Jump to content
iacas

Is Golf Available Where You Live? (COVID-19 Edition)

COVID-19 and Golf  

101 members have voted

  1. 1. Are golf courses near you open for play? (Please change your vote as the situation changes.)

    • Almost all are open.
      23
    • Some golf courses are still open for play.
      32
    • No golf courses near me are open for play due to COVID-19.
      46
  2. 2. What modifications have golf courses that are open for play made? Select all that apply.

    • Limited restaurant/pro shop/clubhouse access.
      40
    • No indoor access at all.
      22
    • Removed ball washers and/or rakes from the course.
      44
    • Tee times spaced further apart.
      19
    • Carts limited to single riders.
      32
    • No carts at all - walking only.
      13
    • Raised cups or foam or PVC inserts to minimize contact with the flagstick/hole.
      43
    • Plentiful hand sanitizer solutions.
      11
    • Only members can play - course is closed to guests.
      5
    • Contact reduced or eliminated - payments handled solely online or by phone.
      19
    • Modifications to group size - twosomes only, threesomes only, family members only, etc.
      3
    • Course is closed.
      49


193 posts / 5003 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Interesting that the county run courses are open. Some of the public but privately run courses aren't. I really don't understand why. Oh, I know... the county washes and cleans the carts inside and out after each use as a routine and soap kills the virus. Some of these other courses just pick up the trash, clean the spills, give them a wipe down and put them back in service. 

Me? I prefer to walk. So county course it is. Plus they have a better senior discount. $16 for 9 holes. I can pay on line. I can check in. I don't even need a scorecard. I have my Garmin G80. So I just need to sanitize my hands after walking out of the pro shop and I'm good.

Golf is a good outlet. The behavior I've seen on the course has been good. People are keeping distance and taking things seriously. At least they're doing it well here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My son walked 9 holes with a friend here in southern Ohio today. He said they only saw one other group when they teed off around noon.  Must be something about most of still having to go to work.  But he said there were several others there when they finished up. He shot a 39 which is tied for his second best ever 9 hole score.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, iacas said:

With what precautions?

I feel like Florida is handling this pretty badly.

Why?  What’s your basis for that?

Palm Beach county just closed all their courses.

My club in Seminole remains open.  Standard procedures that everyone else seems to be taking continue to be in place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

42 minutes ago, iacas said:

Uhm… pretty obvious, really. Heck, I could say "spring break" and "open beaches" and rest my case.

Spring break was a mess.  No doubt about that.

I disagree about the beaches completely, as do most people. Like the golf courses, Beaches are wide open, outdoors, with plenty of room for social distancing.

Beaches are wide open, outdoors, with plenty of room for social distancing.

All you have to do is look at actual per capital cases given the population, as the third most populous state in the country, with one of the most elderly populations, to realize that Florida is doing a better job than many states.

Including your own, given that Florida is 65% more populated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Spring break was a mess.  No doubt about that.

I disagree about the beaches completely, as do most people. Like the golf courses, Beaches are wide open, outdoors, with plenty of room for social distancing.

The beaches were open during spring break. That's the whole point. Florida prioritized making a few extra bucks from spring breakers and from allowing y'all to go play pool for another few days or a week or so, and then sent all those possibly infected spring breakers back to live with their families and back to the other states where they came from. It was irresponsible.

And cut it with the PA bullshit. Most of the PA stuff is Philadelphia, which is just getting the NYC stuff. PA has been one of the more aggressively controlling states in all of this. We also don't know testing rates or anything else, either. WV had "no confirmed cases" until a few days ago… because they hadn't tested anybody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, iacas said:

The beaches were open during spring break. That's the whole point. Florida prioritized making a few extra bucks from spring breakers and from allowing y'all to go play pool for another few days or a week or so, and then sent all those possibly infected spring breakers back to live with their families and back to the other states where they came from. It was irresponsible.

And cut it with the PA bullshit. Most of the PA stuff is Philadelphia, which is just getting the NYC stuff. PA has been one of the more aggressively controlling states in all of this.

I didn’t mean to beat up Pennsylvania specifically. Just to point out that Florida is actually doing very well given its population. I agree spring break was a mess. But closing all the beaches isn’t any better of an answer than closing all the golf courses.  
 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Spring break was a mess.  No doubt about that.

