Jump to content
IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic


iacas

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, saevel25 said:

self diagnosis

I have several friends who have done self-diagnosis saying they "think" they got Covid last year as they described to me a winter cold or flu symptoms.  Any port in a storm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, Double Mocha Man said:

I have several friends who have done self-diagnosis saying they "think" they got Covid last year as they described to me a winter cold or flu symptoms.  Any port in a storm.

A co-worker's wife got COVID (tested positive) and he basically didn't social distance at all (even not sleeping in a different bed). He never got symptoms. He never got tested, but what are the odds he didn't catch it with knowing a lot of people didn't show symptoms? He should have gotten tested to decide if he should get the vaccine. 

Yea, most fears are unwarranted when looked at from a logical perspective. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

A co-worker's wife got COVID (tested positive) and he basically didn't social distance at all (even not sleeping in a different bed). He never got symptoms. He never got tested, but what are the odds he didn't catch it with knowing a lot of people didn't show symptoms? He should have gotten tested to decide if he should get the vaccine. 

Yea, most fears are unwarranted when looked at from a logical perspective. 

Are you sure you didn't mean to say:

He didn't social distance after his wife got Covid. Due to his disgusting selfishness he refused to get tested because despite an avalanche of information, he couldn't grasp the simple notion that asymptomatic transfer is the most common way the virus is spread. He refused to self-isolate with his wife. He put his co-workers and everyone else at risk of catching it and dying because there was a very high chance that he had it and was asymptomatic. And......to make his stupidity and arrogance even worse, he didn't even take the vaccine!!!! The lack of logic and ignorance astounds me. I'm embarrassed to say that this is someone I know and the fact that he put my family and I at huge risk makes me extremely angry.

If not, why not?

 

Edited by Shorty
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, Shorty said:

Are you sure you didn't mean to say:

He didn't social distance after his wife got Covid. Due to his disgusting selfishness he refused to get tested because despite an avalanche of information, he couldn't grasp the simple notion that asymptomatic transfer is the most common way the virus is spread. He refused to self-isolate with his wife. He put his co-workers and everyone else at risk of catching it and dying because there was a very high chance that he had it and was asymptomatic. And......to make his stupidity and arrogance even worse, he didn't even take the vaccine!!!!

 

Shorty... it sounds like you kinda admire that guy...  😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
4 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Are you sure you didn't mean to say:

He didn't social distance after his wife got Covid. Due to his disgusting selfishness he refused to get tested because despite an avalanche of information, he couldn't grasp the simple notion that asymptomatic transfer is the most common way the virus is spread. He refused to self-isolate with his wife. He put his co-workers and everyone else at risk of catching it and dying because there was a very high chance that he had it and was asymptomatic. And......to make his stupidity and arrogance even worse, he didn't even take the vaccine!!!!

 

Nope, because I have no idea if he did or did not isolate himself from public. 

Let's say his wife gets COVID, he's taking care of her, and self isolates through the entire process plus a few weeks after she gets better. I rather not be snarky and nasty to a coworker when I do not know what he exactly did. All I know is, he did not get the vaccine because he was around his wife through the entirety of her bout with COVID. 

Also, he was working from home, so no issue with social distancing with coworkers. We were not allowed to go into the office unless it was for specific reasons, and you had to report when you showed up, when you left, and who you ended up being around. You were required to wear masks when you were not at your desk. Again, rather not say nasty snarky comments here. You obviously do not know our work situation. 

Yes, he probably should have gotten tested. Yes, if the vaccine further helps him out, then he should have gotten the vaccine when available. 

Edited by saevel25
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
13 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

 

Yes, he probably should have gotten tested. Yes, if the vaccine further helps him out, then he should have gotten the vaccine when available. 

"probably" should have? When is wife had it?

"If" the vaccine "further helps him out"? The guy is clearly anti vaccine. A fool.

Pardon me, but it sounds as if you are not 100% on board with the vaccine. You even said that he basically should decide whether he should get the vaccine only if he had tested positive!

Why can't these people understand that you get the vaccine to save others, not just yourself. Symptoms or no symptoms. You get the vaccine. Unless you are a selfish dick who doesn't give a sh*t about anyone else. UNLESS your doctor specifically tells you NOT to take it, lest risking your own life.

Am I missing something?  The vaccine has "helped" many, many millions of people out by making sure they don't die. And don't pass it on.

Edited by Shorty
Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Pardon me, but it sounds as if you are not 100% on board with the vaccine. You even said that he basically should decide whether he should get the vaccine only if he had tested positive!

1) I am 100% for vaccine, so tone down the barking a bit here. I am trying to push as many people, POLITELY, to get the vaccine. Because, when has barking at the, or calling people idiots ever gotten them to do what you want them to do. 

2) How much more does the vaccine help someone who has had COVID resist getting COVD? If he tests positive, should he get the vaccine if he has sufficient antibodies to resist it from getting COVID? Should we demonize him for it if he is sufficiently protected because he had it. 

3 minutes ago, Shorty said:

The vaccine has helped many, many millions of people out by making sure they don't die.

How many are those who previously had COVID? Just asking questions to get information not to combat you on getting the vaccine or not. 

Don't take my questioning as denouncing getting the vaccine. I am not an expert, and any more information is good for me to pass along. I 100% agree with taking the vaccine if possible. Which is a very high % of people out there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
21 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

 

2) How much more does the vaccine help someone who has had COVID resist getting COVD? If he tests positive, should he get the vaccine if he has sufficient antibodies to resist it from getting COVID? Should we demonize him for it if he is sufficiently protected because he had it. 

 

Asymptomatic transfer is the danger. The very fact that this person decided not to bother getting tested because he felt OK just shows that he is an example of what the health authorities are up against. He simply doesn't understand how it transfers. It's like living in the 1300s.

