IGNORED

Is Golf Available Where You Live? (COVID-19 Edition)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

COVID-19 and Golf  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Are golf courses near you open for play? (Please change your vote as the situation changes.)

• Almost all are open.
    • Some golf courses are still open for play.
    • No golf courses near me are open for play due to COVID-19.
  2. 2. What modifications have golf courses that are open for play made? Select all that apply.

• Limited restaurant/pro shop/clubhouse access.
    • No indoor access at all.
    • Removed ball washers and/or rakes from the course.
    • Tee times spaced further apart.
    • Carts limited to single riders.
    • No carts at all - walking only.
    • Raised cups or foam or PVC inserts to minimize contact with the flagstick/hole.
    • Plentiful hand sanitizer solutions.
    • Only members can play - course is closed to guests.
    • Contact reduced or eliminated - payments handled solely online or by phone.
    • Modifications to group size - twosomes only, threesomes only, family members only, etc.
    • Course is closed.

7 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

We should all have Governor Kemp of Georgia as our Governor.  Then we could all go back to shaking hands...

I am certainly in favor of opening up.  However I have some suspicion that people will remain cautious and handshakes might not be the thing right away.  Wouldn't be surprised to still see some with masks and gloves in newly opened businesses.

Butch

8 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I support Inslee.  He just did a swing and a miss on the golf course issue.

Closing golf courses is all about optics.....the governments want everyone to stay home and not to participate in non-essential activities.

It's been so easy to physical distance playing golf....I basically stay away from any other golfers at least 10-15 ft.

7 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

😄

My county in WA state hasn't had a Covid-19 death in 5 days!  We're about a quarter million people.  Open up those dang golf courses... we've been good!

No nursing homes?

Didn't know there was that much population in the Bellingham area?

5 hours ago, Cartboy said:

FWIW, for those who don't take the pandemic seriously, I am not opposed to them gathering in large groups, playing golf, going to bars, the beach, concerts, political rallies, or whatever they want, so long as they stay by themselves and don't mingle with those who take it seriously. 

I don't mean to be mean; this just seems like a way for folks to do what they want.

Does that make sense? 

That is Sweden’s plan, right?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

That is Sweden’s plan, right?

Pretty much.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

16 hours ago, Cartboy said:

FWIW, for those who don't take the pandemic seriously, I am not opposed to them gathering in large groups, playing golf, going to bars, the beach, concerts, political rallies, or whatever they want, so long as they stay by themselves and don't mingle with those who take it seriously. 

I don't mean to be mean; this just seems like a way for folks to do what they want.

Does that make sense? 

I don't see that playing golf on a private course is not taking the pandemic seriously. Not sure how that got lumped in there. Plus the idea with the lock down was to flatten the curve. The total number infected and the total deaths could be the same either way, right? 

8 hours ago, Carl3 said:

I don't see that playing golf on a private course is not taking the pandemic seriously. 

My bad . . . I didn't realize this is a discussion about private golf courses.

Although, having said that, both of mine are 99.999999999999999999% members-only right now, and I would not go play. 

But, others do play, and that was my point, that if those who wish to socialize socialize, that's fine with me.  We're all big boys. 

Edited by Cartboy

• Administrator

Playing doesn’t mean “socializing.”

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Played another local course today.   They didn't allow anyone in the clubhouse.   They had an very small window open to pay and it was walking only.   The flags were in the cups but the cups were raised.   What I'm seeing, the courses aren't too crowded, some golfers are staying home because they can't/don't walk.    It was a great day to be outside enjoying a little warmer weather and some good golf.   Being socially distant within our foursome wasn't an issue and even though there were others on the course, most played fairly quick.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Finally, The Governor is re-opening golf in WA state, next Tuesday, May 5th.  Lot's of restrictions.  Can only go off in twosomes.  Foursomes if you're a family.  Currently trying to get my foursome buddies to go before a judge and change our last names to one of ours.

1 hour ago, Cartboy said:
9 hours ago, Carl3 said:

My bad . . . I didn't realize this is a discussion about private golf courses.

Not comparing essential activity to non-essential here...but going into a public building, grocery store for example is much more of a risk than a several hundred acre area where you can literally not be within 100yds of another person.

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

37 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Not comparing essential activity to non-essential here...but going into a public building, grocery store for example is much more of a risk than a several hundred acre area where you can literally not be within 100yds of another person.

Then go play, and have fun.  I already said that's OK with me:

But, others do play, and that was my point, that if those who wish to socialize socialize, that's fine with me.  We're all big boys. 

😷

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Playing doesn’t mean “socializing.”

You’d fit in perfectly with my group

My wife used to ask, “so, what did you guys talk about while golfing today?”

The answer…  golf!

56 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Finally, The Governor is re-opening golf in WA state, next Tuesday, May 5th.  Lot's of restrictions.  Can only go off in twosomes.  Foursomes if you're a family.  Currently trying to get my foursome buddies to go before a judge and change our last names to one of ours.

Because two people on a 400 yard long hole are safe, but 4 people are not?  :doh:

Regardless, I’m happy for you.  Baby steps.  :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

On 4/26/2020 at 7:50 PM, Cartboy said:

but there's no way in hell I'd go play golf.

I was referring to this. I understand you not wanting to ‘socialize’. I’m curious why you’d say that. You must be remaining indoors at all times. Otherwise you’re exposing yourself just as much whether on a golf course or not. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Played yesterday (please don't ask about my score, except my birdie at #5).   Those small cups from practice putting greens were installed on the holes, but no pins.  I didn't realize before how reliant on distance-to-pin I was for figuring out my approach shots.  I've played this course before and had a ton of GIRs.  Four yesterday.   Although since I hadn't hit outside in two months, I wasn't entirely sure where the ball was going.  Gotta do more practice outdoors... and just more practice in general. 

But I did get out to play golf.  And I wasn't all that close, distance-wise, to my friends, which is good for the current situation.  Only downside was it is sometimes hard to hear when we're wearing masks (not that I'm the most clear speaker anyway.  Something I work on in my professional life). 

19th hole was handled in the parking lot with appropriate distancing.   Three of our foursome, plus a guest who showed up for the 19th (and brought pizza and beer) have "Dr." in front of their name, so I have confidence we were okay in what we were doing. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

7 hours ago, Shindig said:

Played yesterday (please don't ask about my score, except my birdie at #5).

How did you score other than the birdie on #5?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

- Shane

10 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I was referring to this. I understand you not wanting to ‘socialize’. I’m curious why you’d say that. You must be remaining indoors at all times. Otherwise you’re exposing yourself just as much whether on a golf course or not. 

Like I said, go play golf if you want.

😷

Looks like PA and IL can start playing this Friday and WA on the 5th...can someone please call the MD dummies, once Friday comes every state around them is open, which will just hurt MD courses because everyone is going to bordering states.

image.thumb.png.ec0f05c312af26690ef3fbb1495b9b62.png

Gus
---------------

Note: This thread is 1123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!