IGNORED

Is Golf Available Where You Live? (COVID-19 Edition)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

COVID-19 and Golf  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Are golf courses near you open for play? (Please change your vote as the situation changes.)

• Almost all are open.
    • Some golf courses are still open for play.
    • No golf courses near me are open for play due to COVID-19.
  2. 2. What modifications have golf courses that are open for play made? Select all that apply.

• Limited restaurant/pro shop/clubhouse access.
    • No indoor access at all.
    • Removed ball washers and/or rakes from the course.
    • Tee times spaced further apart.
    • Carts limited to single riders.
    • No carts at all - walking only.
    • Raised cups or foam or PVC inserts to minimize contact with the flagstick/hole.
    • Plentiful hand sanitizer solutions.
    • Only members can play - course is closed to guests.
    • Contact reduced or eliminated - payments handled solely online or by phone.
    • Modifications to group size - twosomes only, threesomes only, family members only, etc.
    • Course is closed.

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Fair enough.

Golf ≠ work and golf ≠ buying groceries. Nobody "needs" to play golf. Let's stop making kinda silly comparisons like that about relative safety while ignoring the "need" for the activity.

What resources? I played yesterday with my daughter - what resources did I take up?

Again, what suffering did I bring to anyone yesterday? I encountered zero other people. My wife, on her walk, passed 79 people.

Iacas if you are playing in compliance with the order NONE.  If ONLY you do it none. You and your daughter were safe and responsible.  If eveyone did that we'd be fine

But when people violate the guidance like they did in Chicago, we end up with groups. That allows for transmission. If the police are responding to a crowd they are exposed. If someone gets sick because they are infected in a crowd then they can put strain on the system, put health care workers at risk.

In this circumstance it is not for the individual to make that decision because the choice doesn't just affect 1 person. It only take a small number of people to make bad choices for all of us to be harmed. The chain of events can impact large numbers. 

Look at the Spring Break crowds in FL. They were at low risk, were within the guidance and their actions have led to infections that are now taken back to their home towns to inoculate a new area.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, criley4way said:

Iacas if you are playing in compliance with the order NONE.  If ONLY you do it none. You and your daughter were safe and responsible.  If eveyone did that we'd be fine

But when people violate the guidance like they did in Chicago, we end up with groups. That allows for transmission. If the police are responding to a crowd they are exposed. If someone gets sick because they are infected in a crowd then they can put strain on the system, put health care workers at risk.

In this circumstance it is not for the individual to make that decision because the choice doesn't just affect 1 person. It only take a small number of people to make bad choices for all of us to be harmed. The chain of events can impact large numbers. 

Look at the Spring Break crowds in FL. They were at low risk, were within the guidance and their actions have led to infections that are now taken back to their home towns to inoculate a new area.

While I agree with you general statement, I would have to disagree with the underlined portion. 

They were low risk group in that COVID-19 is not as fatal for that group compared to other groups.  But their infection/transmission rate is the same as anyone else.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

34 minutes ago, Yukari said:

While I agree with you general statement, I would have to disagree with the underlined portion. 

They were low risk group in that COVID-19 is not as fatal for that group compared to other groups.  But their infection/transmission rate is the same as anyone else.

You are totally right

In New York they had closed the State courses but reopened them a few days later with most of the restrictions mentioned above. Played yesterday, 9 holes, didn't play that well given the amount of time since I last played, short game and putting were the worst. County courses are now open, again with the same restrictions. It was good to get out though, nice day. I went as a single and was teamed with three good guys. One thing I like about golf is that I rarely encounter people who are not fun to play with, respectful of the game and each other. We kept our social distance, no hand shakes, etc.

• Like 1

We've still got 3-4 weeks of snow melt and drying out before we can even think of opening.  As president of my semi-private club, I'm going to do everything I can to let us open to members (at least) once we dry out enough to open.

