Today looks like the only decent golf day in the 10 day forecast. 

I'm seeing a high of 54 and partly cloudy on Saturday for Columbus, seems like decent enough weather for me. Plus I already have a tee time for Saturday morning so there might be a touch of bias there.

Even Sunday is a high of 63 with just PM showers, probably could get a morning round in then too.

12 minutes ago, klineka said:

I'm seeing a high of 54 and partly cloudy on Saturday for Columbus, seems like decent enough weather for me. Plus I already have a tee time for Saturday morning so there might be a touch of bias there.

Even Sunday is a high of 63 with just PM showers, probably could get a morning round in then too.

Saturday is too cold for me. Sunday morning does look good, but it's Eater and my wife has the day planned. Everything after that look like 💩

I'll just take whatever I get. ... But I'm not buying that snow stuff @CarlSpackler was talking about. 

Right now, a whole lot of range and a whole lot of time in the short game area is what I need. Since that isn't happening, I'm hoping for a nice quite day at Miami Shores maybe late Saturday or Sunday. Who knows, maybe both. Stuff is really starting slow down with deadlines pushed back.

Hitting a couple of balls from particular places is the best I can hope for and my sorry wedge game needs to get sorted.

9 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

I'll just take whatever I get. ... But I'm not buying that snow stuff @CarlSpackler was talking about.

I just repeat what I see in the forecast. Unlikely that anything will accumulate, but I know it will be WAY too cold for me.

13 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I just repeat what I see in the forecast. Unlikely that anything will accumulate, but I know it will be WAY too cold for me.

Those weather guessers of yours sure nailed Sunday's forecast didn't they?

It'll probably be 90 degrees and sunny.

Besides, can't you just go get yourself some essential long johns at Wal-mart or something. I hear you might have to stand in a long, spaced-out line for awhile, but think about how toasty warm you'll be when you slip those on.

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...