IGNORED

Is Golf Available Where You Live? (COVID-19 Edition)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

COVID-19 and Golf  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Are golf courses near you open for play? (Please change your vote as the situation changes.)

• Almost all are open.
    • Some golf courses are still open for play.
    • No golf courses near me are open for play due to COVID-19.
  2. 2. What modifications have golf courses that are open for play made? Select all that apply.

• Limited restaurant/pro shop/clubhouse access.
    • No indoor access at all.
    • Removed ball washers and/or rakes from the course.
    • Tee times spaced further apart.
    • Carts limited to single riders.
    • No carts at all - walking only.
    • Raised cups or foam or PVC inserts to minimize contact with the flagstick/hole.
    • Plentiful hand sanitizer solutions.
    • Only members can play - course is closed to guests.
    • Contact reduced or eliminated - payments handled solely online or by phone.
    • Modifications to group size - twosomes only, threesomes only, family members only, etc.
    • Course is closed.

3 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Sounds like the ol' cluster f***.  Are you close enough to any of these courses that you could physically drive there and make a tee time reservation? And tell them to talk to their IT guy?

Depends on your definition of close, but no, I'm not driving to any of these places to try to make a tee time.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

59 minutes ago, Yukari said:

Yeah this phone call only tee time is a drag.  But at least we have courses open.  So can't complain too much.

Can't complain? ... Wanna bet? Complaining is my specialty.

Kidding, sort of. ... Part of the big problem we are having on the muni-end of things is that the City of Dayton in their infinite laziness hasn't opened any of their six courses. This causes all the other public courses to deal with the overflow. Most of my vitriol is reserved for the morons in charge of Dayton and not the actual golf department, because this is probably a political thing at this point.  

That said, I'll be pleased to be out. No question. 

Found a course! It's over an hour away... but I'm playing golf on Saturday B-)

I'm beginning to wonder if there's an issue with the GolfNow system which a lot of courses use nowadays. I'm not seeing a single tee time available at any course that uses it, even during the week. Even twilight times are booked full? I sincerely doubt it.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

11 minutes ago, billchao said:

Found a course! It's over an hour away... but I'm playing golf on Saturday B-)

I'm beginning to wonder if there's an issue with the GolfNow system which a lot of courses use nowadays. I'm not seeing a single tee time available at any course that uses it, even during the week. Even twilight times are booked full? I sincerely doubt it.

Same thing with the online system for my local course.  Through 7 days there's not a single morning time... not even a straggler 6:45AM.  Nothing.  But every tee time under the sun exists at 1:04PM until dark.  Something's askew...

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Same thing with the online system for my local course.  Through 7 days there's not a single morning time... not even a straggler 6:45AM.  Nothing.  But every tee time under the sun exists at 1:04PM until dark.  Something's askew...

The courses I looked at using the GolfNow system have zero tee times available any day. Not even a single 6:00PM twilight round. Doesn’t make sense.

The resort I ended up making the tee time at had two times available in the 7:00AM hour for a single player on two different courses, then a variety of open times after 4:30PM which is more in line with what I was expecting.

At this point I’m committed to my tee time because I’d have to cancel by tomorrow morning and that’s probably not enough time to keep looking around and hope other courses have openings. Honestly, I’m happy to be playing golf even though it’s a course I’ve never played before (fun for the first round of the season) and more expensive than what I would have liked.

Bill

My Swing Thread

10 minutes ago, billchao said:

The courses I looked at using the GolfNow system have zero tee times available any day. Not even a single 6:00PM twilight round. Doesn’t make sense.

The resort I ended up making the tee time at had two times available in the 7:00AM hour for a single player on two different courses, then a variety of open times after 4:30PM which is more in line with what I was expecting.

At this point I’m committed to my tee time because I’d have to cancel by tomorrow morning and that’s probably not enough time to keep looking around and hope other courses have openings. Honestly, I’m happy to be playing golf even though it’s a course I’ve never played before (fun for the first round of the season) and more expensive than what I would have liked.

I always love playing a new course I haven't played before.  Always helps if you play with a local...

6 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I always love playing a new course I haven't played before.  Always helps if you play with a local...

I prefer to be the one with local knowledge over being the one depending on local knowledge, but these are tough times :-P

I should try and play more courses, though. I'm too much of a creature of habit.

Bill

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, billchao said:

I prefer to be the one with local knowledge over being the one depending on local knowledge, but these are tough times :-P

I should try and play more courses, though. I'm too much of a creature of habit.

I've run out of courses to play near me.  I'd have to go 90 miles south to Seattle to play a new course

1 hour ago, billchao said:

See tee times here?

https://www.golfnow.com/tee-times/facility/4366-branson-hills-golf-club/search#sortby=Date&view=Grouping&holes=3&timeperiod=3&timemax=42&timemin=10&players=0&pricemax=10000&pricemin=0

27 minutes ago, billchao said:

You live among one of the best county systems in the country IMO.  I was never dying to play more courses when I lived there because the county rotation was so good.  Would love to have that at my disposal.

For the record, played my home course for the first time since the lock downs.  Course is in beautiful shape.  I've been putting lights out this year.  Had my worst putting day of the year on a course I'm supposed to know best.  Maybe it should have stayed closed.

24 minutes ago, Cartboy said:

Yes.

They're also working at my county courses now. Somebody probably had to update something in the system and get everything open with the new limitations.

12 minutes ago, gbogey said:

You live among one of the best county systems in the country IMO.  I was never dying to play more courses when I lived there because the county rotation was so good.  Would love to have that at my disposal.

Yea, Somerset County has nice courses. I hear Monmouth County has pretty good courses, too. I think I've only played one of theirs.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Today I did something I have not done in over a month.  I hit golf balls - driving range.  South Florida courses are slowly, haltingly, chaotically coming back online sporting lots of distance and cleanliness rules.  They were essentially closed for the month of April.  (The rest of Florida's courses were mostly open.)  A few made improvements in the downtime, at least I have read that they have.

My wife is super pissed that I can't wait to golf again.  She totally does not get it.

8 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

My wife is super pissed that I can't wait to golf again.  She totally does not get it.

There are only two types of people in this world. Those who get golf and those who don't.

24 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

There’s a shocker. 

- Shane

So now that my county course issues are resolved, I canceled my previous tee time for Saturday and made one at my “home” course.

Might play on Sunday, too, maybe sometime after lunch. I usually avoid playing at that time but I’m expecting pace of play to be pretty decent with the new restrictions.

Bill

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, Cantankerish said:

Huh....WTF????....time to trade her in for a new model....marry a Korean woman...they are addicted to golf.....lol.

My wife doesn't golf anymore...but I use to always enjoy playing golf with her....she also encouraged me to play if I was guilty to play twice on the weekends.....she also has never told me what or how to spend money...including golf...heck she even told me to quit being a cheap a** and get some custom fitted clubs.

10 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

Today I did something I have not done in over a month.  I hit golf balls - driving range.  South Florida courses are slowly, haltingly, chaotically coming back online sporting lots of distance and cleanliness rules.  They were essentially closed for the month of April.  (The rest of Florida's courses were mostly open.)  A few made improvements in the downtime, at least I have read that they have.

By South Florida do you mean Southeast Florida?  It has been hit extremely hard by the virus, so things are more restrictive than other areas of Florida.

I tried to share a link to the Florida COVID map, but it didn't like it.

I don't believe any courses closed in our neck o' the swamp.

10 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

There are only two types of people in this world. Those who get golf and those who don't.

A third type . . . those who "get" it, but are not obsessed.

😷

Edited by Cartboy

Note: This thread is 1145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!