iacas

Is Golf Available Where You Live? (COVID-19 Edition)

COVID-19 and Golf  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Are golf courses near you open for play? (Please change your vote as the situation changes.)

• Almost all are open.
    • Some golf courses are still open for play.
    • No golf courses near me are open for play due to COVID-19.
  2. 2. What modifications have golf courses that are open for play made? Select all that apply.

• Limited restaurant/pro shop/clubhouse access.
    • No indoor access at all.
    • Removed ball washers and/or rakes from the course.
    • Tee times spaced further apart.
    • Carts limited to single riders.
    • No carts at all - walking only.
    • Raised cups or foam or PVC inserts to minimize contact with the flagstick/hole.
    • Plentiful hand sanitizer solutions.
    • Only members can play - course is closed to guests.
    • Contact reduced or eliminated - payments handled solely online or by phone.
    • Modifications to group size - twosomes only, threesomes only, family members only, etc.
    • Course is closed.

833 posts / 28426 viewsLast Reply

22 hours ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

The members got together and bought these. We were all sick of was it in or not and the course had no interest and any expenditures out of the norm. We rotate the wire so its behind the direction of the putt. I hit about 25 putts at the wire from 4', you have to hit it pretty hard to to have the putt knocked away, and noway to tell if the flag stick could have caused it. Unscientific I know,  But it feels like it will make very little difference on 99% of the shots. The last guy to hole out moves the wire to face the back of the green, hopefully minimizing any effect on a good approach shot. If you lift it slowly the ball will stay on the base, most of us seem to do what you are seeing here, popping it up and letting the ball fall to the green, then doing a putter scoop.

EZ Lift.jpg

LOL, our course bought a couple of pool noodles and cut off maybe a few inches at a time and placed these in the cup. The ball is super easy to pick up out of the cup.image.jpeg.ea48bbbc24929afa56da157b0a710627.jpeg

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 hours ago, Carl3 said:

LOL, our course bought a couple of pool noodles and cut off maybe a few inches at a time and placed these in the cup. The ball is super easy to pick up out of the cup.image.jpeg.ea48bbbc24929afa56da157b0a710627.jpeg

From my May 18 Post:

pool noodle in cup.jpg

As to the question at hand, "Is Golf Available Where You Live?" from a course operator's point of view, my GM said this to me on March 24:

We are closed as of today.

(Course Superintendant) and I are the only ones left and we are tasked with keeping the golf course alive until we re-open. 

This really sucks but I’m glad to still have a job. I just feel really bad for everyone that had to be laid off. Are you still in FL?

It has since reopened, but is not very busy.

This is the first time in 13 years that I am not back working by March or April.  So, not working and not golfing.

By Associated Press, Wire Service ContentMay 23, 2020, at 3:22 PM

Western Montana Virus Outbreak Tied to Luxury Golf Club

An outbreak of COVID-19 in western Montana is tied to an exclusive golf and country club developed by financial executive Charles Schwab.

- - - - - -KATU News requested and received records from Portland's Parks & Recreation Department and discovered that from March 1 through April 6, 2019, there were 23,089 rounds of golf played at its five municipal courses. During that same time period this year, from March 1 through April 6, 2020, Portland Parks Golf saw an increase of 15% in golf rounds - 26,554 rounds of golf were played as the coronavirus outbreak spread in the Pacific Northwest.

e1b6b6c5-8156-4d07-b9f2-4ad0baf459ec-lar

Golfers are still swinging away at Portland's five city-owned and operated courses during the coronavirus pandemic, with more rounds being played compared to this time period last year, even as orders from the governor...
Edited by Cartboy