IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic

iacas

20 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I just can’t see how people can whine so much about wearing a mask in a store. It is not hard at all. They act like 3 year olds having a tantrum. Just wear it and move on.

There're a lot of Karens and Kevins out there.  Throwing mask tantrums.  My theory is that the folks who want to be obstinate don't have much control in their lives, and not wearing a mask is one area where they can say f**k you.  I feel there's a political aspect to this too, but I can't discuss it on this site.  Wear a mask, save a life.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I just can’t see how people can whine so much about wearing a mask in a store. It is not hard at all. They act like 3 year olds having a tantrum. Just wear it and move on.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. 

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Kevins

Uhh...it’s ‘Kens’. 😡

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

3 hours ago, iacas said:

FWIW, I think "percent positive tests" is a nearly completely useless stat. You could get it to nearly 100% if you test only people who almost surely have COVID-19, and get it to nearly 0% if you test people who almost surely don't have it.

It's not a useless stat. It's a powerful way of measuring if enough testing is being conducted.

jhu_covid_19_generic.png

See daily changes in tests performed and positivity rates

1 hour ago, chspeed said:

It's not a useless stat. It's a powerful way of measuring if enough testing is being conducted.

jhu_covid_19_generic.png

See daily changes in tests performed and positivity rates

In WA, that stat had shown a steady decrease for several months. It has stagnated and gone slightly up and in the last two weeks. Testing has more than doubled so they are finding a lot more positive cases, so the total cases number looks bad. To see the percent positive gives it a brighter outlook. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

4 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

There're a lot of Karens and Kevins out there.  Throwing mask tantrums.  My theory is that the folks who want to be obstinate don't have much control in their lives, and not wearing a mask is one area where they can say f**k you.  I feel there's a political aspect to this too, but I can't discuss it on this site.  Wear a mask, save a life.

Additionally, the folks that complained about lock-downs and shutting everything down also complain about the masks.  I think the masks are a good, reasonable middle ground position to try to keep businesses open and restore some version of normalcy.  If anything, folks should be happy to wear a mask as a reasonable burden and otherwise enjoy going about your day; it beats staying at home and not making a living or doing other things.

There is a teen near our area after contracting Coronavirus has now been diagnosed with another complication, Multi-System Inflammatory Syndrome.   Multi-System Inflammatory Syndrome in Children causes swelling and pain in various organs and muscles. Many who get it had been infected by or were previously exposed to the virus that causes COVID-19. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator
3 hours ago, chspeed said:

It doesn't necessarily do that, either.

Especially if they're double- or triple-counting positives.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I would think this would depend on your state’s constitution. Your governor may or may not have that authority to impose something like this. If he or she does, then law enforcement should comply. If not, legislators need to step up and discuss fully with the governor and come to an agreement.

6 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Depends on the state, but Governors generally have a wide scope of authority to deal with health and safety in the state. This includes things like quarantining, and making it a crime to break quarantine. A Governor's order to mask can be enforced with criminal penalties.

At the federal level, there are thousands of criminal offenses that are not laws passed by Congress.

So as governor, I could say that wearing a burka for instance is a risk and make it illegal with a wave of my magic wand? It's a slippery slope.

I'm not anti-mask. I am pro common sense. He made it a criminal offense in "red" counties, but a few months ago was letting felons out of prison to protect them from COVID-19. All the local and county police departments are releasing statements that they are not going to be the mask police, so what good does it do. The more they try to assert authority, the more people become opposed to what they say. Heck, my county sheriff put out a statement asking people to stop calling 9-1-1 when the see someone without a mask. 

- Shane

FFS...just wear a mask in public spaces where it's difficult to physical distance..

I'm getting fed up hearing about health care workers over worked and young healthy health care workers getting sick or dying from Covid because of the non complying entitled IDIOTS.

Edited by Mr22putt

6 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

So as governor, I could say that wearing a burka for instance is a risk and make it illegal with a wave of my magic wand? It's a slippery slope.

I'm not anti-mask. I am pro common sense. He made it a criminal offense in "red" counties, but a few months ago was letting felons out of prison to protect them from COVID-19. All the local and county police departments are releasing statements that they are not going to be the mask police, so what good does it do. The more they try to assert authority, the more people become opposed to what they say. Heck, my county sheriff put out a statement asking people to stop calling 9-1-1 when the see someone without a mask. 

