IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic

iacas

12 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Nice rant.  Aren't those the same people who when they are on their deathbed from Covid are saying they wish they had gotten vaccinated?  Or that they would now be happy to take the science-designed monoclonal antibodies?

Please tell that to the thousands in Michigan that are coming down with Covid daily.   I have a friend that works in the ED in Muskegon where they are over 100% compacity and about 98% of those are not vaccinated.    The numbers here are very scary with the vast majority being unvaccinated.   Hospitals in the Flint area are asking for federal help because they are over crowded.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

about 98% of those are not vaccinated.

Jeezus.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

21 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Please tell that to the thousands in Michigan that are coming down with Covid daily.   I have a friend that works in the ED in Muskegon where they are over 100% compacity and about 98% of those are not vaccinated.    The numbers here are very scary with the vast majority being unvaccinated.   Hospitals in the Flint area are asking for federal help because they are over crowded.  

I just messaged him, I stand corrected.   The amount is 80%

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

The amount is 80%

Which is still scary since the majority are vaccinated.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Which is still scary since the majority are vaccinated.

Doesn't it mean only 20% are vaccinated? 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

3 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Of the people that are coming to his ED.

Erik said majority are vaccinated. I was confused, because I do not think 20% is a majority. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Doesn't it mean only 20% are vaccinated? 

The majority of people are vaccinated.

In Michigan, and everywhere, basically.

So 80% of the people coming in are from the minority, the unvaccinated. Which is yet again evidence of how the vaccines are pretty effective.

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

It's kind of become that way here in Central Ohio lately as well. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Sad story happened last month. I'm sure everyone has a similar story by now, but a couple that my wife and I know had a brother/brother-in-law who refused to get vaccinated. 

He and his wife went to visit and stay with their children and school-age grandchildren a few weeks ago. His feeling was I'm willing to take the risk. He assumed he was safe because statistically any given person at any given moment isn't likely to have Covid. 

I'm sure you see where this is going. Yeah, he caught the Covid. It hit him hard. Was on a ventilator for a week or so and then lost his fight. The family is rationalizing it by remembering him saying "I'm willing to take the risk. It's mine to take." etc... Plus, they don't know for sure where he caught it. But the timing sure makes it look like he caught it from the grandkids. 

I think this story is really sad, because the kids hear about Covid cases in their schools pretty much every day. I feel for the grandkids as they may forever wonder "Did I kill Grandpa?" 

31 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Sad story happened last month. I'm sure everyone has a similar story by now, but a couple that my wife and I know had a brother/brother-in-law who refused to get vaccinated. 

He and his wife went to visit and stay with their children and school-age grandchildren a few weeks ago. His feeling was I'm willing to take the risk. He assumed he was safe because statistically any given person at any given moment isn't likely to have Covid. 

I'm sure you see where this is going. Yeah, he caught the Covid. It hit him hard. Was on a ventilator for a week or so and then lost his fight. The family is rationalizing it by remembering him saying "I'm willing to take the risk. It's mine to take." etc... Plus, they don't know for sure where he caught it. But the timing sure makes it look like he caught it from the grandkids. 

I think this story is really sad, because the kids hear about Covid cases in their schools pretty much every day. I feel for the grandkids as they may forever wonder "Did I kill Grandpa?" 

That is sad, and totally preventable.   The thing is that it wasn't just his risk to take.  He's gambling with people who are around him as well.  Hopefully the kids aren't affected.   The tolerance that my wife and I have for people who are unvaccinated at this point is pretty low.   People with kids under 5 are a different story, but other people who aren't vaccinated at this point, if I was a carrier and didn't know it I wouldn't feel bad.   If I knew or suspected I had it, I'd quarantine.

—Adam

54 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Grandpa killed Grandpa.

I agree with you. Still that's a heavy weight to put on a kid.

When I think about my own children, my son would be like "Man, he did it to himself." But my daughter would probably bear that cross for a long time. Even if it wasn't her fault. She'd be heartbroken and think it was her fault, because that's just the kind of kid she is. People don't realize stuff like that. They just think "I'm only affecting myself." ... WRONG! 

Edited by ChetlovesMer

6 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I agree with you. Still that's a heavy weight to put on a kid.

When I think about my own children, my son would be like "Man, he did it to himself." But my daughter would probably bear that cross for a long time. Even if it wasn't her fault. She'd be heartbroken and think it was her fault, because that's just the kind of kid she is. People don't realize stuff like that. They just think "I'm only affecting myself." ... WRONG! 

Mine would be split too.   One would always wonder, while the other would probably laugh and it the button to send grandpa into the crematorium. 

—Adam

3 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Sad story happened last month. I'm sure everyone has a similar story by now, but a couple that my wife and I know had a brother/brother-in-law who refused to get vaccinated..........

See.. I don't think this is a sad story at all. Stories like these are necessary to make people realise the importance of getting the vaccine. People often need first hand experience of tragedy to motivate them to really analyse what they're doing. Their stupidity serves as an example that may save the lives of some of their friends. And.... they can no longer infect others. They might have infected vulnerable people. Or strong and healthy people.

I'm not feeling sorry for anyone who is suspicious of the usefulness of parachutes and chooses to take the risk by jumping out of a plane.

It's sad for the loved ones who tried to educate them, but it is essentially rolling the dice on suicide. Their choice. They had ample information. They chose to ignore it. These people disrespect scientists and educators. They read nonsense and believe that over clear evidence. Selfishness has consequences and in the year 2021 when uneducated people don't trust science where there is irrefutable proof of the success of the vaccines they have to live and die by their decisions. These are not innocent people who have been denied information. They are not victims. 

I know that's harsh, but it's true. I don't want anti-vaxers anywhere near me and you certainly don't want them near your elderly parents, kids and grandkids.

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Shorty said:

See.. I don't think this is a sad story at all.

Oh come on. A guy still died, a guy with a family, etc. It can be sad that someone was dumb or made a mistake, because a child still lost his or her parent or his or her grandparent.

5 minutes ago, Shorty said:

it is essentially rolling the dice on suicide.

So is choosing to get in the car to drive somewhere. Or almost anything else we do in life, to varying degrees.

Why am I coming down on you despite agreeing for the most part? Because when you take outrageous stances like this, it makes us all look bad. Uncaring. Evil.

Yep, you can have compassion, though it seems in short supply, for those who chose poorly.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

Oh come on. A guy still died, a guy with a family, etc. It can be sad that someone was dumb or made a mistake, because a child still lost his or her parent or his or her grandparent.

So is choosing to get in the car to drive somewhere. Or almost anything else we do in life, to varying degrees.

Why am I coming down on you despite agreeing for the most part? Because when you take outrageous stances like this, it makes us all look bad. Uncaring. Evil.

That's why I said I know it's harsh. My point was essentially a philosophical one.

People change their minds about war when they have had first hand experience of it. It has to be personal for some people.

Some people can only understand domestic abuse when it affects them personally.

Some people can only understand genocide when they have a family connection.

People decide to get vaccinated when they think "Shit... x died. I'm getting vaccinated."

I get you....I'm making a point in a way that can make me look bad. But I do think the point is valid. Which is why I phrased it the way I did.

And..... I accept your criticism. It is not unfair.

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.