IGNORED

Is Golf Available Where You Live? (COVID-19 Edition)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

COVID-19 and Golf  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Are golf courses near you open for play? (Please change your vote as the situation changes.)

• Almost all are open.
    • Some golf courses are still open for play.
    • No golf courses near me are open for play due to COVID-19.
  2. 2. What modifications have golf courses that are open for play made? Select all that apply.

• Limited restaurant/pro shop/clubhouse access.
    • No indoor access at all.
    • Removed ball washers and/or rakes from the course.
    • Tee times spaced further apart.
    • Carts limited to single riders.
    • No carts at all - walking only.
    • Raised cups or foam or PVC inserts to minimize contact with the flagstick/hole.
    • Plentiful hand sanitizer solutions.
    • Only members can play - course is closed to guests.
    • Contact reduced or eliminated - payments handled solely online or by phone.
    • Modifications to group size - twosomes only, threesomes only, family members only, etc.
    • Course is closed.

24 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Do you need a reason for a margarita?

No, but if @Double Mocha Man is buying. 😎

Side note - There is a Mexican restaurant in town that serves AWESOME margaritas. They had to start limiting 2 per customer.

Bad Juan | Jennette Marie Powell

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
00VIRUS-LAWSUITS-roth2-videoSixteenByNin

Orders to stay home and to shutter businesses because of the coronavirus are being challenged nationwide on the grounds they deny Americans their constitutional rights.

Blueberry Hill is a semi-local course. Never thought I'd see it in the New York Times!

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 minutes ago, iacas said:
00VIRUS-LAWSUITS-roth2-videoSixteenByNin

Orders to stay home and to shutter businesses because of the coronavirus are being challenged nationwide on the grounds they deny Americans their constitutional rights.

Blueberry Hill is a semi-local course. Never thought I'd see it in the New York Times!

Law suits might swell, but if the court house is closed they wont get relief till its over anyway. 

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

Law suits might swell, but if the court house is closed they wont get relief till its over anyway. 

You can get an injunction over the phone, and in some cases, a quick ruling too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

From our GM,

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 7.18.33 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-03 at 7.18.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-03 at 7.19.04 PM.png

And my parents sent me this

orAeBcKWMHLwigu-1600x900-noPad.jpg?15855

Allow Golf in California with appropriate procedures and safe -guards.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

17 hours ago, boogielicious said:

And I just read this.

Screen-Shot-2020-04-03-at-11.08.34-AM-85

The men parked at a McDonald's before a car with local plates dropped them at the course, said police.

“McSnitches”

• Thumbs Up 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Our town implemented a stay at home order yesterday morning, and the governor did one statewide later in the day. (It’s kind of what I see people doing here anyway, but I suppose there are some who didn’t. Not sure how much it will help St Louis or Kansas City at this point.)

The updated info for our muni:

• Course is open. Clubhouse is closed to the public.  
  • Credit card and online payments only.
  • Golf carts are available and sanitized after each use. One person per cart.
  • All leagues and tournaments have been cancelled at this time.

Not mentioned there, but the bunker rakes and ball washers have been removed.  Each flagstick has a sign saying don’t touch, and the holes have styrofoam swim noodle inserts.

If it hadn’t been 34* with a thunderstorm, I would have played yesterday afternoon.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

On 4/2/2020 at 7:30 PM, snapfade said:

Update to my earlier post. We're staying open!!

IMG_20200402_174101508.jpg

Same here, just announced yesterday.  Our Florida Courses have been classified as essential.  Our Northern course just got reclassified as essential.  Only open Fri-Sun 1-6 for now.  1 per cart. No pairings with strangers.  No clubhouse.  Online payments only.  No rakes.  No touching flagsticks.  Disinfect carts before and after.

They closed Fort Hays, Kansas for about 2 days. After being the only course to close, Fort Hays decided to make some new rules and open back up. (Mainly because the other courses didn't close.) Good for them. 

In Kansas, we have been practicing Social Distances since January 29, 1861. 🙂 

La Crosse, Kansas, where I live is always open. (9 hole course with sand greens) 

BTW, I shot an 86 from the whites last week and my handicap went to 19. (Not bad for a 73 year old senior citizen) At the beginning of 2019, my handicap was 28. 

I will be glad when all this is over and I can work on lowering my handicap even further. 

Retired Old Man 

Callaway Rogue Driver, 12.5 loft, regular shaft, draw

Pure Spin 60* Loft Wedge, Stiff Shaft

Pure Spin "A" Wedge, Regular Flex

Irons are G-15 Pings, 5 iron - Pitching Wedge

Callaway Rogue 5 Wood, regular flex                        Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, regular flex

Callaway Cobra Hybrid #3 & #5

Mallet Style Putter 

19 minutes ago, Cartboy said:

Same here, just announced yesterday.  Our Florida Courses have been classified as essential.  Our Northern course just got reclassified as essential.  Only open Fri-Sun 1-6 for now.  1 per cart. No pairings with strangers.  No clubhouse.  Online payments only.  No rakes.  No touching flagsticks.  Disinfect carts before and after.

