IGNORED

Is Golf Available Where You Live? (COVID-19 Edition)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

COVID-19 and Golf  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Are golf courses near you open for play? (Please change your vote as the situation changes.)

• Almost all are open.
    • Some golf courses are still open for play.
    • No golf courses near me are open for play due to COVID-19.
  2. 2. What modifications have golf courses that are open for play made? Select all that apply.

• Limited restaurant/pro shop/clubhouse access.
    • No indoor access at all.
    • Removed ball washers and/or rakes from the course.
    • Tee times spaced further apart.
    • Carts limited to single riders.
    • No carts at all - walking only.
    • Raised cups or foam or PVC inserts to minimize contact with the flagstick/hole.
    • Plentiful hand sanitizer solutions.
    • Only members can play - course is closed to guests.
    • Contact reduced or eliminated - payments handled solely online or by phone.
    • Modifications to group size - twosomes only, threesomes only, family members only, etc.
    • Course is closed.

I don't know of any local courses around me that are closed. At our club, they first turned the cups upside down, but no one liked that so, they've reversed that and are using the noodle in the cup. We have all been given permission to use our own carts if we choose. The bar is closed, the restaurant is carry out only.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if they closed the course. Since I can walk out of my back door and on to the 12th tee, what would stop me from playing? During the holidays, when the course is formally closed, there is always an exemption for members of the course to play.

There is a group of us that travel every month to different courses to play. Last week it was Eagle Dunes in Sorrento, FL, and there were no safeguard in place, we shared a cart, pro shop and snack bar were open.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

I think it would be best to wait several weeks before considering to open courses.

I disagree. Golf can be a safe activity. As safe or safer than many of the other things people are doing like going for walks, shopping at the grocery store, playing basketball or tennis, etc.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

I disagree. Golf can be a safe activity. As safe or safer than many of the other things people are doing like going for walks, shopping at the grocery store, playing basketball or tennis, etc.

Yeah... golf is literally the safest thing you can do.  If they gave a cart to each individual rider, everyone would be a minimum of six feet apart.  And, you can be several hundred yards away from anyone for the most part.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

26 minutes ago, iacas said:

Shopping at the grocery store is about the most dangerous thing people in CA are allowed to do short of going to a hospital or health clinic or Dr. Office.  But groceries are essential.

Essential vs. nonexential activities probably shouldn't be compared to each other.

Edited by No Mulligans

23 minutes ago, bwdial said:

Yeah... golf is literally the safest thing you can do.  If they gave a cart to each individual rider, everyone would be a minimum of six feet apart.  And, you can be several hundred yards away from anyone for the most part.

I must admit, while restaurants, bars, etc. were closed and everyone else was shut off from a pickup game of basketball, tennis, pool hall... or couldn't watch their favorite sport on TV... I was playing golf and feeling guilty.  Now that our state's courses are closed (as of this morning) I feel less guilty, but I am really missing the game.

11 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

Shopping at the grocery store is about the most dangerous thing people in CA are allowed to do short of going to a hospital or health clinic or Dr. Office.  But groceries are essential.

We should receive "combat pay" for going to the grocery store.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

Flying home tomorrow. Been here in Toronto tending to a family matter since Jan 30....so I haven't played golf since leaving Vanc.

I booked 2 tee times for Thurs and Fri....but my friend and I decided to not play considering we should be staying at home and not doing non-essential activities.....even though we could self distance......it's all about the optics.

As each day passes more and more courses are closing down here in Vanc....I kinda suspect all might be closed by the end of the week.

I sometimes play golf with a lady....she's a nurse in a nursing home....1 of her co-workers has Covid......many of the deaths in BC have come from nursing homes.

So if this lady can go to work each day (they won't test her unless she is showing symptoms)....then I can stay at home and watch endless repeats of the World Poker Series.....nuff said.

53 minutes ago, Rkrider99 said:

There is a group of us that travel every month to different courses to play. Last week it was Eagle Dunes in Sorrento, FL, and there were no safeguard in place, we shared a cart, pro shop and snack bar were open.

I regret not playing that one when I lived there. I drove past it many times, but never played it.

50 minutes ago, iacas said:

I would say that it is less risky than me coming to work every day or my wife going to the grocery store. They say that takeout food is perfectly acceptable even though an infectious person could be touching your food.

- Shane

3 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

While our courses are now shut down some clever courses are using the hiatus to aerate the greens.  Good thinking.

Mid March to mid Apr is our typical punch season.....mid Sept to mid Oct too.

FYI....Bandon closing tomorrow and plan to open Apr 6, if possible.

I gotta get my sorry a** to Bandon.....it's been on my bucket list for years.....will likely go last minute in the winter season.

Bethpage posted this:

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
54 minutes ago, bwdial said:

Yeah... golf is literally the safest thing you can do.

It's not the "safest" thing you can do, but it's high on the list, IMO.

The safest thing you can do is literally never leave your house. That's not a sound strategy mentally, though.

1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

Bethpage posted this:

They posted a stock image that still had the stock image logo attached to it?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

It's not the "safest" thing you can do, but it's high on the list, IMO.

The safest thing you can do is literally never leave your house. That's not a sound strategy mentally, though.

They posted a stock image that still had the stock image logo attached to it?

Yeah, I noticed that too. I assume there is a lot of confusion going on in the backoffice.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

All Nj courses are supposed to be closed per executive order. I’ve received emails from a few that say as such. Other courses haven’t even updated their websites.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

4 hours ago, iacas said:

I disagree. I think raising the cup minimizes contact more so than a pool noodle or piece of PVC.

I’d prefer pool noodle with no pin. That way you can reach in with 2 fingers and pick up the ball.

Also, I think carts are a disaster for passing on the virus. I say walking only (if I’m king Zak for the day) Every cart cannot be cleaned right. Pro shop workers have a hard enough time getting all the grass off with a hose, let alone truly disinfecting 2x the carts everyday.

All that being said, grocery stores are crazy right now. Way more dangerous than anything else. It is hopeless and I think all this effort won’t do enough anyways. I’m waiting to see what happens in NY state.

FWIW: I’m not underestimating the virus. I understand I can get it, feel ok, then my lungs fill up and I die-same with loved ones. It is scary.

They were open until today. 🙁 They will be closed for at least two weeks.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, billchao said:

All Nj courses are supposed to be closed per executive order. I’ve received emails from a few that say as such. Other courses haven’t even updated their websites.

A lot of the "stay at home" things allow exercise outdoors. What is golf if not that? Just make people walk.

17 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

I’d prefer pool noodle with no pin. That way you can reach in with 2 fingers and pick up the ball.

We weren't talking about preference, but about what is safer. Now, mind you it's probably splitting hairs - both are probably "safe" - but still, the raised cup is almost surely safer.

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

We weren't talking about preference, but about what is safer. Now, mind you it's probably splitting hairs - both are probably "safe" - but still, the raised cup is almost surely safer.

Splitting hairs is prob accurate.

I would honestly play to no hole at this point in the northeast season. I just wanna hit shots and stroll around. (Or strut around depending on how I’m hitting it) 😎

• Administrator

Yeah… I'd play to a ghost hole, or a large circle painted on the green.

Note: This thread is 1114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!