IGNORED

Is Golf Available Where You Live? (COVID-19 Edition)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

COVID-19 and Golf  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Are golf courses near you open for play? (Please change your vote as the situation changes.)

• Almost all are open.
    • Some golf courses are still open for play.
    • No golf courses near me are open for play due to COVID-19.
  2. 2. What modifications have golf courses that are open for play made? Select all that apply.

• Limited restaurant/pro shop/clubhouse access.
    • No indoor access at all.
    • Removed ball washers and/or rakes from the course.
    • Tee times spaced further apart.
    • Carts limited to single riders.
    • No carts at all - walking only.
    • Raised cups or foam or PVC inserts to minimize contact with the flagstick/hole.
    • Plentiful hand sanitizer solutions.
    • Only members can play - course is closed to guests.
    • Contact reduced or eliminated - payments handled solely online or by phone.
    • Modifications to group size - twosomes only, threesomes only, family members only, etc.
    • Course is closed.

41 minutes ago, iacas said:

A lot of the "stay at home" things allow exercise outdoors. What is golf if not that? Just make people walk.

NJ’s EO 107 does indeed provide allowances for outdoor activities. It also explicitly states that all places of public amusement, whether indoors or outdoors, must be closed. I suppose golf course fall under that category.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, billchao said:

NJ’s EO 107 does indeed provide allowances for outdoor activities. It also explicitly states that all places of public amusement, whether indoors or outdoors, must be closed. I suppose golf course fall under that category.

Ah, but a golf course is not always amusement...

Had to take measures into my own hands today as all local courses have been shut down.This nearby park is rarely if ever used so I decided to get my tax dollars worth today.

WITB:

:ping: G25 8.5 with Hazardous black stiff shaft. Anser 3W 15 degree

:mizuno: MP-14 3-9. 51* Mizuno, :cleveland:54* Cleveland RAW ,60*  588 :odyssey: #2 Stricker special

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, billchao said:

I don't think "public amusement" includes golf courses necessarily. I think that's more like amusement parks, amphitheaters, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

34 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't think "public amusement" includes golf courses necessarily. I think that's more like amusement parks, amphitheaters, etc.

Yes, amusement parks, water parks, aquariums, zoos, that kind of stuff. But it's actually just a subcategory described under paragraph 9 that says "All recreational and entertainment businesses, including but not limited to the following list, must remain closed..." I'm the one that tried to identify specifically what a golf course falls under, but it's a pretty big umbrella.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

All those listed involve close contact or at least very possible interactions less than six feet apart. Golf doesn’t.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

My club is still open with limited F&B...

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Confusion in Mass. The order allows fewer than 10 on an 'athletic field' but shut golf courses down. Mass Golf Asso. is looking to clarify it, hoping for an answer in 48 hours. Uncharted territory here for everybody so not getting worked up now. After I will want answers on we are so ill prepared for this.

Thanks God this was not a manufactured bug from a gov't  or foreign agency intending to do us harm.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Got an e-mail from the course where my buddy and I are supposed to play in a league this year. They are open, and listed some of the precautions they are taking. They are spacing carts 6 feet apart, but said nothing about single riders. They are going to make sure keys, scorecards, and pencils will already be in them. Carts will be wiped down with sterile wipes after every use. Door handles and bathrooms will receive extra attention. Bunker rakes, ball washers, and flagsticks will not be put out. 

I think the flagsticks could be a problem, but to tell you the truth, at my age I'm just happy to be anywhere on the green in reg! 

I'm going to call them tomorrow to suggest the raised cup liner or pool noodle idea, so we could have flagsticks to look at. 

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

All those listed involve close contact or at least very possible interactions less than six feet apart. Golf doesn’t.

Yea, but the courses I usually play are definitely closed. I suppose I could call around and see if there are any that are open, but I’m not planning on playing anytime soon anyway.

Bill

My Swing Thread

15 minutes ago, billchao said:

Yea, but the courses I usually play are definitely closed. I suppose I could call around and see if there are any that are open, but I’m not planning on playing anytime soon anyway.

Yeah. Orange County ( adjacent to mine) just issued a lockdown on all non-essential businesses. So I guess it’s coming..

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

We have just been locked down. One of the reasons for the lock down is the failure of the public as a whole to follow social distancing guidelines. More specifically I have seen golfers at my club walk down the fairway side by side, clap each other on the back, shake hands on eighteen and then sit round the same table in the clubhouse. They were all retired males. I mentioned to my mother who is 72 and she said “when you’re old you stop giving a shit”. 

Stevie T

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, Beastie said:

We have just been locked down. One of the reasons for the lock down is the failure of the public as a whole to follow social distancing guidelines. More specifically I have seen golfers at my club walk down the fairway side by side, clap each other on the back, shake hands on eighteen and then sit round the same table in the clubhouse. They were all retired males. I mentioned to my mother who is 72 and she said “when you’re old you stop giving a shit”. 

So a few bad apples are, thus far, spoiling it for those who did abide by the rules.

Cool.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

So a few bad apples are, thus far, spoiling it for those who did abide by the rules.

Cool.

Yup , that’s about it. More than few bad apples and it’s hard to change human nature. Though I don’t think the social distancing was going to be sufficient anyway. The government policy is to restrict the spread to allow the NHS to cope and they hoped that social distancing would be enough. Then they redid the computer modelling about 2 weeks ago with fresher data and came up with these numbers for the UK. 
No action 500k dead   

First attempts at social distancing  200k 

lock down 10-20k

I read an article on the BBC which said that the government had run the same model for the US and the number of fatalities was 2 million if no action was taken.... 

A major part of the problem is that the patients with the worst symptoms take 2-3 weeks in intensive care before they recover(if they do). The load on the hospitals is way beyond capacity here now. 

Stay safe and healthy.

Stevie T

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Yeah. Orange County ( adjacent to mine) just issued a lockdown on all non-essential businesses. So I guess it’s coming..

Bring your 8 handicap and your wallet over beach-side, Moose and Rocco will be waiting for you. I have played for the last 12 days straight and have seen a gradual reduction in the later afternoon crowd. No flag-sticks, none on the practice green either. Plus they put in the swim noodles the other day. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

Tell Moose and Rocco to  bring friends.

Edited by Vinsk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Tell Moose and Rocco to  bring friends.

Can I come watch?  Maybe handle your action?  :-D

• Like 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 1151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!