Cocoa Beach is going to make money somehow, and since they banned all tourists, and closed hotels and vacation rentals and have adopted the attitude of "If you're not from here, don't come here", then they have to keep some money coming in somehow. The golf course makes good money with just the local regulars the staff could care less and, off the record, would prefer tourists go somewhere else. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

44 minutes ago, snapfade said:

Cocoa Beach is going to make money somehow, and since they banned all tourists, and closed hotels and vacation rentals and have adopted the attitude of "If you're not from here, don't come here", then they have to keep some money coming in somehow. The golf course makes good money with just the local regulars the staff could care less and, off the record, would prefer tourists go somewhere else. 

I supervised/retrained the outside staff at one of our local SW FL courses a few years ago . . . 27 holes, 400 members, 300-400 rounds a day . . . so I know that feeling well during Snowbird Season.  I golfed there a couple weeks ago, for the amazing fee of $30, and two couples of "Outside Golfers" were verbally abusing a staff member after their round, saying that sure wasn't worth thirty bucks.

BS

I also supervise the outside staff at our Northern course, and am a member at another mostly-private one . . . and that attitude toward "Outside golfers" is widespread.

Frankly, a few them deserve that sentiment, and taint the rest.  Like lawyers and timeshare salesmen, 99% of them make the other 1% look bad.

Mask

1 hour ago, RetiredOldMan said:

They closed Fort Hays, Kansas for about 2 days. After being the only course to close, Fort Hays decided to make some new rules and open back up. (Mainly because the other courses didn't close.) Good for them. 

In Kansas, we have been practicing Social Distances since January 29, 1861. 🙂 

La Crosse, Kansas, where I live is always open. (9 hole course with sand greens) 

BTW, I shot an 86 from the whites last week and my handicap went to 19. (Not bad for a 73 year old senior citizen) At the beginning of 2019, my handicap was 28. 

I will be glad when all this is over and I can work on lowering my handicap even further. 

Retired Old Man 

We're about the same, age and golfwise.  I've been playing since before high school, and played in high school.  By a fluke, I was Conference Medalist my Senior year, but my game has always been very unorthodox, a left-handed baseball batter playing golf right-handed.

I did a minor change at age 70, strengthened my grip mostly, and went from a 20 to a 14.

Also, I play exponentially better from shorter tees, like Slope doesn't fully account for it.

I also have a few Kansas connections . . . friends in Topeka and Wichita, and so forth.  Lots of Jayhawk and Wildcats friends.

Edited by Cartboy

Our courses in Wisconsin have been closed statewide by order of our Governor. An online petition to open them, with several reasonable restrictions, has so far gathered over 60,000 signatures. 

I posted the information about the petition on our Neighborhood/Local website. I was surprised by the number of vicious, negative reactions and comments about it. The sad thing is that this isn't a bunch of strangers, these are my neighbors. it reminded me of an episode of The Twilight Zone, where neighbors turn against neighbors.

Many people are consumed with fear, anger and paranoia about the virus. I replied in a respectful manner to a couple posts, hoping to have a honest discussion about the restrictions. The replies were neither respectful or honest. I gave up on the idea that dialogue was possible.

The media coverage of this has preyed on people's fears, and whipped them into a near panic. Sad.

22 minutes ago, Joe Jetson said:

Our courses in Wisconsin have been closed statewide by order of our Governor. An online petition to open them, with several reasonable restrictions, has so far gathered over 60,000 signatures. 

I posted the information about the petition on our Neighborhood/Local website. I was surprised by the number of vicious, negative reactions and comments about it. The sad thing is that this isn't a bunch of strangers, these are my neighbors. it reminded me of an episode of The Twilight Zone, where neighbors turn against neighbors.

Many people are consumed with fear, anger and paranoia about the virus. I replied in a respectful manner to a couple posts, hoping to have a honest discussion about the restrictions. The replies were neither respectful or honest. I gave up on the idea that dialogue was possible.

The media coverage of this has preyed on people's fears, and whipped them into a near panic. Sad.

I think it is a case of if I can't have fun, you can't have fun.

• Upvote 1

The Online booking sites still list a bunch of courses as having tee times.  I have called a few of the courses.  Nothing.

It would be swell if these guys were a resource and not a mirage.

EDIT: In fact, I answered the poll that nothing is open near me.  But the truth is that I don’t know for certain.

Edited by Cantankerish

36 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

The Online booking sites still list a bunch of courses as having tee times.  I have called a few of the courses.  Nothing.

It would be swell if these guys were a resource and not a mirage.

EDIT: In fact, I answered the poll that nothing is open near me.  But the truth is that I don’t know for certain.

GolfNow has changed their name to GolfLater.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

After over 3 weeks I will be getting out to play 18 tomorrow. Always walk so no issue there. A bit nervous to be honest. Not sure what to think right now. Will keep my distance from the other 3. 

maybe a dumb question but would it be better to sling the bag on my back or use my pushcart? 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

11 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

After over 3 weeks I will be getting out to play 18 tomorrow. Always walk so no issue there. A bit nervous to be honest. Not sure what to think right now. Will keep my distance from the other 3. 

maybe a dumb question but would it be better to sling the bag on my back or use my pushcart? 

Pushcart.  But just keep it 6 feet from other pushcarts.

15 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

GolfNow has changed their name to GolfLater.

😀

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 1123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!