IGNORED

Is Golf Available Where You Live? (COVID-19 Edition)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

COVID-19 and Golf  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Are golf courses near you open for play? (Please change your vote as the situation changes.)

• Almost all are open.
    • Some golf courses are still open for play.
    • No golf courses near me are open for play due to COVID-19.
  2. 2. What modifications have golf courses that are open for play made? Select all that apply.

• Limited restaurant/pro shop/clubhouse access.
    • No indoor access at all.
    • Removed ball washers and/or rakes from the course.
    • Tee times spaced further apart.
    • Carts limited to single riders.
    • No carts at all - walking only.
    • Raised cups or foam or PVC inserts to minimize contact with the flagstick/hole.
    • Plentiful hand sanitizer solutions.
    • Only members can play - course is closed to guests.
    • Contact reduced or eliminated - payments handled solely online or by phone.
    • Modifications to group size - twosomes only, threesomes only, family members only, etc.
    • Course is closed.

1 hour ago, oregongolfguy said:

Well, all I k ow that here in Washington I am not counting on being able to golf, or fly fish which is my other hobby for the very foreseeable future.   Governor seems to be hinting at not opening anything up for quite some time 

Because he is fear monger and moron like the governor here in NY. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

1 hour ago, oregongolfguy said:

Well, all I k ow that here in Washington I am not counting on being able to golf, or fly fish which is my other hobby for the very foreseeable future.   Governor seems to be hinting at not opening anything up for quite some time 

How in the hell can they prohibit fly fishing?!   No outdoor activities at all are allowed?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

How in the hell can they prohibit fly fishing?!   No outdoor activities at all are allowed?

Great question since at this time we seem to be the only state that shut down fishing also.  It’s pretty bleak at the moment here

10 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I am biased, but it is OUR exercise.  I don't own an expensive bicycle, which is legal and accepted.  But my golf gear pushes the "Expenso-meter".

Agree. Fishing gear, bicycles, pistols and rifles are all expensive gear. I see folks fishing and riding (I ride too) and I know outdoor gun ranges are open. So what is different about golf? Seems arbitrary.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

9 hours ago, David in FL said:

<sarcasm> The risk here is huge. If you release the fish after you touch it, the Rona virus might be transferred to the next person who catches this fish. </sarcasm>

- Shane

9 hours ago, oregongolfguy said:

Great question since at this time we seem to be the only state that shut down fishing also.  It’s pretty bleak at the moment here

Unbelievable. I’m a fly fisherman too, and I can’t think of a single thing that provides for more social distancing!  

Hell, most of us are a little antisocial to begin with anyways!  :-D

In David's bag....

• Administrator
Just now, David in FL said:

Unbelievable. I’m a fly fisherman too, and I can’t think of a single thing that provides for more social distancing!  

Fishing in streams you're often very close to other fishermen. The holes and pockets are only so wide.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Fishing in streams you're often very close to other fishermen. The holes and pockets are only so wide.

Not generally flyfishing. By definition it requires a little bit of room. Certainly not within 6 feet!

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

• Administrator

Not generally flyfishing. By definition it requires a little bit of room. 

I fly fish too. The room you require is above and behind you.

I'd stand three feet from my dad, both of us with 10' rods, and often the guy you're with might help you net the fish. Plus just because you're fly fishing doesn't mean everyone else is - again the holes and pockets in a stream are only so big.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

I fly fish too. The room you require is above and behind you.

In small stream fishing there’s seldom room behind you, so you do a lot of roll casts and  side casts which require room lateral as well.  

Regardless though, if other outdoor activities have been deemed allowable with reasonable social distancing requirements put in place, it’s ridiculous that something like that would not be.

In David's bag....

• Administrator

In small stream fishing there’s seldom room behind you, so you do a lot of roll casts and  side casts which require room lateral as well.

I know this. Roll casts require room in front, and side casts… you often don't have that luxury… because someone is standing there fishing the same hole as you are.

PA saw fit to open fishing season two weeks early while golf is still closed. Golf, IMO, has more room for social distancing than stream fishing.

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

So what is different about golf? Seems arbitrary.

Golf is not a good look. It's elitist. Seriously, there are 8 lbs. NOT around my waist because of golf and walking.  It indeed is exercise.

• Administrator

Contrarian take: golf isn't elitist anymore.

So the golf courses around here were supposed to open tomorrow but you aren’t allowed to leave your municipality. Luckily for me there are 2 golf courses in our municipality. But... they postponed the opening of the courses till Monday. 

And on Monday my wife will have to start going back to work (she was working from home for the past 5 weeks) and I have to sit the kids... so no golf again. So another week goes by, lost all motivation chipping, putting and swing speed training 

I play in Hays, Kansas. 

1 person per cart or walk.

6' apart

Clubhouse closed

1 person allowed in rest room at a time

Flag sticks have bumpers on them

Basically play is pretty much normal. 

Most all of the courses in the State are open. 

Now it needs to warm up. 

Retired old man. 

Callaway Rogue Driver, 12.5 loft, regular shaft, draw

Pure Spin 60* Loft Wedge, Stiff Shaft

Pure Spin "A" Wedge, Regular Flex

Irons are G-15 Pings, 5 iron - Pitching Wedge

Callaway Rogue 5 Wood, regular flex                        Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, regular flex

Callaway Cobra Hybrid #3 & #5

Mallet Style Putter 

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Killa said:

So another week goes by, lost all motivation chipping, putting and swing speed training 

There’s this 30-day free practice plan this guy has been putting out…

40 minutes ago, iacas said:

Contrarian take: golf isn't elitist anymore.

That is contrarian indeed. Most people inside of the game probably agree with it, but just about everyone that I have met that doesn't play sees it as elitist (white, expensive, exclusionary, etc.). I've actually been on dates, and when I mention that golf is one of my main hobbies, the mood changes and it's pretty much the end of the date (not physically, but figuratively).

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

38 minutes ago, Killa said:

and I have to sit the kids... so no golf again.

A well-trained kid can be a good caddie.

5 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

That is contrarian indeed. Most people inside of the game probably agree with it, but just about everyone that I have met that doesn't play sees it as elitist (white, expensive, exclusionary, etc.). I've actually been on dates, and when I mention that golf is one of my main hobbies, the mood changes and it's pretty much the end of the date (not physically, but figuratively).

I've stopped telling people I play golf.  Instead, I play lawn darts.

Note: This thread is 1151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!