John

Some of the courses in the front range have reopened this weekend.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I took a look today.  There's 14 public golf courses of decent quality within 40 minutes of me.  As of today 7 were open.  5 of 6 courses that have some sort of municipal or military connection are closed.  The one that is open I think has a private management company.  Therefore, 6 of 8 public but privately owned are open and seem to be quite busy.  All are doing things somewhat differently due to Covid-19, but not all to the extent that you read about.  There's at least one allowing the sharing of carts - I wish they wouldn't.  Some cups raised some not.  Any walking restrictions waived.  Unfortunately at least two of the open courses are really tough to walk.

Noticed the fairways yesterday just starting to green up, from the straw/wheat color we have during winter.  Hope the powers that be let us stay open.

So far only 6 positive cases in our 2 county area. I know that means more are out there but positive test results aren’t back yet, or the people haven’t been tested.  We’re lagging behind in time compared with the rest of the country, even behind the next town over. But it looks like people here are taking it seriously.  The streets are deserted.  Getting into my hospital takes more screening than getting into [redacted] when I was in the Air Force.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

I sent an email to Jeff Lesson who does a radio show on one of the biggest stations in Detroit.   He also has discounted golf he has negotiated for golfers from many Michigan golf courses.    

Here are his two emails to me:

Denny,

I appreciate your concerns and your business.

I will address all of these concerns with the courses as needed. If the season is severely curtailed or canceled ( which I do not expect), I certainly will encourage them to extend the valid dates through next year.

I will not let my customers get screwed over.

Ohio just allowed golf starting today. Hopeful Michigan does soon too.

Stay healthy!

Jeff L
Sent from my iPhone

Dennis,

If for whatever reason, the season has not started by July or so-and a course does not extend it to next year-I will personally give you the equivalent amount in golf for next year.

Hope this helps?
Sent from my iPhone

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I sort of skimmed through this so I'll just add what I'm seeing here in Massachusetts.

Laid off from my job of 18 years last fall I started working in the pro shop and will be teaching at the golf school that operates at the same club.  We are a public 18 hole course with range, restaurant, bar and patio.

The governor issued a stay at home advisory last Tuesday.  He was keeping parks open though.  He said " just be smart and don't play basketball or football". ... Friggin brilliant!  We closed the restaurant, bar and patio the weekend before.

The course and range closed on Tuesday.  The owner of the course talked to the board of health and town officials.  Where the order specified "brick and mortar" we moved our operation outside.  We abided by most of what was listed I the survey in this thread other than members only and group size.  We also wiped down every cart that came back in.  Staff wore latex gloves.

We reopened on Thursday afternoon since the town said we sounded ok.  We sold out Friday and Saturday tee times.  Friday afternoon the board of health and 3 cops came down ( and they were not social distancing) with a revised letter from the governor closing us down.  We did let everyone finish.  We told the cops they would have to go out and get everyone if they wanted them off now.

I can see how stupid people are though.  We did our part yet people come together in a car.  We give hem separate carts and a few people wanted to ride together and then questioned me on the one cart one person rule.  I told them that's the rule or you get no cart at all.  It's what we have to do to stay open...

This week I plan on going out myself.  I work there.   I'm safer out there than anywhere else.  Walking down the street there are others out there, going to the grocery store, liquor store.  There is no "need" to play but I'm no threat out there and nobody is a threat to me.

Edited by Typhoon92

Went to the course today to just putt and chip and just get some fresh air. There were two cop cars there turning people away. Thats the second time in a week I have seen the police used to shut down a golf course. Meanwhile, the jogging path that circles the golf course boundary fence was teeming with people walking and jogging, and the local park has people flying kites and hanging out as well. I just cannot understand my local government's emphasis on keeping people off the golf course. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

My course posted an update over the weekend that says NYS courses can stay open if they follow social distancing guidelines including 

• don't shake hands
  • 6' physical separation
  • no rakes or ball washers
  • don't share clubs/equipment
  • one cart per person

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Saturday, since all of the flagsticks have been removed, they put little surveyors flags in the center of the holes to try help you out a bit. Sunday the wind had blown all of them away.  The Florida Surgeon General put out a thing urging anyone over 65 to stay home, that's most of the outside staff at my course, but they are managing. No plans to close. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

Note: This thread is 1145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!