IGNORED

Is Golf Available Where You Live? (COVID-19 Edition)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

COVID-19 and Golf  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Are golf courses near you open for play? (Please change your vote as the situation changes.)

• Almost all are open.
    • Some golf courses are still open for play.
    • No golf courses near me are open for play due to COVID-19.
  2. 2. What modifications have golf courses that are open for play made? Select all that apply.

• Limited restaurant/pro shop/clubhouse access.
    • No indoor access at all.
    • Removed ball washers and/or rakes from the course.
    • Tee times spaced further apart.
    • Carts limited to single riders.
    • No carts at all - walking only.
    • Raised cups or foam or PVC inserts to minimize contact with the flagstick/hole.
    • Plentiful hand sanitizer solutions.
    • Only members can play - course is closed to guests.
    • Contact reduced or eliminated - payments handled solely online or by phone.
    • Modifications to group size - twosomes only, threesomes only, family members only, etc.
    • Course is closed.

5 hours ago, boogielicious said:

The news is reporting Mass will open, but did not give a date.

Bada bing. Bada boom!

golfers-in-massachusetts.jpg?w=640

Massachusetts governor Charlie Baker reopened his state for golf Thursday, effective immediately, making the Commonwealth the last state to...

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

58 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Bada bing. Bada boom!

golfers-in-massachusetts.jpg?w=640

Massachusetts governor Charlie Baker reopened his state for golf Thursday, effective immediately, making the Commonwealth the last state to...

8:07 tee time at Black Swan! Walking only,  practice areas are not open.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, cutchemist42 said:

I really wish my province would relax the 20 minute tee time.

That strikes me is pretty silly. That’s close to two holes between groups!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

3 hours ago, David in FL said:

That strikes me is pretty silly. That’s close to two holes between groups!

NJ has 16 minute tee time intervals right now. That is the one thing I did not understand about the new restrictions. Yes, it spaces the groups out more and with twosomes only helps eliminate possible backups on the course, but it's not like when a tee is backed up everyone gets together as one big group and congregates. Most of the time you stay with your own group and give the people on the tee some breathing room. The gap is quickly made up once you start playing anyway.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

4 minutes ago, billchao said:

NJ has 16 minute tee time intervals right now. That is the one thing I did not understand about the new restrictions. Yes, it spaces the groups out more and with twosomes only helps eliminate possible backups on the course, but it's not like when a tee is backed up everyone gets together as one big group and congregates. Most of the time you stay with your own group and give the people on the tee some breathing room. The gap is quickly made up once you start playing anyway.

It has become clear to me that the people making all these regulations aren’t in touch with the real world. 

• Upvote 1

- Shane

1 minute ago, CarlSpackler said:

It has become clear to me that the people making all these regulations aren’t in touch with the real world. 

It's the only one I don't necessarily agree with. Single rider carts? Good. Two to a group? I get it. Don't touch the flagstick, no rakes, no ball washers, no benches. Makes sense. No driving range or practice greens? Also makes sense. Prepaid tee times? That one is obvious. 16 minute tee intervals? Does the person who came up with this even play golf?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

7 minutes ago, billchao said:

It's the only one I don't necessarily agree with. Single rider carts? Good. Two to a group? I get it. Don't touch the flagstick, no rakes, no ball washers, no benches. Makes sense. No driving range or practice greens? Also makes sense. Prepaid tee times? That one is obvious. 16 minute tee intervals? Does the person who came up with this even play golf?

I’ve played in quite a few foursomes that can effectively keep separated. They might be more accustomed to putt putt. 

- Shane

Mass finally let them open. My course is tomorrow. Huge list of rules with no carts leading the way. Seniors are having a fit....

Anyway, what you doing in bunkers? No rakes, so playing it as you found it or taking a lie?

Our area's stay at home order expires tonight. There are some courses that are opening up their driving ranges. I plan to hit up one tomorrow and see how it works. The course I'm planning on going to is taking practice time reservations, which is interesting. I will report back on how it goes.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

7 hours ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

Mass finally let them open. My course is tomorrow. Huge list of rules with no carts leading the way. Seniors are having a fit....

Anyway, what you doing in bunkers? No rakes, so playing it as you found it or taking a lie?

I’m playing Black Swan in Georgetown this morning. I don’t mind walking, but I agree it really affects seniors. Also, with no bathroom access, women players like my wife aren’t too happy.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

10 hours ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

In the rounds I've played that have a competition element they are "ground under repair." For my casual rounds it has depended on the course.  On courses with decently maintained bunkers its business as usual and the foot rake afterwards.  The course I played last night the bunkers hadn't been maintained in a least a month so that became GUR.

12 hours ago, billchao said:

16 minute tee intervals

Some of the municipal courses here have gone to 20 minute intervals but still allow foursomes.  What I've seen happen several times is two twosomes book the same time and then tee off 10 minutes apart.  Let's just say pace of play has been great.

I wrote a lot of emails to various outlets and organizations pointing out how silly 20 min tee times was. I know the golf courses hated the initial 20 minute tee times.

Been about 2 weeks since the Sask reopen plan but the government reduced it to 12 minutes and will now allow driving range and practise areas to be used.

I think a lot of people and courses complained when Manitoba and Alberta next door had much looser restrictions.

19 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Our area's stay at home order expires tonight. There are some courses that are opening up their driving ranges. I plan to hit up one tomorrow and see how it works. The course I'm planning on going to is taking practice time reservations, which is interesting. I will report back on how it goes.

Did this today. It worked pretty well. There wasn't anyone else who had made a reservation to practice at the time I was there. The driving range was spread out enough that I wasn't within 6 feet of anyone else. $10 for 35 minutes of practice time was a little steep, but beggars can't be choosers. Since nobody else had made a reservation, the 35 minute limit wasn't really enforced.

The two negatives were one guy getting a little upset with the staff that he couldn't just walk up and use his range key at the range and 3 idiots drinking beer together in the parking lot. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

The Mitten is now allowing single rider carts.  The requirement is that each cart be sanitized completely prior to its next use.  A few courses will likely struggle with that process.  Also, the single rider aspect will make playing early important.  If the first 50-70 players take carts, that is going to make it hard to accommodate everyone who plays later.

Brian Kuehn

Note: This thread is 1149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!