IGNORED

Is Golf Available Where You Live? (COVID-19 Edition)

COVID-19 and Golf  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Are golf courses near you open for play? (Please change your vote as the situation changes.)

• Almost all are open.
    • Some golf courses are still open for play.
    • No golf courses near me are open for play due to COVID-19.
  2. 2. What modifications have golf courses that are open for play made? Select all that apply.

• Limited restaurant/pro shop/clubhouse access.
    • No indoor access at all.
    • Removed ball washers and/or rakes from the course.
    • Tee times spaced further apart.
    • Carts limited to single riders.
    • No carts at all - walking only.
    • Raised cups or foam or PVC inserts to minimize contact with the flagstick/hole.
    • Plentiful hand sanitizer solutions.
    • Only members can play - course is closed to guests.
    • Contact reduced or eliminated - payments handled solely online or by phone.
    • Modifications to group size - twosomes only, threesomes only, family members only, etc.
    • Course is closed.

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

GolfNow has changed their name to GolfLater.

In Vietnam we have 0 case out there in public for about 2 months, only some cases coming back from other countries and they are all quarantined. So everything is back to normal for more than 1 mo

Governor Tom Wolf clearly does not understand golf OR fishing (the fishing season opened up two weeks EARLY recently). And yeah, southeastern PA is a hot spot. It's Philly, right near NYC. What a

Posted Images

3 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

The Mitten is now allowing single rider carts.  The requirement is that each cart be sanitized completely prior to its next use.  A few courses will likely struggle with that process.  Also, the single rider aspect will make playing early important.  If the first 50-70 players take carts, that is going to make it hard to accommodate everyone who plays later.

From Shepherd's Hollow:

At this time, the following terms apply to golf cart use:

• One cart for every two players.
  • Two riders can be in the same cart if they are in the same household, otherwise we permit one rider and one walker per cart.
  • Social distancing is expected, including at the tee boxes and greens.
  • Shepherd's Hollow staff will thoroughly sanitize golf carts after each guest's use.

So if you have 4 golfers that don't live together, 2 ride, 2 walk with all of the bags in the cart.   I can live with this.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Upstate, New York here and about 40 rounds in this year. A few, perhaps, may have been "illegal". 🤫

No carts available that I know of and most courses aren't allowing pullcarts.

I find it interesting how different courses are using/not using the flagsticks. Some courses leave it in, others have a cover in the hole. One course here even took the sticks out and placed inflatable footballs in the holes. 

Definitely made a couple extra putts with those in. 😜

3 minutes ago, K_Monty24 said:

Upstate, New York here and about 40 rounds in this year. A few, perhaps, may have been "illegal". 🤫

No carts available that I know of and most courses aren't allowing pullcarts.

I find it interesting how different courses are using/not using the flagsticks. Some courses leave it in, others have a cover in the hole. One course here even took the sticks out and placed inflatable footballs in the holes. 

Definitely made a couple extra putts with those in. 😜

What do think the logic behind no pull carts is???

3 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Sharing/Touching I suppose. Half the courses around here say no pull carts and the other half are a "if you don't tell I won't."

Nothing around here is too consistent, though. I see 70-80% of the courses around here leaving the sticks in, which people would touch more frequently.

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I think he’s talking about the shared carts. Not people using their own pull or push carts?

5 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

If not pull carts that would be going above and beyond moronic. Or maybe he means to rent from course? 

Correct, I should have specified. You can bring your own, but you can not rent one.

24 minutes ago, K_Monty24 said:

Sharing/Touching I suppose. Half the courses around here say no pull carts and the other half are a "if you don't tell I won't."

Nothing around here is too consistent, though. I see 70-80% of the courses around here leaving the sticks in, which people would touch more frequently.

Ah, so you were talking about pull carts that are for rent from the pro shop.  But not your own that you bring with you. 

I've been playing legally and "illegally" ever since we went on lockdown here in WA state.  Courses just reopened this past Monday.  I don't think I've touched a flagstick in over two months.  Ewwww.  Though I have to stop myself from picking up broken tees on the par 3's.  Still can't get in the hang of that.

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Ah, so you were talking about pull carts that are for rent from the pro shop.  But not your own that you bring with you. 

I've been playing legally and "illegally" ever since we went on lockdown here in WA state.  Courses just reopened this past Monday.  I don't think I've touched a flagstick in over two months.  Ewwww.  Though I have to stop myself from picking up broken tees on the par 3's.  Still can't get in the hang of that.

It's funny how we think differently now. Never would I have thought I'd consider not picking up tees or other players lost balls for reasons other than preference of brand, lol.

I bring a hand sanitizer bottle with me every time. It is what it is, I guess. 

Courses reopened in Northern California this past week. I played twice, at munis. Both times, I walked and there were no carts (other than ADA mandated). In one instance it was twosome maximum, and the other foursomes were ok. Both a wide pool noodle covering all of the hole (not just a small area around the flagstick), sunk about 3/4 to 1 inch below ground. Rakes, ballwashers, water fountains, benches were all removed or disabled. Online (or phone) reservation was mandatory but in both cases credit card payment (no cash) at the course was the norm, with a small table on the customer side of the front desk, with the credit card machine and hand sanitizer (mandatory use when walking in), while the pro-shop person was behind the desk and behind a sheet of plexiglass, wearing a mask and gloves. One masked golfer at a time in the pro-shop for check-in, no buying anything.  Carts are being re-allowed (one person per cart) this coming week, and so are foursomes everywhere.

