IGNORED

Is Golf Available Where You Live? (COVID-19 Edition)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

COVID-19 and Golf  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Are golf courses near you open for play? (Please change your vote as the situation changes.)

• Almost all are open.
    • Some golf courses are still open for play.
    • No golf courses near me are open for play due to COVID-19.
  2. 2. What modifications have golf courses that are open for play made? Select all that apply.

• Limited restaurant/pro shop/clubhouse access.
    • No indoor access at all.
    • Removed ball washers and/or rakes from the course.
    • Tee times spaced further apart.
    • Carts limited to single riders.
    • No carts at all - walking only.
    • Raised cups or foam or PVC inserts to minimize contact with the flagstick/hole.
    • Plentiful hand sanitizer solutions.
    • Only members can play - course is closed to guests.
    • Contact reduced or eliminated - payments handled solely online or by phone.
    • Modifications to group size - twosomes only, threesomes only, family members only, etc.
    • Course is closed.

6 minutes ago, billchao said:

There are no tee times available. They have not updated their system, yet.

Sorry.  Our courses open next Tuesday.  3 of our courses updated their system within hours of the Governor's announcement.  And all 3 are already fully booked for the opening day!

5 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Sorry.  Our courses open next Tuesday.  3 of our courses updated their system within hours of the Governor's announcement.  And all 3 are already fully booked for the opening day!

You better start greasing your pals in the pro shops.....otherwise the only thing you'll be doing on May 5th is watching The Bachelor with your wife.

2somes only...... isn't helping WA golfers to obtain tee times.

5 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

You better start greasing your pals in the pro shops.....otherwise the only thing you'll be doing on May 5th is watching The Bachelor with your wife.

2somes only...... isn't helping WA golfers to obtain tee times.

I signed up for a 1:04 tee time yesterday.  I'm set.  Bet I could sell the second slot in my twosome for some good money... but I already invited a buddy.

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I signed up for a 1:04 tee time yesterday.  I'm set.  Bet I could sell the second slot in my twosome for some good money... but I already invited a buddy.

spacer.png

I played today. It was surprisingly normal once you got on the course. The course I played had foam in the cups so you could still "hole out" and no rakes in bunkers, but it was pretty normal besides that. The foam inserts are fine, but they definitely don't give you a great feel for holed putts. You're not going to make anything with pace. 

After having golfed, I feel pretty strongly that it should be allowed, based on what we know right now. As long as you're paying even a little bit of attention, it's easy to keep 6 feet away from the others in your group. I've had way closer contact with people when I go for a hike or run or walk on trails. The risk isn't zero, but it's pretty damn low. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, DeadMan said:

I played today. It was surprisingly normal once you got on the course. The course I played had foam in the cups so you could still "hole out" and no rakes in bunkers, but it was pretty normal besides that. The foam inserts are fine, but they definitely don't give you a great feel for holed putts. You're not going to make anything with pace. 

After having golfed, I feel pretty strongly that it should be allowed, based on what we know right now. As long as you're paying even a little bit of attention, it's easy to keep 6 feet away from the others in your group. I've had way closer contact with people when I go for a hike or run or walk on trails. The risk isn't zero, but it's pretty damn low. 

Are ya missin' the sound of the ball rattling in the cup?

5 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Are ya missin' the sound of the ball rattling in the cup?

Or hitting the flagstick and dropping, yes. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

We HAD two beautiful 27 hole Municipal Golf Courses here.  But our Mayor (not a golf fan) has been trying to shut one down for years, claiming it didn't make enough Tourist dollars and was losing money.  She used the COVID-19 pandemic as an excuse to not open one of the courses and limited the other to 18 holes at this time.  We are a City of 88,000 people and the overcrowding on the one course is going to drive a lot of golfers out of the area.

In my bag: Cobra Bio Cell 10.5º driver ;  Cobra Bio Cell 3w;  Mizuno MP H4 3 - PW;  Mizuno MP T4 52º GW, 56º SW, 60º LW
Favorite ball Titleist Pro-V
One HIO....LUCK.

57 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

One of the guys in the twosome we were paired with had 3 or 4 balls roll right over of bounce out due the the foam not being too far down in the cup.  

They need to place the foam a little deeper than an inch or two, otherwise some speedy putts that would otherwise drop in will pop right out or roll right through.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

12 minutes ago, Yukari said:

One of the guys in the twosome we were paired with had 3 or 4 balls roll right over of bounce out due the the foam not being too far down in the cup.  

They need to place the foam a little deeper than an inch or two, otherwise some speedy putts that would otherwise drop in will pop right out or roll right through.

I have had that happen with a slightly firm 3' putt, dead-center, with the cup upside down.

• Administrator

This is how Southern Pines handles things:

2020-04-26 16.36.24.jpg

I can't say I particularly like this solution as many balls would thump the wood disc and bounce back out. You still had to make an estimate as to whether the ball would have gone in, and sometimes they wouldn't be perfectly flat, they'd angle slightly, so the ball might hit a high side and not even get about 1/8" below the green.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

We are trying to decide if we will be holding competitive events under these conditions.  The two players per tee time limit is a little bit of a shocker.

NJ Governor's Order

Beginning at sunrise on Saturday, May 2, golf courses can re-open, so long as they adopt minimum social distancing policies that include:

• Implementing electronic or telephone reservation and payment systems while still providing options for populations that do not have access to internet service or credit cards;
  • Extending tee times to sixteen minutes apart;
  • Limiting the use of golf carts to one person unless being shared by immediate family members, caretakers, household members, or romantic partners;
  • Requiring frequent, and after each use, sanitization of high-touch areas such as restroom facilities, range buckets, golf carts, and push carts; • Restricting the touching of golf holes and flags;
  • Closing golf center buildings, pro shops, and other buildings and amenities;
  • Removing bunker rakes and other furniture-like benches, water coolers, and ball washers from the course; • Discontinuing club and equipment rentals;
  • Prohibiting the use of caddies;
  • Limiting tee times to two players unless the foursome consists of immediate family, caretakers, household members or romantic partners; and
  • Requiring players to always maintain appropriate social distancing by remaining six feet apart from others.

Golf courses may impose additional restrictions as necessary to limit person-to-person interactions.

Employees, players, and other individuals on the golf course are encouraged to wear cloth face coverings while on the golf course.

Miniature golf courses and driving ranges must remain closed.

Updated/Reviewed: 4/29/20

Edited by iacas
fixed bad formatting

Not terrible, that is how Bergen Point on Long Island has them. 

A lot better than the foam pool things in the hole. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Just announced that Honolulu courses can open starting Friday afternoon. I just checked a few websites and their not updated yet, but pretty sure I’ll get out this weekend. 
Aloha,

iSank

• Upvote 1

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

Note: This thread is 1145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!