IGNORED

Is Golf Available Where You Live? (COVID-19 Edition)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

COVID-19 and Golf  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Are golf courses near you open for play? (Please change your vote as the situation changes.)

• Almost all are open.
    • Some golf courses are still open for play.
    • No golf courses near me are open for play due to COVID-19.
  2. 2. What modifications have golf courses that are open for play made? Select all that apply.

• Limited restaurant/pro shop/clubhouse access.
    • No indoor access at all.
    • Removed ball washers and/or rakes from the course.
    • Tee times spaced further apart.
    • Carts limited to single riders.
    • No carts at all - walking only.
    • Raised cups or foam or PVC inserts to minimize contact with the flagstick/hole.
    • Plentiful hand sanitizer solutions.
    • Only members can play - course is closed to guests.
    • Contact reduced or eliminated - payments handled solely online or by phone.
    • Modifications to group size - twosomes only, threesomes only, family members only, etc.
    • Course is closed.

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig

The theology and politics of some churches pushes them to keep holding services — in some cases, risking public health and arrest.

and then you have the nut jobs that are going to make this last all summer. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

38 minutes ago, Edsland said:
?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig

The theology and politics of some churches pushes them to keep holding services — in some cases, risking public health and arrest.

and then you have the nut jobs that are going to make this last all summer. 

I love the kid behind the pastor whose hand has turned into a cell phone...

• Thumbs Up 1

Just got an email that my course is re-opening tomorrow with lots of restrictions and 9 hole rounds only. I appreciate the precautions and am booked with some of my regular group to play. The last two weeks has sure been dragging but I will be very cautious for sure.

1 hour ago, SteveH said:

Just got an email that my course is re-opening tomorrow with lots of restrictions and 9 hole rounds only. I appreciate the precautions and am booked with some of my regular group to play. The last two weeks has sure been dragging but I will be very cautious for sure.

Is this a reversal by the Provincial Health Minister for all of B.C.?  I wish they would do that down here in Washington State.  I'm for all restrictions that need to apply, no problem.  I'd even add a few of my own.

All courses open here in Des Moines. The two I’ve played are letting each person have their own cart, have the cups adjusted, spraying carts down after use.

playing 18 this am.

3 Golfers Arrested For Playing Out-Of-State

These are some crazy times we live in, and three Massachusetts golfers went to some pretty extensive measures to play a round of golf last week only to end up in handcuffs.

By order of the governor of Rhode Island, any out-of-state visitors must self-quarantine for 14 days should they enter the state for non-work-related reasons, and golf courses are closed to out-of-state residents. Still three golfers tested their luck and got popped for it.

I guess "Stay at Home" is the only option for many Golfers.

• Like 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

So far I've seen courses with raised cups, regular cups, and swim noodle insert.  The raised cups are best for not having to reach into the hold but to me there's a fear a putt might bounce out.  Regular cups shouldn't be used in this time just to get over people's fears.  Noodle insert seems to be the best option - you don't really have to stick your hand into the cup but you know a holed putt is holed.

BTW - the courses here (or the ones that are open) are staying open under an "outdoor activity" exceptions, not essential business.  As such they are totally closing their clubhouses and doing all business outside.

9 hours ago, SteveH said:

Any explanation for the 9 holes only restriction?  That’s weird...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

Any explanation for the 9 holes only restriction?  That’s weird...

I re-read the letter and it just states 9 holes only and 12 mins intervals between tee times.  Bookings only, no drop ins and 8 ft distancing, along with a bunch of other stipulations.  It goes on to say, each group captain will be advised which 9 they are playing upon arrival, which is to be no more than 20 mins before booked time.  I am assuming it is because we have two separate nines and it gives the staff the opportunity to start alternate times on front and back, especially with the doubling of our normal tee time interval.  Will find out more after I play this morning, at this point 9 is better than nothing and I suppose, depending on how busy it is, there could be a possibility of playing a second nine.  I also read there were a bunch of stipulations from the BC medical officer that they were following. 

• Administrator
screen-shot-2019-03-13-at-2.19.22-pm.png

BOWLING GREEN, Fla. – I’ve had first-tee starters tell me about the opening tee shot, about the history of the course I’m about to play, about any quirks I might anticipate during the upcoming roun…

I hate headlines like this: "Playing golf felt safer than cruising the grocery store."

Stop comparing a necessity to a freaking hobby.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 4/4/2020 at 4:41 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

GolfNow has changed their name to GolfLater.

the office lol GIF

Locally:

Sugar Hill is open for play! Please take a look at our updated precautions moving forward:

- Sanitizing and hand wiping all the carts before and after each use.
- Instructing customers to leave the pin in.
- Removed all water coolers from the golf course.
- Removed all rakes from bunkers.
- Added foam noodles in the cups so there is no need to touch the flag.
- All doors are open to limit touches.
- The restaurant is open but only for to-go orders, so we are encouraging golfers to call ahead.

*Additionally, if you wish to have your own cart, it will be an extra $10 fee.

Edited by bwdial

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

On a side note, how many have actually played a round of golf?

Some courses here are reopening, but it is hard to get a tee time.  Seems like everyone is playing golf during stay at home order.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

3 minutes ago, Yukari said:

Some courses here are reopening, but it is hard to get a tee time.  Seems like everyone is playing golf during stay at home order.

Played 36 holes on Tuesday and Thursday, 18 on Friday, and 27 yesterday.

We’re averaging well under 3:00 for 18 holes these days.

I guess there’s at least a little bit of a silver lining to this particular cloud!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

On 4/4/2020 at 3:41 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

GolfNow has changed their name to GolfLater.

That is funny. Can I use that? My brothers and I live about 100 miles apart and use Golfnow.com regularly to find somewhere between us to play. This joke will bring a little humor to a humorless situation. Thanks.

I vote MAGA- Make America Golf Again!

49 minutes ago, Yukari said:

I've played twice each of the last two weekends.  The weather was finally perfect for golf just this last weekend (and courses no longer totally soggy).  Tee times are sparse but can be had, at least for nine.  I'm sure lots of people are simply forgoing golf right now.  I also think this area is totally over supplied.  Strange thing is, despite all the tee times being gone the courses don't seem over the top busy.  I think the courses are limiting how tee times they allow to be booked.

For those of you that have played, did you wear a face mask?

I am thinking of playing on Thursday - first time in a couple of months - and am considering wearing a face mask while playing.  

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 1145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!