IGNORED

Is Golf Available Where You Live? (COVID-19 Edition)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

COVID-19 and Golf  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Are golf courses near you open for play? (Please change your vote as the situation changes.)

• Almost all are open.
    • Some golf courses are still open for play.
    • No golf courses near me are open for play due to COVID-19.
  2. 2. What modifications have golf courses that are open for play made? Select all that apply.

• Limited restaurant/pro shop/clubhouse access.
    • No indoor access at all.
    • Removed ball washers and/or rakes from the course.
    • Tee times spaced further apart.
    • Carts limited to single riders.
    • No carts at all - walking only.
    • Raised cups or foam or PVC inserts to minimize contact with the flagstick/hole.
    • Plentiful hand sanitizer solutions.
    • Only members can play - course is closed to guests.
    • Contact reduced or eliminated - payments handled solely online or by phone.
    • Modifications to group size - twosomes only, threesomes only, family members only, etc.
    • Course is closed.

57 minutes ago, iacas said:

Huh?

Huh? Huh?

In that same post, I talked about traditional golf outings, corporate events, and tournaments, and one we have every year where 240 golfers are at the clubhouse at the same time.

That's more than 10.

😷

14 minutes ago, Dufferpauly said:

50883060-6EB9-405B-9223-981D10F0062B.jpeg

F24C9463-51CF-4AE2-AB06-ADC75AADB18D.jpeg

thinning the herd

😷

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Cartboy said:

Huh? Huh?

In that same post, I talked about traditional golf outings, corporate events, and tournaments, and one we have every year where 240 golfers are at the clubhouse at the same time.

That's more than 10.

That’s not necessarily what a “group” means. Which is why I asked.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

With a lot of restrictions:

• 2 players max per group
  • No carts
  • No clubhouses
  • Online payment only
  • No early arriving
  • 15 minute spread per tee time
  • No touching of flagsticks (easy removal devices in cups are installed)

I also haven't seen any driving ranges opening up.  My local course mentioned they replaced the putting green holes with markers so you don't touch anything.

I'm excited to be able to get back out there.  How does this compare to the rest of the country / what you're seeing?

Oh you lucky dog. Maryland is still shut down. Virginia is however open but I haven’t gone over there yet. I hate not taking my son and when I bring it up i get the stink eye from the boss. So I’m stuck until MD opens back up. Not sure why they didn’t follow VA’s lead. Golf is perfect for distancing. 

Still can play foursomes here in central Ohio. Carts are still being used and are being sent out one person per cart unless you reside together. No congregating after your round. Courses have been open the entire time, except for a week where they waffled then ultimately decided to open back up. 

Everyone seems to be doing well to abide by the rules and social distancing at the three different courses I have played this year. Congrats on getting back out there soon!

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

My son in South Carolina has 1 person in a cart, and the place he played today had a burger bar. A lot more relaxed then Illinois. 

3 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

In Washington state we are still closed.  Our Governor plays golf but still no word.  I think he's trying to find a way to say golf courses are now open, without ticking off too many people.

Something to think about come election time...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

8 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I didn't mean to imply the Governor was playing golf while the rest of us are not.  He's done a good job.

I didn’t think he was...

But if he’s shut down golf, and fishing, he’s not too bright.  Glad he’s not our Governor...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

6 hours ago, David in FL said:

I didn’t think he was...

But if he’s shut down golf, and fishing, he’s not too bright.  Glad he’s not our Governor...

No politics please.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I have heard that courses in Santa Bárbara will open soon. Same for San Diego. I’m awaiting what the restrictions will be . Might be harder getting on as a single for awhile

18 minutes ago, chilepepper said:

I have heard that courses in Santa Bárbara will open soon. Same for San Diego. I’m awaiting what the restrictions will be . Might be harder getting on as a single for awhile

Definitely.  My buddies don't play golf on the weekend, so I tried to get on as a single.  You can't show up to the course hoping to get on as walk-on is not allowed anymore.  So you have to call and hope there is a single spot open somewhere.  Pain in the a$$ trying to get through the phone line as everyone seems to be calling in to get a tee time.  Some courses do have online tee sign-up, but a few courses closer to me chose to not to use the online sign-up after the lockdown and went strictly to phone in system to collect the fees at the time of making the reservation.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

12 hours ago, David in FL said:

Glad he’s not our Governor...

😷

That gave me a well-deserved chuckle.

20 hours ago, Cartboy said:

The more I think about it, the more I realize that it no longer can be golf as usual, for however long it takes.

Golf is, in fact, a social event, distancing is next to impossible, and groups of 10 or more (the COVID rule) in a clubhouse, at a practice range, gathered for a shotgun start, eating a meal at a corporate outing or tournament, or just on the putting clock on a normal day, is not unusual.

Many courses, including the northern course where I've worked since before the Grand Opening June 6, 2009, rely on corporate outings and tournament.  We host one tournament with 240 golfers, a shotgun start for 120 at 9 AM and another 120 at 2:00 PM, with both groups going to the range, and eating a buffet.  The carts come in and we flip them as fast as we can unload bags and trash, load new bags, and refill ice and water.  240 golfers in the same area at the same time.

That sort of routine definitely is out for now.

& it makes me rethink a lot of what we do routinely, golfwise and otherwise.

In any event, as I think about the way I/we have done things in operating a golf course the last 14 years, a lot of them are cringe-worthy under the current circumstances, and probably need to be rethought going forward.

A lot of the needed changes are things customers prefer anyway.  One person per cart, smaller groups, less-frequent tee times.

When any play at all is questionable, it makes Pace of Play seem relatively minor.

😷

Edited by Cartboy

Note: This thread is 1145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!