IGNORED

Is Golf Available Where You Live? (COVID-19 Edition)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

COVID-19 and Golf  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Are golf courses near you open for play? (Please change your vote as the situation changes.)

• Almost all are open.
    • Some golf courses are still open for play.
    • No golf courses near me are open for play due to COVID-19.
  2. 2. What modifications have golf courses that are open for play made? Select all that apply.

• Limited restaurant/pro shop/clubhouse access.
    • No indoor access at all.
    • Removed ball washers and/or rakes from the course.
    • Tee times spaced further apart.
    • Carts limited to single riders.
    • No carts at all - walking only.
    • Raised cups or foam or PVC inserts to minimize contact with the flagstick/hole.
    • Plentiful hand sanitizer solutions.
    • Only members can play - course is closed to guests.
    • Contact reduced or eliminated - payments handled solely online or by phone.
    • Modifications to group size - twosomes only, threesomes only, family members only, etc.
    • Course is closed.

1 minute ago, phillyk said:

Prior to it being “ordered,” we recommended people ride separately and we had enough of a fleet to accommodate. More people within a group preferred to ride together versus in separate carts. Obviously people who didn’t know each other would want separation, but socially, I think, people preferred to be together. 

Haven’t heard golfers really complain about this even when I was at a course that ran 7.5min times. It was more about getting people to hit just 1 tee shot off the first hole, instead of multiple breakfast balls. 

Im excited for WA to get back at it. The force must be strong with golf. States are opening up around it. 

Phil, where are you playing on the 5th?  And where are you having your margarita on the 5th.  Or do you plead the 5th?

• Like 1

They recently opened courses here in New York with some provisions like no carts and other social distancing measures. One of the bigger changes is all transactions need to be online, unfortunately for me I won’t be able to play for a bit because I usually play as a single and almost all courses here do not allow for booking as a single.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Phil, where are you playing on the 5th?  And where are you having your margaritas on the 5th.  Or do you plead the 5th?

FTFY, but likely Coa takeout. The blue margarita is yummy! Playing? No idea yet. Hopefully I’ll be working instead. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

30 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Prior to it being “ordered,” we recommended people ride separately and we had enough of a fleet to accommodate. More people within a group preferred to ride together versus in separate carts. Obviously people who didn’t know each other would want separation, but socially, I think, people preferred to be together. 

The last round of golf I played was at a course in SW FL where I once retrained and supervised the outside staff of 25.  Nice little 27 hole course where we ran 300-400 tee times a day in Snowbird season.

It was the week before things really hit the fan down there.  There were a few cases, and deaths, in Sarasota, Ft. Myers, Naples, etc., but it wasn't really a thing yet.

I got paired with three strangers, a couple in the other cart and another single guy in my cart.  Busy, busy day, and carts were running out of juice.  No sanitizing, no distancing, ice and water station just the way it always was.

I had a great time . . . we all joked about whether anyone had been on a cruise lately . . . or been to China.  Of course, that was a timeframe that we now know asymptomatic people were spreading it.

A week later things were a lot different, and I thought what an idiot I had been, that it was no longer funny.

Edited by Cartboy

8 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

Or not. 🤨

I'm thinking of going full on Darth Vader outfit though.

This I got to see!   Especially with a shaved head!   Pics!

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

With the lengthening of tee time intervals it is tough to book tee times. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

image.jpg

The bulk of Long Island’s publicly accessible golf courses were open for play on Monday, with the...

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

9 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

Update: After significant public outrage about the mandate of face masks, the gov-nah has backed off. They are now just recommending them.

It’s always good to hear when an elected official actually listens to their constituents!    :beer:

FWIW, only 7 states actually have some kind of mandate for masks.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

More Missouri:

COVID -19
On Monday, Governor Mike Parson launched the Show-Me Strong Recovery Plan which will go into effect on May 4, 2020. This economic recovery plan will enable MGA to begin conducting golf events at some locations. As it states in Phase 1 of this economic recovery plan, “some communities may be able to reopen at a faster rate, while others may need to continue restrictions to keep the virus from spreading” so we will be observing local mandates and guidelines for the most up to date recommendations pertaining to golf courses. Most importantly, our priority is the safety of our players, host club officials, volunteers and MGA staff and we are working to implement health and safety measures as well as follow any guidance provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

MGA UPDATE
MGA plans to kick-off the season on May 26th with the Missouri Amateur qualifier at The Falls Golf Club in O’Fallon. Golf tournaments, just like other events, will look differently from what they have been in the past. We will be observing the CDC’s minimum recommended physical distancing of six feet from other individuals at all times. Other health and safety measures will be implemented but will not alter competition. We will be sharing these changes during upcoming weeks via email and social media channels so stay tuned for the most current information.

I encourage you to visit the MGA website at mogolf.org for the revised schedule since some events have been postponed or will be rescheduled. As of today, we are still accepting tournament entries and this includes the Missouri Junior Tour. There are still spots available but I anticipate the Tour events to start filling up during the next month. Now is the time to submit your entries so don’t wait!

Thank you for your support during this unprecedented time. 

NJ golf courses will be reopening on Saturday. Time to order some more Snells.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

15 minutes ago, billchao said:

NJ golf courses will be reopening on Saturday.

Congrat's, that closes the circle around MD, we can go to 5 surrounding states now.

Randy Orton Reaction GIF by WWE

Gus
---------------

8 minutes ago, JGus said:

Congrat's, that closes the circle around MD, we can go to 5 surrounding states now.

Randy Orton Reaction GIF by WWE

Well I can’t get any of my municipal courses on the phone to see if they will be open so I’m going to have to find another course to play.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

9 minutes ago, billchao said:

Well I can’t get any of my municipal courses on the phone to see if they will be open so I’m going to have to find another course to play.

Have you tried booking an online reservation with them?

Golf courses have re-opened here...most were only closed for about a week in the early part of April. I am playing tomorrow!

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Have you tried booking an online reservation with them?

There are no tee times available. They have not updated their system, yet.

Bill

My Swing Thread

So my old province and the one beside my current one announced golf will be opening for May 4th. 

The only restrictions will be raised cups and 1 person per cart. 

I emailed Sask Golf that they need to apply more pressure and paint the other provinces as an example. When the adjacent province is having little restrictions while we have 20 min tee times and no practise areas, I think we are the ones doing it wrong.

Note: This thread is 1145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!