IGNORED

Is Golf Available Where You Live? (COVID-19 Edition)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

COVID-19 and Golf  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Are golf courses near you open for play? (Please change your vote as the situation changes.)

• Almost all are open.
    • Some golf courses are still open for play.
    • No golf courses near me are open for play due to COVID-19.
  2. 2. What modifications have golf courses that are open for play made? Select all that apply.

• Limited restaurant/pro shop/clubhouse access.
    • No indoor access at all.
    • Removed ball washers and/or rakes from the course.
    • Tee times spaced further apart.
    • Carts limited to single riders.
    • No carts at all - walking only.
    • Raised cups or foam or PVC inserts to minimize contact with the flagstick/hole.
    • Plentiful hand sanitizer solutions.
    • Only members can play - course is closed to guests.
    • Contact reduced or eliminated - payments handled solely online or by phone.
    • Modifications to group size - twosomes only, threesomes only, family members only, etc.
    • Course is closed.

There is a course near me, 9 hole muni, that apparently said they’ll be open (pay at a counter pro shop open) until someone personally comes to shut them down. I get why people think golf should be open, but golf is not essential, at all, if that’s how a state chooses to decide whats open or not. I mean parks are closed. If the state closes golf courses, just close. This course now is in worse light, to me, than before. It’s just a real a-hole move, coming from someone in the business. Idk if it risks is being able to open golf courses sooner than expected or not, but I’ll be livid if something like this does. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Surely we can all appreciate the optics of this from the standpoint of a non-golfer. We truly are perceived as old, rich, white men. It's a hell of a thing, in the eyes of some, that we should enjoy our favorite past time while the rest of them are locked in their house trying to figure out how to pay the rent. Also, no politician worth his salt fails to take advantage of optics.

It's all still very new. Expecting a lot of well thought out plans and procedures from our government is asking a lot and obviously there are much bigger issues to deal with. 

That said, I'm very glad to have some local courses available to me (even if they aren't the ones I belong to). O-H-I-O!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, phillyk said:

There is a course near me, 9 hole muni, that apparently said they’ll be open (pay at a counter pro shop open) until someone personally comes to shut them down. I get why people think golf should be open, but golf is not essential, at all, if that’s how a state chooses to decide whats open or not. I mean parks are closed. If the state closes golf courses, just close. This course now is in worse light, to me, than before. It’s just a real a-hole move, coming from someone in the business. Idk if it risks is being able to open golf courses sooner than expected or not, but I’ll be livid if something like this does. 

In Michigan, all the state parks are still open, and they're more crowded than a golf course would be.  Liquor stores are open, Starbucks is open, you can buy lotto tickets, etc.  There are plenty of businesses that are open that one could easily deem non-essential.  

Also I will add that "essential" may have different meanings to different folks.  I can assure you that those whose livelihood comes from a golf course, or any other business that could certainly safely operate while not putting anyone at risk (lawn service for instance - also deemed non-essential here), would deem their paycheck as "essential".  Well thought out, targeted policy would be more effective, and less damaging, but it requires some thought and planning.  Much easier to just throw the baby out with the bathwater...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, eich41 said:

I can assure you that those whose livelihood comes from a golf course, or any other business that could certainly safely operate while not putting anyone at risk (lawn service for instance - also deemed non-essential here), would deem their paycheck as "essential".

This is me, and no it is not essential. As a pro, I absolutely want to get back to the course, both play and work. It’s been my life for quite a while now. While yes, a lot of golfers would social distance. Many do not despite the measures we put it place. Make the sacrifice now so that we can get back to it sooner. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

7 minutes ago, phillyk said:

This is me, and no it is not essential. As a pro, I absolutely want to get back to the course, both play and work. It’s been my life for quite a while now. While yes, a lot of golfers would social distance. Many do not despite the measures we put it place. Make the sacrifice now so that we can get back to it sooner. 

I get it, but you're also in the position (financially) to take that stance.  Unfortunately for many, they aren't and they're facing the possibility of losing housing, food, businesses, etc.  It's not just golf, it's many different industries and businesses that could certainly operate safely, but are being forced to remain closed, with dire financial consequences for many.  You can't focus solely on one side of the equation here.  Overreaching policies will have consequences too, including economic and increased deaths from other underlying issues.  What our governor is doing in Michigan right now is the equivalent of asking someone "What's the best way to win a war with Iran with the least amount of soldiers dying?"  The answer would be to simply go drop a nuke and wipe the whole country off the map.  We wouldn't have a single casualty, but there are many (good) reasons why we don't do that.  At some point (soon) we need to start worrying about the collateral damage as well.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Same here. Aside from them cleaning the carts, none of those things happen when I play at my course.

Let's compare a golf course to a grocery store. The former is so much safer, cleaner and distancing. Both, of course, are essential services. A guy's got to eat and a guy's got to golf. (You too Flying Ace)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Surely we can all appreciate the optics of this from the standpoint of a non-golfer. We truly are perceived as old, rich, white men. It's a hell of a thing, in the eyes of some, that we should enjoy our favorite past time while the rest of them are locked in their house trying to figure out how to pay the rent. Also, no politician worth his salt fails to take advantage of optics.