To me, it was like normal play, as I tend to die my putts in the hole and hardly ever remove the flagstick (exceptions would be leaning towards me or to the side, buffeted by the wind, or the flagstick shadow on or nearly on my line, as the shadow is straight but my line may not be...).

But I saw a lot of golfers not staying 6ft apart from their partners, while walking down the fairways and on the greens, etc... In some cases, all 4 golfers were within a 6ft circle, near the hole!  Quite surprising as, if anything, golfers should know what 6ft looks like: twice the length of their jimmies, ah!  The problem is that if and when the epidemic grows again and the health authorities manage to get contact tracing going and track and outbreak to poorly distanced golfers, golf courses will be shut down again, even though it's one the easiest activities to stay 6ft away from anybody.

Edited by sjduffers

1 hour ago, sjduffers said:

Courses reopened in Northern California this past week. I played twice, at munis. Both times, I walked and there were no carts (other than ADA mandated). In one instance it was twosome maximum, and the other foursomes were ok. Both a wide pool noodle covering all of the hole (not just a small area around the flagstick), sunk about 3/4 to 1 inch below ground. Rakes, ballwashers, water fountains, benches were all removed or disabled. Online (or phone) reservation was mandatory but in both cases credit card payment (no cash) at the course was the norm, with a small table on the customer side of the front desk, with the credit card machine and hand sanitizer (mandatory use when walking in), while the pro-shop person was behind the desk and behind a sheet of plexiglass, wearing a mask and gloves. One masked golfer at a time in the pro-shop for check-in, no buying anything.  Carts are being re-allowed (one person per cart) this coming week, and so are foursomes everywhere.

To me, it was like normal play, as I tend to die my putts in the hole and hardly ever remove the flagstick (exceptions would be leaning towards me or to the side, buffeted by the wind, or the flagstick shadow on or nearly on my line, as the shadow is straight but my line may not be...).

But I saw a lot of golfers not staying 6ft apart from their partners, while walking down the fairways and on the greens, etc... In some cases, all 4 golfers were within a 6ft circle, near the hole!  Quite surprising as, if anything, golfers should know what 6ft looks like: twice the length of their jimmies, ah!  The problem is that if and when the epidemic grows again and the health authorities manage to get contact tracing going and track and outbreak to poorly distanced golfers, golf courses will be shut down again, even though it's one the easiest activities to stay 6ft away from anybody.

Sounds like something out of the bleak future. 

And the golfers clustering, less than 6 feet, they're selfish.  And they just want things to be like they used to be... but they need to grow up, get some cajones, and realize we're in different times right now.  Management should have thrown them off the course because they are virtually taking golf away from you, even though you are following guidelines.

I have seen it, too.  And for the most part everyone has followed the guidelines.  But it only takes a few to ruin things for everyone else.

Well, if you live in Wales or Scotland, nothing has changed, no golf, no nothing, just stay at home and stagnate. I suppose at least they know what they are doing, because in England it's crazy. We can now go out and play a two ball as long as it is with someone from your own household, or play a single ball. Funnily enough my club doesn't allow single balls, so they may have to re-look at that rule. The government have lifted time restrictions on exercise, as previously we were only allowed an hour a day, albeit everyone ignored that rule because it was stupid. So now you can meet up with a third party and have a long walk as long as you keep 2 meters apart, but you can't do the same and hit a golf ball. 

I have a friend who runs a golf club, and for him it's the worst scenario. He isn't allowed to open the shop or the club house, and the members have already paid their fees for the year. In short, if he opens up it will be for the very few people who want to come and play on their own. Opening up his course will mean paying the staff far more than he can ever hope to take in turnover. He wants to remain closed, however there will be an element of pressure from a minority of the golfers to open. 

To be honest, I doubt the government had bothered to think twice about golf when they formed the latest policy, and frankly I wouldn't expect them to, but what a hash they have made of things. Yesterday they announced the lifting of two measures, or did they really. Firstly the exercise which I have covered, and secondly asking people to return to work where it is possible. From the outset the government told people they could still work if they could keep social distancing, so in reality they have done absolutely nothing. 

12 hours ago, iacas said:

I have seen very good behavior from golfers. I’ve actually been impressed by how well people are following guidelines.

Most people I've been paired up with have been very different.  I don't know if it's because they were buddies or what, but they seem to be less than 6' apart on the greens and on the tee box.

Personally, I try to stay at least 10' away from anyone during a round.

Edited by Yukari

On 5/6/2020 at 1:46 PM, CarlSpackler said:

Same in Ohio, but we know the right way to raise our cups.

alan alda drinking GIF by WGN America

But Hawkeye was from Maine and BJ was from  California.

image.jpeg.a2414fb4a7144ba9999bd0366b4c63bf.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Cartboy said:

But Hawkeye was from Maine and BJ was from  California.

image.jpeg.a2414fb4a7144ba9999bd0366b4c63bf.jpeg

Show as examples, not actual residents. An Ohio native  would be like...

Bubba J Declares The Super Bowl To Be A 'Lie' In Hysterical Rant ...

• iacas unpinned this topic