Jump to content
IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic


Recommended Posts

  • Administrator
14 minutes ago, mattm16 said:

However, we will never know if all of them got the vaccine to enter the lottery, unless they are asked.

Yes, we can. And no, not ALL of them got it to enter the lottery. Some got it because they were going to get it anyway.

14 minutes ago, mattm16 said:

Maybe the week before was just lower, who knows? Also, I'm assuming these numbers included the 2nd dose, so maybe the numbers were higher due to that (first dose people, and the time for the 2nd dose people).

Ummm, no.

This stuff is pretty clear.

  • Some people who were already scheduled got the vaccines in that week with the surge.
  • Some people who were planning to get it got it earlier than they had planned to get it.
  • Some people who were not planning to ever get it got it that week.

They're all true.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am happy that everything is trending in the right direction. Virus going down, restrictions easing, etc. Seems we are headed for an "all clear" around July 1. 

In the meantime, things are a bit all over the place. The "vaccine or mask" rule is largely unenforceable and creates a headache for businesses. School and kids activities (at least in Michigan) are still a mess of confusion. 

We can feel the light at the end of the tunnel, but it doesn't feel like anyone is really breathing a sigh of relief yet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have some concerns about this fall and how the number of cases workout. I am confident in the vaccine, and if a high percentage gets the vaccine we wouldn't have that much of a problem this fall. Do we live in a nation too many "softies" with unfounded fear of the vaccine? Probably so. Compare today's generational character to that of what is considered the greatest generation of all during the World War II era, and I think it is an unequivocal character. Self-sacrificing versus selfish. Brave vs cowardly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
29 minutes ago, Braivo said:

I am happy that everything is trending in the right direction. Virus going down, restrictions easing, etc. Seems we are headed for an "all clear" around July 1. 

Its a strategic move to open things up at summer time. I still would consider it not "All Clear" until we hit near thanksgiving and see if we really don't see a resurgence in the virus. 

I still think we are being too optimistic.

29 minutes ago, Braivo said:

In the meantime, things are a bit all over the place. The "vaccine or mask" rule is largely unenforceable and creates a headache for businesses. 

Not really. Businesses have the right to deny entry to those who don't wear masks. Just like if you if they have a sign saying, "No Shirt No Shoes No Service". 

Honestly, people made to big of a deal out of wearing a mask. It is absolutely the least annoying thing about the whole COVID thing. Like, complaining about it would make me feel like a 5 year old throwing a tantrum. I exclude those who have to wear it all day because they are in a service industry, my opinion might be different at that point. Just taking the position of a person who works from home, and wears it for like less than 15 minutes at a time every few days. Not that big of a deal for me. 

29 minutes ago, Braivo said:

We can feel the light at the end of the tunnel, but it doesn't feel like anyone is really breathing a sigh of relief yet. 

We shouldn't. Viruses don't give a damn about your feelings about the situation. Hey, I am an engineer, we are conservative by nature. Over design, design for safety in mind, when in doubt just increase the safety factor. 

15 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

Do we live in a nation too many "softies" with unfounded fear of the vaccine? Probably so. Compare today's generational character to that of what is considered the greatest generation of all during the World War II era, and I think it is an unequivocal character. Self-sacrificing versus selfish. Brave vs cowardly. 

Can't compare previous generations to what is going on now. The internet has screwed up our entire sense making institutions. I can understand the whole fear of the unknown. Especially when the internet promotes the BS it does. There is way more BS out there than every news source backing science. I wouldn't claim its cowardly. Ignorance makes it easier to be brave. 

Edited by saevel25
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Not really. Businesses have the right to deny entry to those who don't wear masks. Just like if you if they have a sign saying, "No Shirt No Shoes No Service". 

This was easier with the mask mandates because there were only a few people walking in without masks. Now with a high percentage of people walking into places without a mask on, having someone at the door enforcing it becomes much more burdensome. I watched some local businesses give up after a few days and just stop enforcing it. They said there were simply too many people coming in without them to keep up. Some big chains like Kroger even changed course after a few days of trying to enforce. 

20 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Honestly, people made to big of a deal out of wearing a mask. It is absolutely the least annoying thing about the whole COVID thing. Like, complaining about it would make me feel like a 5 year old throwing a tantrum. I exclude those who have to wear it all day because they are in a service industry, my opinion might be different at that point. Just taking the position of a person who works from home, and wears it for like less than 15 minutes at a time every few days. Not that big of a deal for me. 

I respect your opinion. Personally, I hate masks and will be glad to see them go. 

I am fully vaccinated and carry a mask in my pocket. I will put it on if asked (so far I have not been asked even once in almost two weeks). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, Braivo said:

This was easier with the mask mandates because there were only a few people walking in without masks. Now with a high percentage of people walking into places without a mask on, having someone at the door enforcing it becomes much more burdensome.

If you live near highly populated areas in Ohio, I don't see this happening. I would say above 95% of people wear masks into restaurants, grocery stores, hardware stores, etc...

If you go out into the rural areas, then I see more of people not caring as much. 

1 minute ago, Braivo said:

They said there were simply too many people coming in without them to keep up. Some big chains like Kroger even changed course after a few days of trying to enforce. 

I get it, if a lot of people rush a store, there is nothing a store can do but call the police and say they are trespassing. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

f you live near highly populated areas in Ohio, I don't see this happening. I would say above 95% of people wear masks into restaurants, grocery stores, hardware stores, etc...

If you go out into the rural areas, then I see more of people not caring as much. 

