IGNORED

Is Golf Available Where You Live? (COVID-19 Edition)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

COVID-19 and Golf  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Are golf courses near you open for play? (Please change your vote as the situation changes.)

• Almost all are open.
    • Some golf courses are still open for play.
    • No golf courses near me are open for play due to COVID-19.
  2. 2. What modifications have golf courses that are open for play made? Select all that apply.

• Limited restaurant/pro shop/clubhouse access.
    • No indoor access at all.
    • Removed ball washers and/or rakes from the course.
    • Tee times spaced further apart.
    • Carts limited to single riders.
    • No carts at all - walking only.
    • Raised cups or foam or PVC inserts to minimize contact with the flagstick/hole.
    • Plentiful hand sanitizer solutions.
    • Only members can play - course is closed to guests.
    • Contact reduced or eliminated - payments handled solely online or by phone.
    • Modifications to group size - twosomes only, threesomes only, family members only, etc.
    • Course is closed.

8 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Golf courses are closed in Washington state.  Ugggh!  I just listened to an interview with Governor Inslee on KJR Sports radio.  They really grilled him on when he would open up golf courses. Turns out he is a golfer himself but his wife usually beats him.  His Father-in-Law is a former club pro. But Inslee usually beats his wife on the basketball court when playing HORSE.  You can tell he understands our angst.  I'm betting courses will be open between May 5 and May 18.  With numerous restrictions, of course.  Time for me to wash my clubs and sharpen the grooves of my wedges...

I think he’ll open outdoor recreation May 5 regardless of an extension to a stay home.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, phillyk said:

I think he’ll open outdoor recreation May 5 regardless of an extension to a stay home.

I got the feeling he's hedging his bets.  Waiting for a downward trend in the curve rather than the plateau we have now.  But I would love for it to be May 5th.  Golf and a margarita afterwards!

P.S. - I plan to go online April 29 and reserve a tee time, a week in advance, to play Shuksan Golf Course with (well-distanced) buds.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

@Double Mocha Man and @phillyk......courses are open here in Vancouver....oh wait......ya can't cross the border.

Got a tee time this Mon....played last Wed......about 40% of the courses are now open...though some courses are price gouging.....it's very difficult to find tee times.

Hope you guys are playing golf soon.

I hope I’m wrong.  But I’m not very optimistic about inslee.  Here on the east side it’s pretty much just people getting stir crazy and really pissed that they can’t social distance while doing outdoor activities.  And yet everyone can go to Lowe’s and be jammed against each other and stuff like that.  It’s frankly getting dumb 

14 minutes ago, oregongolfguy said:

I hope I’m wrong.  But I’m not very optimistic about inslee.  Here on the east side it’s pretty much just people getting stir crazy and really pissed that they can’t social distance while doing outdoor activities.  And yet everyone can go to Lowe’s and be jammed against each other and stuff like that.  It’s frankly getting dumb 

Take a picture of the crowded aisles at Lowe's and send it to Governor Inslee.  I'll send him a picture of a lone guy on the golf course at twilight...

3 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Take a picture of the crowded aisles at Lowe's and send it to Governor Inslee.  I'll send him a picture of a lone guy on the golf course at twilight...

It’s a good idea.  I have a pic of the checkout line.  But yeah. It was crazy.  

C085483D-02DA-4D77-B85D-6C9055BC7D08.jpeg

Just now, Papa Steve 55 said:

Same silliness here. They closed the beaches, which are 100 yards wide, but the the 4' wide sidewalks are open. 

They should make the beaches, like the aisles in the grocery stores, one way.  That way you'd end up in Myrtle Beach in a couple of weeks...

7 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Golf courses are closed in Washington state.  Ugggh!  I just listened to an interview with Governor Inslee on KJR Sports radio.  They really grilled him on when he would open up golf courses. Turns out he is a golfer himself but his wife usually beats him.  His Father-in-Law is a former club pro. But Inslee usually beats his wife on the basketball court when playing HORSE.  You can tell he understands our angst.  I'm betting courses will be open between May 5 and May 18.  With numerous restrictions, of course.  Time for me to wash my clubs and sharpen the grooves of my wedges...

Expect to read somewhere that Inslee and his wife beat each other.

Mask

Apparently private golf courses in NY can open for play. Basically any course that does not allow for onsite transactions or employees. Grounds keepers can work now but only security staff can work. Again no green fee transactions on site. 

I can’t say this enough Governor Cuomo is a moron. This just shows how stupid his decision or should I say half assed decision he made. 

NY is by far the worst hit. Makes you wonder about its lack of leaders. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Golf Saskatchewan posted on FB about their annual meeting today. I guess they had a government official there and response was pretty good based on what they proposed combined with how well the province is doing handling the virus.

It's still not warm enough to play but I think they are optimistic courses will be open when the weather actually permits, with stipulations.

18 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Take this opportunity to balance your golf balls using the homemade centrifuge you built in your idle time.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

18 hours ago, oregongolfguy said:

We went to Lowe's yesterday for some stuff. The kid who helped us said people are going to the store and not buying anything, they told him that they just wanted to get out of the house. 

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, krupa said:

We went to Lowe's yesterday for some stuff. The kid who helped us said people are going to the store and not buying anything, they told him that they just wanted to get out of the house. 

Why the hell would they go to a crowded STORE to do that?

If we all did the right, responsible things, we'd be in a better place and could begin to transition back to "normalcy" sooner.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

30 minutes ago, krupa said:

Last week before the limit of people in stores, my friend's daughter that works at Home Depot said people were bringing their entire families there just for a social outing.   ☹️

Edited by dennyjones

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

43 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Last week before the limit of people in stores, my friend's daughter that works at Home Depot said people were bringing their entire families there just for a social outing.   ☹️

Like teenagers at the mall. I'll never understand that.  When I need something I go shop for it and then get the hell out of there. With an aisle by aisle grocery shopping list (with an app) I can wrap things up in under 18 minutes.  I do not want to spend my life in retail spaces.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

Note: This thread is 1151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!