IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic

iacas

• Administrator

I’ve never been a fan of the “security theater” so I’m with you on stupid stuff like coaches wearing masks behind the bench of an NHL game.

I didn’t wear a mask twice now indoors. Once at Sam’s Club, once at GetGo. I haven’t during every lesson since the CDC said fully vaccinated people indoors could hang out without masks.

I just follow the science. And, when asked, the requirements of others. Wearing a mask is hardly a big deal. We’ve gotten quite used to it in a year, and for awhile longer, if it makes someone else more comfortable, fine.

I’m not impatient for them to end at more stores and in more states, but I’m not dreading them or anything like that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

I just follow the science. And, when asked, the requirements of others. Wearing a mask is hardly a big deal. We’ve gotten quite used to it in a year, and for awhile longer, if it makes someone else more comfortable, fine.

^This is pretty much how I feel about it. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

I’ll agree with @Braivo on the “masks outside playing sports” thing, though: the science says risk of transmission is nearly zero, and so I’d be miffed at that, too. Because it hurts breathing, performance, etc. Wearing a mask in Lowe’s is not the same as wearing a mask running around playing a sport.

BUT, I’m still pretty certain that whoever made students wear masks playing instruments or soccer isn’t a government agency per se, more just an independent league or group or something trying to cover their asses.

I’m not a big fan of covering asses. The NCAA National Championship had testing, and while players could wear no masks playing, technically coaches had to wear masks 24/7 basically, even while driving around in a cart by themselves outside on a golf course.

I didn’t, and many other coaches didn’t. I’d put it on when I was near someone I didn’t know, but I drove there for hours in a van with my players, who were tested every other day (the ones who like me weren’t fully vaccinated), we were staying in the same block of hotel rooms, we ate meals together, etc.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

BUT, I’m still pretty certain that whoever made students wear masks playing instruments or soccer isn’t a government agency per se, more just an independent league or group or something trying to cover their asses.

I think it was a liability thing. Especially considering they were dealing with kids and teenagers. I don't think any school official wanted to have a bunch of kids catch it playing a sport. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I'm expecting another surge this fall and the mask requirements return. Frustrating doesn't mean enough for how I'm going to feel when this occurs.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

2 minutes ago, flopster said:

I'm expecting another surge this fall and the mask requirements return. Frustrating doesn't mean enough for how I'm going to feel when this occurs.

Why would masking return if more vaccines are becoming available and more people are receiving them? The CDC has already advised that those who have been vaccinated need not wear masks in most situations. 

Edited by ncates00

AgEXQXh5SXdKYVVEUjA2UDZwRzhoVC1KX2cAMA

With the adjustment for vaccination, the national death rate is roughly the same as it was two months ago...

FFS….get the vaccine. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Vinsk said:
AgEXQXh5SXdKYVVEUjA2UDZwRzhoVC1KX2cAMA

With the adjustment for vaccination, the national death rate is roughly the same as it was two months ago...

FFS….get the vaccine. 

From the article:

But adjustments for vaccinations show the rate among susceptible, unvaccinated people is 73 percent higher than the standard figures being publicized. With that adjustment, the national death rate is roughly the same as it was two months ago and is barely inching down. The adjusted hospitalization rate is as high as it was three months ago.

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

From the article:

But adjustments for vaccinations show the rate among susceptible, unvaccinated people is 73 percent higher than the standard figures being publicized. With that adjustment, the national death rate is roughly the same as it was two months ago and is barely inching down. The adjusted hospitalization rate is as high as it was three months ago.

ugh.... I just want to cry

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

It’s so disappointing how there are those that just refuse to grasp the importance through ignorance, selfishness or stubbornness. ‘Concern’ that the vaccine poses a higher risk to health than Covid is just irresponsible.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

It’s so disappointing how there are those that just refuse to grasp the importance through ignorance, selfishness or stubbornness. ‘Concern’ that the vaccine poses a higher risk to health than Covid is just irresponsible.

The virus came suddenly, the vaccine came suddenly, many falsehoods were generated, many excuses were made, etc, creating a lot of skepticism. Mix all this with human nature and you get around 50+% vaccinated. I was one of the first to get vaccinated when it became available to my age group, trusting the vac. 

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

3 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

the vaccine came suddenly,

Well, not really. The science and biochemical aspects of the vaccine are nothing new. It’s like when a new car is developed nobody says, ‘ well I’ll wait for people to drive this thing for awhile before I’ll do it.’ Most of the technology used to make the car is well researched and understood. Many people aren’t aware of the extent of testing that took place prior to releasing the vaccine.

5 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Many people aren’t aware of the extent of testing that took place prior to releasing the vaccine.

The way that vaccine development was politicized almost certainly contributes to the perception (among some) that it was rushed through, rather than seriously tested.  For better or worse, a large segment of the population doesn't have the patience to read anything longer than a Twitter post, and learning more about vaccine development requires a bit more effort.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

The way that vaccine development was politicized almost certainly contributes to the perception (among some) that it was rushed through, rather than seriously tested.  For better or worse, a large segment of the population doesn't have the patience to read anything longer than a Twitter post, and learning more about vaccine development requires a bit more effort.

Yep.

5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm sorry. I stopped reading after the word "The". 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

13 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Many people aren’t aware of the extent of testing that took place prior to releasing the vaccine.

I understand what you say and agree, but I think the quoted part is the point I was trying to make.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

2 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I'm sorry. I stopped reading after the word "The". 

:beer:

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

People may choose not to get the vaccine for reasons other than being inconsiderate or misinformed. People have been making these decisions on the Influenza vaccines for decades, and in some years influenza has been a more serious health problem than COVID 19, at least with regard to morbidity and mortality in younger age groups. I get most vaccines that are available to me, including the COVID-19 one. I weigh risks and benefits and make my decision. 

Edited by Big Lex

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert