Vinsk

Chamblee Getting Some Heat for "Bitch-Slapped" Comment

42 posts / 987 viewsLast Reply

GettyImages-185333471.jpg

Brandel Chamblee called out specific players and instructors, and used some inappropriate language, in his latest...

What’s your take TST?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

32 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Brandel Chamblee called out specific players and instructors, and used some inappropriate language, in his latest...

What’s your take TST?

I think that he has the credentials to speak to the subject. I don't think he has to spend hours on the range and then run his comments by a swing coach before he goes on air, kind of like asking permission to say something critical. I don't think Michael Breed's comments were necessary. So only Tiger, Jack, Johnny or some other exceptional golfer can have a critical opinion otherwise they are jealous?

Is there a better theory as to why some of these guys have failed to perform on a consistent basis. I had one about early success and the corroding effects of wealth, but got blasted on here for that. LOL.

Plus I love the guy's hair and I think he dresses better than most of the other commentators.

Edited by Carl3

40 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

What’s your take TST?

Open mouth, insert foot.

Without delving into the specifics of his swing philosophy and what exactly he dislikes about certain teachers, I think his idea that YouTube or social media is a form of peer review process is garbage.

Sure, it can make it easier for others to critique people’s work, but social media also seems to create cult-like hive mentalities where people adhere absolutely to anything someone they follow puts out and will even defend them even when they’re wrong.

The fitness industry on social media is a perfect example of that. There are lots of personalities that are discredited time and time again by their peers, but a large population of their followers aren’t ever going to listen to the criticism.

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Sure, it can make it easier for others to critique people’s work, but social media also seems to create cult-like hive mentalities where people adhere absolutely to anything someone they follow puts out and will even defend them even when they’re wrong.

I think this is a problem too. It’s where facts are ignored that this hive mentality creates a negative experience altogether. If only social media as it pertains to the golf swing was more of a learning society where everyone can learn the facts and not go by personalities or ‘like’ factors. I think BC knows more about the golf swing than Harmon suggests. But BC probably deserves the best his getting.

I don’t thinks it’s that big of a deal. He’s very good at what he does and it shows by us talking about it. He is in the ratings business. I agree that it’s not all jealousy or sour grapes. Some of it could be but I don’t think the majority is. There is a reason most great players aren’t good coaches. I think golf is an incredibly hard sport and there are a long list of reasons besides the coach that can cause issues no matter how many times a player has been told by the coach not to do something or do it a different way.  Hey Carl we should do a topic on why some guys aren’t as consistent as others. I think it would be interesting to see what people think causes it. 

Wish you could have posted a link so I could have heard his comments. 

As far as criticizing instructors goes, just check out the "Playing from a position", a la Jim Venetos thread on this very page! The guy is full of crap, and should be called out!

8 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Wish you could have posted a link so I could have heard his comments. 

Ummm, Google it? Or click the link in the first post, and you'll find links to the article.

I think the initial uproar was regarding his use of the term "bitch slap". Had he not used that phrase I don't think we'd be hearing all that much about it.

Anyways, I'm sure there are many who are ranked in the top 50 who shouldn't be.

13 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I think the initial uproar was regarding his use of the term "bitch slap". Had he not used that phrase I don't think we'd be hearing all that much about it.

Anyways, I'm sure there are many who are ranked in the top 50 who shouldn't be.

Possibly. But he still set a negative tone on instructors that was unfair. 

38 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Possibly. But he still set a negative tone on instructors that was unfair. 

I haven't read it fully yet, but I don't think that's necessarily the case.

I think he was talking about the "old" instructors who have just taught the same thing for the past 30 years or whatever.

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

I haven't read it fully yet, but I don't think that's necessarily the case.

I think he was talking about the "old" instructors who have just taught the same thing for the past 30 years or whatever.

He ( BC) was critical on the coaching of McCormick to Spieth. I think that’s what got the likes of Butch and Breed upset with him.

For a person who makes their living with words, "bitch slap" is a ridiculously stupid thing to say.

I agree with @billchao that there is a lot of crap on social media as well. If BC's argument really worked, we wouldn't have so many conspiracy theories flying around.

3 minutes ago, krupa said:

For a person who makes their living with words, "bitch slap" is a ridiculously stupid thing to say.

And yet so perfect.

Thing is, they don’t know they’ve been slapped. So he was wrong there.

Just now, krupa said:

I agree with @billchao that there is a lot of crap on social media as well. If BC's argument really worked, we wouldn't have so many conspiracy theories flying around.

I agree with his term being in poor taste. But let’s be honest and know that it wasn’t that term that got Breed all worked up. 

24 minutes ago, iacas said:

And yet so perfect.

Thing is, they don’t know they’ve been slapped. So he was wrong there.

24 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I agree with his term being in poor taste. But let’s be honest and know that it wasn’t that term that got Breed all worked up. 

Sorry, I thought the link was about his original comments, not the push back... shouldn't be trying to read this and work at the same time. Breed definitely wasn't worked up just by the words. 

53 minutes ago, krupa said:

Sorry, I thought the link was about his original comments, not the push back... shouldn't be trying to read this and work at the same time. Breed definitely wasn't worked up just by the words. 

My original title didn’t include the ‘ bitch slap’ part...It was edited...which is fine. But I was more referring to heat both from poor word usage to pissing off some instructors.

4 hours ago, Vinsk said:

But let’s be honest and know that it wasn’t that term that got Breed all worked up. 

I agree. I don’t like Breed’s quote from the article:

"What you're really hearing is a guy who was frustrated he didn't perform at the level he thought he should have performed at," said Breed. "And it has to be somebody's fault. It can't be mine, so it has to be a coach or a teacher. Maybe you just weren't that good."

It reeks of that old guard type of attitude. By that logic, very few people in the world would be qualified to criticize what PGA Tour instructors are doing