IGNORED

Is Golf Available Where You Live? (COVID-19 Edition)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

COVID-19 and Golf  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Are golf courses near you open for play? (Please change your vote as the situation changes.)

• Almost all are open.
    • Some golf courses are still open for play.
    • No golf courses near me are open for play due to COVID-19.
  2. 2. What modifications have golf courses that are open for play made? Select all that apply.

• Limited restaurant/pro shop/clubhouse access.
    • No indoor access at all.
    • Removed ball washers and/or rakes from the course.
    • Tee times spaced further apart.
    • Carts limited to single riders.
    • No carts at all - walking only.
    • Raised cups or foam or PVC inserts to minimize contact with the flagstick/hole.
    • Plentiful hand sanitizer solutions.
    • Only members can play - course is closed to guests.
    • Contact reduced or eliminated - payments handled solely online or by phone.
    • Modifications to group size - twosomes only, threesomes only, family members only, etc.
    • Course is closed.

5 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Thank you.  How were you able to quarantine people?  Here, in the U.S., quarantining is sort of on a volunteer basis.

What Pretzel said is true.

We did have a lots of strong ways to isolate and quarantine people in the beginning but I think the people here understand that in order to quickly control  the virus we would have to sacrifice a little bit. And almost everyone here cooperated with the government willingly. I think it is way more difficult in the US especially with the situation right now. Luckily we are successful for now.

Ultimately we are still struggling with the economy because almost every countries out there still having troubles control the virus and in the world today we can not survive alone. But at least we don’t have to be worried about the virus AND the economy. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 minutes ago, Binh Nguyen said:

What Pretzel said is true.

We did have a lots of strong ways to isolate and quarantine people in the beginning but I think the people here understand that in order to quickly control  the virus we would have to sacrifice a little bit. And almost everyone here cooperated with the government willingly. I think it is way more difficult in the US especially with the situation right now. Luckily we are successful for now.

Ultimately we are still struggling with the economy because almost every countries out there still having troubles control the virus and in the world today we can not survive alone. But at least we don’t have to be worried about the virus AND the economy. 

Good for your country.  Here we have a lot of impatient and wishful-thinking people and many are out doing all the things they used to do... lots of close contact, reluctance to wear a mask.  And it's kicking us in the butt as there is a resurgence of the virus across our country.

• Upvote 1

Tale of two states:

Travelled to St. Louis, MO, last week to play golf with my son. No one wore masks other than if we went into the restaurant areas, where the servers were all wearing them. No one in the Pro shop or cart areas were masks being worn. Saturday, we noticed some of the pool noodles were gone from the cups. Sunday, all the noodles were gone, and people were pulling the pins. We did notice that a person was driving around and wiping (sanitizing) the pins, but of course, not after every foursome.

Today, back in Florida, we went to Disney, and played the Magnolia course. As we came to the security gate we were instructed that our temperatures would be taken before we could enter the premises. Luckily, we all passed.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

35 minutes ago, iacas said:

Nah.

You don't have to be 6' apart 100% of the time indoors, let alone outdoors. You can pass by someone — hell, people do this in grocery stores, etc. when they pass someone in an aisle — or even stand facing the same direction as someone (especially depending on the wind direction) five feet apart and be pretty much fine.

You're simply not gonna reach the needed viral load outdoors in a matter of seconds.

What "rising cases" are you referring to here, exactly?

Most of these cases on the PGA Tour aren't even necessarily occurring outdoors or at the PGA Tour site.

Nah. Look, by all means, if you want to wear a mask playing golf, please feel free. It's unnecessary, however, and I'm not going to do it. I'll have a mask with me if I need to go into the clubhouse or whatever, but I'm not going to feel bad about passing within 3' of someone as we fix ball marks or take our ball out of the cup or whatever. I'm not infecting anyone doing that now and then, and they are not infecting me.