I am living in Australia, and we are currently in the middle of a spike that is fast getting out of control. We're worse than we were a year ago. All because our pathetic government was slack in ordering enough vaccines and the insanity of being anti-vaccine has spread worldwide. We are having lockdowns and thousand of people are losing their livelihoods. This is a year after we were doing so well. 

I get that screaming at people and judging and blaming and chest beating can be (I mean is) counterproductive when dealing with sceptics, but just the idea that someone who is eligible capable of receiving it thinks they have to "research" or even think about getting the vaccine astonishes me. 

Edited by Shorty
Link to comment
Share on other sites


(edited)
29 minutes ago, Shorty said:

"probably" should have? When is wife had it?

"If" the vaccine "further helps him out"? The guy is clearly anti vaccine. A fool.

Pardon me, but it sounds as if you are not 100% on board with the vaccine. You even said that he basically should decide whether he should get the vaccine only if he had tested positive!

Why can't these people understand that you get the vaccine to save others, not just yourself. Symptoms or no symptoms. You get the vaccine. Unless you are a selfish dick who doesn't give a sh*t about anyone else. UNLESS your doctor specifically tells you NOT to take it, lest risking your own life.

Am I missing something?  The vaccine has "helped" many, many millions of people out by making sure they don't die. And don't pass it on.

Dude, calm the F down. He never said he wasn’t for the vaccine. Just because he doesn’t think it should be compelled by government force doesn’t mean he’s not for it. I was one the first people I know personally to get it (because healthcare professionals’ spouses could get a vaccine in my area; my wife is a FNP), but that doesn’t mean I think the government should make everyone get it—even though it likely can do so constitutionally under law (although government officials have already indicated that they will not mandate the vaccine). As for now, it’s still an individual’s choice. If they want to be stupid and not do so, that’s their prerogative, unless their employer demands it. 

Edited by ncates00
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Asymptomatic transfer is the danger. The very fact that this person decided not to bother getting tested because he felt OK just shows that he is an example of what the health authorities are up against. He simply doesn't understand how it transfers. It's like living in the 1300s.

It's like living in the 1900's and 2000's. Majority of people don't have a grasp of illness and just go to a doctor. The doctor writes them a script, they go to the pharmacy and move on. 

I feel like you are not taking into account timing. Is an Asymptomatic person transmissible forever? What if he caught it 3 months after COVID hit. The vaccine didn't come out for half a year or more. Would he still be putting people at risk? 

Given, he should have gotten tested. He should be consulting a medical professional. Those are the two major sins. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mind you, @Shorty, I get the whole “it’s not for you, it’s for the protection of others” part of it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There's been a lot of stories in the news lately that, because enough people have not been vaccinated (thus starving the virus), we may be headed towards mandates.  Not desirable but the 30% to 40% not vaccinated are keeping Covid-19 rolling right along and harming those who have done their part to help beat down this pandemic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

There's been a lot of stories in the news lately that, because enough people have not been vaccinated (thus starving the virus), we may be headed towards mandates.  Not desirable but the 30% to 40% not vaccinated are keeping Covid-19 rolling right along and harming those who have done their part to help beat down this pandemic.

I hadn't heard that, but given the stupidity of people out there refusing to take it (even for FREE, no less), I'm not surprised. It'll likely be upheld too because, while the case law is old, the case mostly on point has upheld such measures.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
34 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

 but that doesn’t mean I think the government should make everyone get it—even though it likely can do so constitutionally under law (although government officials have already indicated that they will not mandate the vaccine). As for now, it’s still an individual’s choice. If they want to be stupid and not do so, that’s their prerogative, unless their employer demands it. 

I understand the need to protect what people perceive to be their freedoms, but I don't think that there is a problem in enforcing things like the wearing of seatbelts or driving whilst drunk etc. I think it SHOULD be mandated, but am realistic enough to know that any government who tried to to this would become very unpopular very quickly. At the very least I think there should be a sort of "vaccination passport" where it became pretty obvious that being unvaccinated stopped you from doing things you like to do - like going to restaurants, sporting events or even your job, which would be an incentive for them to get vaccinated.

I kind of think that the greatest freedom you can have is being pretty sure that if you do get the virus it won't kill you. And there's a simple way to achieve that freedom.

Edited by Shorty
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Administrator
2 hours ago, Shorty said:

Asymptomatic transfer is the danger. The very fact that this person decided not to bother getting tested because he felt OK just shows that he is an example of what the health authorities are up against. He simply doesn't understand how it transfers. It's like living in the 1300s.

Or, he understands how it transfers, and he was only around his wife for two months. He didn't need to get tested… because in getting tested, maybe he would have gone out more than he did in isolating at home, perhaps?

You are making a LOT of assumptions, as you often do, @Shorty.

Cool it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator

I'm quoting this from another site. It's not my writing, but I lean toward agreement:

Quote

I think the last three months have answered a question that has been asked many times in the past 20-30 years: Would our country make the sacrifices that our grandfathers/grandmothers made in the WWII effort and our great-grandfathers and great-grandmothers made in the WWI effort?

The answer is clearly “no”.

Our prior generations did what was asked of them for the sake of our country and our allies, while around 50% of our current fellow citizens won’t even get a simple vaccine to protect our fellow citizens’ health and welfare.

As much as it was popular to say “never forget” in late 2001 and for a few years thereafter, almost a majority of our country wouldn’t even do the minimal preventative action that could likely have defeated this thing (and enemy) for good.

Those that haven’t gotten the vaccine for any reason other than their doctor advising against them getting the vaccine for a specific personal existing medical reason are providing comfort to the enemy and are the furthest thing from being patriots.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...