I can only speak to where I am in Michigan, northern suburb of Detroit, but once our Gov. said masks optional if you have been vaccinated the percentage wearing masks dropped significantly.  I would guess less than half are wearing a mask, maybe even fewer.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

“Masks can create a false sense of security, leading people to neglect measures like hand hygiene and physical distancing,” Dr. Tedros Adhanom said. “I cannot say this enough: Masks will not protect you alone from COVID-19.”

https://parade.com/1142328/kimberlyzapata/face-masks-side-effects/#:~:text=Side effects of wearing a mask 1 Obscured,sense of security. ... 8 Spreading germs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
1 hour ago, Billy Z said:

Masks will not protect you alone from COVID-19.”

Who is saying this (that "masks alone will protect you from COVID-19")? Almost nobody. Jeez.

Safety measures are additive. Supplemental. Including vaccination.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
12 hours ago, iacas said:

Safety measures are additive. Supplemental. Including vaccination.

Absolutely. Hygiene is a large part too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm now starting to see more and more people choosing to not wear masks even here in California and it most likely is people who aren't getting vaccinated either. I asked a clerk about it and they say management is not going to enforce it any longer so despite the signs on the doors it's voluntary.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/26/2021 at 11:05 AM, Billy Z said:

I have some concerns about this fall and how the number of cases workout. I am confident in the vaccine, and if a high percentage gets the vaccine we wouldn't have that much of a problem this fall. Do we live in a nation too many "softies" with unfounded fear of the vaccine? Probably so. Compare today's generational character to that of what is considered the greatest generation of all during the World War II era, and I think it is an unequivocal character. Self-sacrificing versus selfish. Brave vs cowardly. 

Think about the possibility of neighbors refusing to pull the shades at night or keep a limited amount of lights lit at night to avoid nighttime bombing raids like what they had to do back then.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
5 hours ago, flopster said:

I'm now starting to see more and more people choosing to not wear masks even here in California and it most likely is people who aren't getting vaccinated either. I asked a clerk about it and they say management is not going to enforce it any longer so despite the signs on the doors it's voluntary.

Odds are they are vaccinated though no? We’re at over 50% having gotten at least one shot by now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
7 hours ago, flopster said:

Think about the possibility of neighbors refusing to pull the shades at night or keep a limited amount of lights lit at night to avoid nighttime bombing raids like what they had to do back then.

I think food rationing would be a more difficult thing now than in the 40s.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 hours ago, iacas said:

Odds are they are vaccinated though no? We’re at over 50% having gotten at least one shot by now.

Well the mask mandate here is still in place until June 15th and since most are still abiding I just think it makes sense that the people who would disregard this minor inconvenience would be anti vax people. Honestly I think if I could show my vaccination card as I enter any establishment should be good enough to not mask up but the anti vax people undoubtedly will throw a fit over this and call it unconstitutional and a violation of their civil rights even though they aren't being denied entry into an establishment just being required to mask up since they want to exercise freedom of choice over a vaccination.

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, flopster said:

Think about the possibility of neighbors refusing to pull the shades at night or keep a limited amount of lights lit at night to avoid nighttime bombing raids like what they had to do back then.

I have often thought the same thing. You'd probably get morons posting links to videos where some crackpot explains that light from a house doesn't extend more than 23.5 feet into the atmosphere and that pilots can't see the ground and it's all holograms anyway. All something to do with the melting point of steel girders and the temperature aviation fuel burns at, apparently.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Our mask mandate in Michigan, for vaccinated residents, was lifted two weeks ago. I haven't been asked to wear a mask since. Though I do still see >50% of people wearing them. 

I was out to dinner this weekend and a maskless couple sat next to us and complained that the server wasn't wearing a mask. Was a tense situation for a bit. 

The kids had an outdoor band concert and were required to wear masks (with slits cut in it for their instrument lol). Even though they were outdoors and spaced out, they were asked to wear masks. Current state and CDC guidelines say masks are not necessary in such a situation.

Meanwhile there were 20,000 maskless spectators in Boston last night at the hockey game, but the coaches on the bench were wearing masks. 

I am seeing lots of odd, contradictory situations like that lately. Hopefully it all clears up July 1 when all restrictions end. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • I think you keep searching for different things when in reality you need to find your priority thing and work on that until it’s no longer the priority thing.
    • Oops. I should have said 'discarded cigarette lighter' rather than a walnut.
    • I have been doing a drill where I swing with my right arm only (right-handed golfer). In taking the club back slowly with my right arm only to the top and pausing there, I have found that the only real efficient way to initiate the downswing is for the lower body/hips to rotate towards the target. The lower body is needed to tug/pull the upper body/right arm. The momentum created on the downswing of the right arm does not have the left arm to get in the way and stall the swing. I find that the body opens up fully to the target without thought or concentrated effort involved. So practice a full, slow backswing with a pause at the top with the right arm only. Then do a good downswing and the body will be facing the target and there is also some good lag and forward shaft lean.  
    • I would suggest putting up a swing video so that people can assist you better.  In general, very few people can generally have too much hip or shoulder turn.  Most have too little
    • Day 64, July 28, 2021: Three quarter swing feels today, same stuff I’ve been working on for the last month. 
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. DanTheStallion
      DanTheStallion
      (36 years old)
    2. iYelledFOREatTheHOLE
      iYelledFOREatTheHOLE
      (31 years old)
    3. jd1623
      jd1623
      (38 years old)
    4. Rextarpromodel63
      Rextarpromodel63
      (38 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...