See above, and honestly, stop saying it. This topic is also about the PGA Tour, not the people you see playing golf on your golf courses. So, it's off topic for this thread. And still not all that unsafe to be within 6' of someone momentarily.

Especially if you're not 70 years old. The whole point was to flatten the curve. We've done that.

We’ve done that in NY... the south right now is a MESS, they’re the biggest culprits of not wearing masks.  Anyway, back to topic, we get that passing by someone on a golf course doesn’t infect someone, even if that person coughed or something at that exact moment.  But as positive tests keep popping up, it just looks bad.  Certainly shouldn’t give other sports reason to think it wont turn into anything but a disaster.  The scariest thing is these players testing positive in the middle of tournaments not Tuesday before the tournament when they initially get tested, they’ve already been around a lot of people if they test positive on Friday or Sat or Sun

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, Chris223 said:

We’ve done that in NY... the south right now is a MESS, they’re the biggest culprits of not wearing masks.  Anyway, back to topic, we get that passing by someone on a golf course doesn’t infect someone, even if that person coughed or something at that exact moment.  But as positive tests keep popping up, it just looks bad.  Certainly shouldn’t give other sports reason to think it wont turn into anything but a disaster.  The scariest thing is these players testing positive in the middle of tournaments not Tuesday before the tournament when they initially get tested, they’ve already been around a lot of people if they test positive on Friday or Sat or Sun

I get that it's a "bad look"… to those who don't understand or appreciate science. 😛

Follow them to the grocery store and count the number of times they're within six feet of anyone. Or when they get takeout. Or whatever.

A few seconds within 6', meh. Not a big deal.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, Chris223 said:

The whole point was to flatten the curve. We've done that.

That is a local issue.  My wife works the COVID floor at her hospital.  They are in a spike atm.  The place is crazy.  Many of the other hospitals in the area are in worse shape, but not all.

I do not know what we are going to do here.  Places are open because legally they can be.  At a local course, Pompano Beach Municipal, there is a superb outdoor bar next to the clubhouse.  That place gets packed.  Some masks, but honestly...It's a bar.  That place has got to be a hotbed of infection.

I am striking the ball so well right now.  But I do not think I would complain if the state goes into deep freeze, golf included.

So by your logic we shouldn't even worry about social gathering on outdoors?  Parks and beaches shouldn't even close and as long as we are outside, we don't need to wear masks.

We saw rise in infections after the beaches were opened back up in Florida.  But let's ignore that and attribute all that infection to indoors and bars? 

Just because some studies promote it's safe when outdoors, you seem to have latched on to that and ignore any contradicting studies.

Clearly, it is expected that if you are downwind from someone even at 6' separation and that person is talking to you, the amount of viral particles you are exposed would be higher simply because you are downwind.  Imagine if you are less than a two or three feet from that person.  Now your chances of getting infected is even higher than if you are indoors.

Seems you are ignoring any contradicting facts and take what you believe to be true as a gospel.

Per CDC Guideline: 

coronavirus-1200x675.jpg

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a virus (more specifically, a coronavirus) identified as the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness first detected in Wuhan, China.

"Limit close contact with others outside your household in indoor and outdoor spaces."

Edited by Yukari
Added CDC guideline

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Looks like the US curve is peaking again.

Avg. new cases/day

3 weeks ago.....21,183.....this week 33.085

Texas, Florida, Calif , Georgia and Arizona has see huge spikes.

seamus-coronavirus-d3-us-chartt-20200312

View NPR's maps and graphics to see where COVID-19 is hitting hardest in the U.S., which state outbreaks are growing and which are leveling off.

Edited by Mr22putt

32 minutes ago, Yukari said:

So by your logic we shouldn't even worry about social gathering on outdoors?  Parks and beaches shouldn't even close and as long as we are outside, we don't need to wear masks.

No. And that’s illogical. I said nothing about crowded beaches being fine did I? Walking past someone on a golf course isn’t a high risk event of contracting the virus. Being on a tee box for a few minutes with someone closer to you than six for a flash isn’t risky.