It's all still very new. Expecting a lot of well thought out plans and procedures from our government is asking a lot and obviously there are much bigger issues to deal with. 

I think this nails it, for better or for worse. Plus, think about the perception of the idiots who don't follow social distancing. You have these folks who are so privileged that they are going out to play an elitist sport, and they're not even following the basic rules we've set out. It's not unlike the rich people still flying around on private jets or retreating to their vacation homes. Politically, it's an easy target.

• Like 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

6 minutes ago, eich41 said:

I get it, but you're also in the position (financially) to take that stance.  Unfortunately for many, they aren't and they're facing the possibility of losing housing, food, businesses, etc.  It's not just golf, it's many different industries and businesses that could certainly operate safely, but are being forced to remain closed, with dire financial consequences for many.  You can't focus solely on one side of the equation here.  Overreaching policies will have consequences too, including economic and increased deaths from other underlying issues.  What our governor is doing in Michigan right now is the equivalent of asking someone "What's the best way to win a war with Iran with the least amount of soldiers dying?"  The answer would be to simply go drop a nuke and wipe the whole country off the map.  We wouldn't have a single casualty, but there are many (good) reasons why we don't do that.  At some point (soon) we need to start worrying about the collateral damage as well.  

The main problem has always been those of us who follow the CDC guidelines versus those who do not. More Policies are in place to try and limit those who don’t care to follow the guidelines. Eventually businesses need to open, absolutely. WA we may be able to do that soon as our exp curve is turning to the log curve.

Its kind of like the members that always drive out in the FW when we are cart path only. They say, well we know where the wet spots are. I’m like yeah, because you just found them by going out and leaving tire tracks and depressions everywhere. This situation is tough on everyone and we all have our own opinions on what is best. Not sure that there is a right and wrong answer. 

• Like 2

Philip Kohnken, PGA

25 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Let's compare a golf course to a grocery store. The former is so much safer, cleaner and distancing. Both, of course, are essential services. A guy's got to eat and a guy's got to golf. (You too Flying Ace)

I don’t think there’s any reason to compare a grocery store to a golf course. The point is a golf course is by far a safer activity than grocery shopping regardless of how meaningless or non-essential it is. But like @phillyk said....there’s always those types that spoil it for everyone else....

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I don’t think there’s any reason to compare a grocery store to a golf course. The point is a golf course is by far a safer activity than grocery shopping regardless of how meaningless or non-essential it is. But like @phillyk said....there’s always those types that spoil it for everyone else....

I am grocery shopping tomorrow and am looking upon it with dread. Taking a list, shopping for 2 weeks, getting the hell out of there quickly.

18 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I think this nails it, for better or for worse. Plus, think about the perception of the idiots who don't follow social distancing. You have these folks who are so privileged that they are going out to play an elitist sport, and they're not even following the basic rules we've set out. It's not unlike the rich people still flying around on private jets or retreating to their vacation homes. Politically, it's an easy target.

Speaking of optics, just imagine if the President went down to Mar-a-Lago these days.  I bet he's feeling cooped up.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Speaking of optics, just imagine if the President went down to Mar-a-Lago these days.  I bet he's feeling cooped up.

Beyond the optics, he shouldn't be travelling right now unless it's absolutely essential. Think of all the people that have to go with the President when he travels. Secret Service, Air Force staff, White House staff, reporters, etc. A Presidential trip could be an easy way for the virus to spread massively.

-- Daniel

17 hours ago, iacas said:

I think the thinking is if you close those stores grocery stores will be more crowded.

Shoot I forgot to provide perspective as I forgot beer is sold in grocery stores in the States.

Only Quebec really has widespread liquor sales in grocery and gas stations in Canada. 

In my 2 main provinces of residence (Manitoba and SK) liquor and cannabis stores are separate from grocery stores.

I mean yeah I'm guilty of buying beer too for my quarantine life, but I've been in a liquor store and seen groups of 20 year olds who dont look related buying cases of beer for house parties. I know tickets can be given out for house parties but someone has to care enough to rat out a party.

I just think liquor should be non essential as it's a good that still encourages social gatherings.

32 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

I just think liquor should be non essential as it's a good that still encourages social gatherings.

Liquor stores are essential. Sadly, many alcoholics cannot stop drinking without significant health problems. If you close liquor stores, you would have a surge of alcoholics requiring treatment for alcohol withdrawal. You don't want to using medical resources if at all possible right now.

Also, if you announce a closure, people will line to get alcohol before stores close. You don't want that right now, either. This exact thing played out in Denver, and they quickly reversed course so that thousands of people wouldn't go to liquor stores at one time.

-- Daniel

47 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Liquor stores are essential. Sadly, many alcoholics cannot stop drinking without significant health problems. If you close liquor stores, you would have a surge of alcoholics requiring treatment for alcohol withdrawal. You don't want to using medical resources if at all possible right now.

Very true. I have a family member who almost died twice now from alcohol detox. They just got home from a 10 week rehab program. Hopefully this is the last time.

- Shane

Note: This thread is 1150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!