Again, your state legislature may have already given the governor this authority. I see it more like a seat belt law with a bit more concern. Knowingly having COVID and risking exposure to others can be considered assault. If they infect others knowingly, it is battery. So it is already against the law in that respect. People have been arrested for coughing on others on purpose.

If people would just wear masks, we wouldn’t have to legislate. But these same idiots probably don’t wear seatbelts either.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

If people would just wear masks, we wouldn’t have to legislate.

The more they legislate, the more people want to resist. They are sick this dictatorship. They've been running commercials asking people to wear masks, but they're so lame that people are laughing at them. As more stories of the government boosting numbers come out, people don't trust them and resist more. The state released numbers last week by county, and at least one county came out and said their numbers aren't nearly as high as the state reported. The incompetence of our elected officials is really showing.

- Shane

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

If people would just wear masks, we wouldn’t have to legislate. But these same idiots probably don’t wear seatbelts either.

These same people however don’t walk into restaurants barefoot, or take off their shirt off in a bank if they’re hot. They won’t take a leak on the side of a building downtown. They comply every day then act like freedom warriors when it comes to masks.

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

21 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

These same people however don’t walk into restaurants barefoot, or take off their shirt off in a bank if they’re hot.

I can tell that you don't come to Ohio/Kentucky/West VA often.

- Shane

4 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I can tell that you don't come to Ohio/Kentucky/West VA often.

"Take your shirt off in a bank". They don't even do that in Hubertucky. ... We got enough of an image problem already and don't need any more help.

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

If people would just wear masks, we wouldn’t have to legislate

Nope. If everyone wore masks the government would need to legislate something entirely different. ... Part of their job is to prove how very valuable they are to us their faithful subjects, err, constituents.

18 hours ago, iacas said:

You don't get to pick and choose what "stats" matter or what stats are relevant.

If they say "206 new cases this week" and 50 of them are duplicates from the week before… then it's 156 new cases. that's a significant change, and some counties are deciding whether to go "green" or "yellow" by the number of new cases per week.

And 29%… 206 cases = 710 cases, so if 50 are duplicates, then that's 156/660, which reduces the % to 23.6%.

FWIW, I think "percent positive tests" is a nearly completely useless stat. You could get it to nearly 100% if you test only people who almost surely have COVID-19, and get it to nearly 0% if you test people who almost surely don't have it.

Right now positive tests are higher because testing is more widely available, and people who are showing symptoms are being tested, as well as people who have come into contact with them. I haven't been tested, nor has anyone in my family or almost any of my friends. Were they, they'd be negatives, and would lower the % positives.

The U.S. is not Germany.

Hmmm. The US is not Germany. That's a good one. How right you are. see charts.

You just don't give up do you. Nothing data worthy to add but your gift is to simply tear down comments people make. It looks from your profile that you are a golf instructor? Imagine a 35 handicap golfer coming to you and only arguing with you about what are the most basic golf fundamentals. That's what you sound like when you discuss scientific matters.  Yes you do have a little knowledge. But you're more interested in something completely different than exchanging ideas or discussing any topic openly. I noticed it in looking at some of your other posts. Always quick to shut someone down, even when there is an opening to possibly leaning in and expressing some true curiosity and inquiry. Feel free to remove me from your website. 

daily-cases-covid-19.png

daily-cases-covid-19 (1).png

15 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

"Take your shirt off in a bank". They don't even do that in Hubertucky. ... We got enough of an image problem already and don't need any more help.

You can't even go into a bank now, so...

Let's look at Ohio's data. Our daily cases / deaths were bad during the total shutdown. Cases actually went down when things opened back up in mid/late May despite more testing. Cases began to go back up in mid-June which many people assign to the hoards of people protesting and anti-protesting. Many say that is due to increased testing, but since hospitalizations are going up to, I don't believe that to be the case. Most importantly, our fatality rate has been trending down since late May. I attribute this to our doctors and nurses identifying COVID-19 and treating earlier. Maybe I am wrong, but to me it is a good thing that we have more cases with a declining death rate.

image.png

- Shane