Just stop it. I’ve been in medicine for 25 years. You don’t understand how viruses work. You’re Googling yourself crazy. Wearing a mask on the golf course is unnecessary especially for young healthy athletes who have tested negative and are asymptomatic. I’m out. Trust me ...I’ve had my earful of this crap. Wear your mask in your car. Wear it to bed. Do as you feel is best but quit expecting anyone else to take your precautions as imperative. 

• Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
40 minutes ago, Yukari said:

So by your logic we shouldn't even worry about social gathering on outdoors?

That's what you took from what I said?

C'mon man.

41 minutes ago, Yukari said:

But let's ignore that and attribute all that infection to indoors and bars? 

Not what I've said.

43 minutes ago, Yukari said:

Seems you are ignoring any contradicting facts and take what you believe to be true as a gospel.

No

43 minutes ago, Yukari said:

"Limit close contact with others outside your household in indoor and outdoor spaces."

Please tell me where it says "completely eliminate"?

Walking past someone outside is limiting contact. And outdoors it's not as important as indoors.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, Mr22putt said:

Looks like the US curve is peaking again.

AVG. NEW CASES/DAY
TOTALS SINCE JANUARY
STATE
3 weeks ago
2 weeks ago
Last week
This week
CASES
DEATHS
United States

March-April in area A ....13 tests were done with 2 positive.

May-June....487 tests done with 11 positive. 

Damn! From 2 to 11!! That’s a spike!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

14 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

March-April in area A ....13 tests were done with 2 positive.

May-June....487 tests done with 11 positive. 

Damn! From 2 to 11!! That’s a spike!

Unfortunately, nationwide that’s not true. We set a new record number of cases today, and our positive test rate is up 2 percentage points in a weeks. The increase is case is not just because we’re testing more. 

This isn’t true in Florida, either:

VE2Q3DRFK5FTDHNSTHMH2R3YZY.JPG

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Really??....seems like the curve is on an upward swing again in the US as per this article.

Avg. Covid cases per/week

3 weeks ago....21,183.....this week....33,035

seamus-coronavirus-d3-us-chartt-20200312

View NPR's maps and graphics to see where COVID-19 is hitting hardest in the U.S., which state outbreaks are growing and which are leveling off.

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Mr22putt said:

Really??....seems like the curve is on an upward swing again in the US as per this article.

Once again, hospitalizations are down. Yes there are more positives as we test more, but as younger people who don’t need hospitalized get it, the curve is still flatter. And the contact tracing is leading to higher counts, too. These are people that might previously have been asymptomatic and not been tested before.

From the article Dan just posted:

The spike in infections comes just weeks after the first protests over the killing of George Floyd drew crowds across Florida. The correlation between the two has not gone unnoticed, but experts say it’s unlikely that the protests had much effect.

“We think about person-hours: the number of people and the amount of time that they’ve been interacting,” said Thomas Hladish, an infectious disease researcher at the University of Florida.

If they’re not worried about the protests then passing by someone on a tee box isn’t in the top hundred ways to get COVID-19.

Let’s be logical and scientific here guys.

15 hours ago, DeadMan said:

We set a new record number of cases today, and our positive test rate is up 2 percentage points in a weeks.

Right. And the vast majority are young people who just want to know if they’re positive. Many places stopped reporting altogether. Most importantly, serious illnesses are down. Young people are getting tested because it’s an Instagram post. They’re coming in droves yet serious illnesses are fewer.

Hopefully that continues to be the case, then. I’m worried about it though, because hospitalizations and deaths have tended to lag a few weeks behind cases. So hopefully in 2-3 weeks, we can say that serious cases are not as frequent as they have been.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Hopefully that continues to be the case, then. I’m worried about it though, because hospitalizations and deaths have tended to lag a few weeks behind cases. So hopefully in 2-3 weeks, we can say that serious cases are not as frequent as they have been.

Because testing was slow and the average age was much older before.

• 2 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 1123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!