I disagree about the beaches completely, as do most people. Like the golf courses, Beaches are wide open, outdoors, with plenty of room for social distancing.

Beaches are wide open, outdoors, with plenty of room for social distancing.

All you have to do is look at actual per capital cases given the population, as the third most populous state in the country, with one of the most elderly populations, to realize that Florida is doing a better job than many states.
Including your own, given that Florida is 65% more populated...

 

C32B6F21-D4A5-4355-B03D-E8F638D9F7D2.jpeg

Every bar, nightclub is closed, restaurants are take out only, some cities have lock downs starting. Where I live all public beach parking is closed. Cops are enforcing social distancing on the beaches and no groups larger than 10.  The spring break crowd that was here is a good example of people not taking the virus seriously and cities have taken measures to control that. Orlando just started free drive up testing today so I am sure our number of cases will begin to climb, hopefully not, but with lack of large scale testing I see it happening over the next few days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, David in FL said:

I didn’t mean to beat up Pennsylvania specifically. Just to point out that Florida is actually doing very well given its population. I agree spring break was a mess. But closing all the beaches isn’t any better of an answer than closing all the golf courses.

Beaches during spring break are nothing at all like golf courses.

And we don't really know how well FL is doing, because again, we don't know how many tests are being administered, etc. Like I said, WV was doing great… except they hadn't tested anyone.

I'm glad FL is catching up, but they already did a lot of damage sending a bunch of possibly infected kids back to almost every other state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, iacas said:

but they already did a lot of damage sending a bunch of possibly infected kids back to almost every other state.

It was just as irresponsible for these kids to come and act in such a way. It’s not like Florida mandated kids/people to come here from every other state. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

It was just as irresponsible for these kids to come and act in such a way. It’s not like Florida mandated kids/people to come here from every other state. 

Sure. But the state let them. And kept beaches open. And airports. Hotels. Bars.

That’s my point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

It was just as irresponsible for these kids to come and act in such a way. It’s not like Florida mandated kids/people to come here from every other state. 

I think the key word in this is kids. They may not understand what they did, and what they did was extremely irresponsible. That's what kids do (irresponsible expletive), when they don't have proper education on a subject. We let toddlers roam and fall down and hurt themselves so they learn risk/reward scenarios. In that case, the risk is almost entirely their own detriment whereas the spring breakers are posing a serious risk to others. That is why something should have been done in my eyes. They were only thinking about their own satisfaction, not the well-being of others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Our Governor is having a town hall meeting today at 7.   I asked specifically about opening golf courses.    The local CC just posted they are open to walking only but no mention of anything different on the course setup.  

Edited by dennyjones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Our Governor is having a town hall meeting today at 7.   I asked specifically about opening golf courses.    The local CC just posted they are open to walking only but no mention of anything different on the course setup.  

Have you been able to play? You may have said at one point but just curious if the courses there or anywhere is offering any type of bargain or special rate to attract folks since they might be losing money elsewhere like the grill or cart fees. Nothing like that at my course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

India is in the middle of a nation-wide three week quarantine till 15 April.  Getting out of the neighbourhood to get groceries is difficult enough.  Fortunate enough to be able to work from home and manage some groceries for food.  Everything else is a dream now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, snapfade said:

Have you been able to play? You may have said at one point but just curious if the courses there or anywhere is offering any type of bargain or special rate to attract folks since they might be losing money elsewhere like the grill or cart fees. Nothing like that at my course. 

I played 2 weeks ago when we had good weather.    The last two days I've been over to the elementary school behind my house and practiced with my wedges.    I'm hopeful that the golf courses will be open soon.   The courses aren't offering any type of discount.   When the weather breaks, the courses will be full w/o any discounts.  Golf around here is very cheap compared to other places, usually $20-$30.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

38 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I played 2 weeks ago when we had good weather.    The last two days I've been over to the elementary school behind my house and practiced with my wedges.    I'm hopeful that the golf courses will be open soon.   The courses aren't offering any type of discount.   When the weather breaks, the courses will be full w/o any discounts.  Golf around here is very cheap compared to other places, usually $20-$30.  

Yeah, they will probably make the money back pretty quickly if the weather cooperates. I'm sure it will be slammed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...