IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic

iacas

What is different? ... 

- The busy season for my particular line of work got stretched out. Made for a lot less of a crunch. We probably did a little more business than we would have otherwise, but not as much as I had hoped. So, for me, the money situation is ok.

- It closed my home golf courses (although that probably was going to happen eventually anyway) and relocated me to a new place. 

- Because of the flood of people on fewer golf courses, I have not been able to play nearly as much and my game is suffering for it.

- Many years, a group of my family and friends will get together for a week's vacation in the Outer Banks. This didn't happen this year.

- Any sort of real aspiration to get back in the gym went out the window with the closures first and now the mask mandates. Just can't see myself working out in a mask or maybe that's just an excuse.

- Even after all these months, I constantly have to walk back to the car to get my mask because I always forget it.

- The breathlessly dire quality to our newscasts is somewhat depressing.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, iacas said:

Here's what I'd like to ask everyone. No commentary, really, just a question:

What has changed (weather independent, etc.) from February until today?

Here in Erie, PA and off the top of my head:

• Much more golf being played.
  • Masks inside anything, and sometimes even outside.
  • Restaurants are still pushing outdoor seating and limited indoors (which doesn't feel totally weird, but does a little).
  • Some reduced hospitalization and/or procedures. Chiropractors, for example, are seeing fewer patients (great for me as I can get in whenever!)
  • LOTS more golf being played, particularly by juniors who don't have as many things to do.
  • Kids are still doing stupid things. Almost nothing has changed there.
  • All the changes to education. My wife is a teacher and she's going to have like 75% more work this year — and she was NOT one of the lazy teachers. She put in a lot of time, which is actually why she'll have so much more work to do this year. It's the actually lazy teachers or those who teach the "non-essential" courses that get another several months (at a minimum) of easy work.
  • Retail is down. The Millcreek Mall is a ghost town. Other places like Lowe's and Home Depot seem almost unaffected.
  • Friends and others are still working from home… which honestly makes sense if it becomes permanent. I've been a big fan of working from home since I got out of college.
  • Pro sports are "back". No fans but they're playing. High school sports are not. Many college sports are not.

I've run out of my self-allotted time, so that's all I've got. What has changed for you? 

I have a lot more time to practice golf.

Golf courses are more crowded.

Grocery shopping feels like a chore now, used to be something I looked forward to.

My kids are going crazy not being able to play with other kids.

School is all distance learning for the foreseeable future.

I work from home 90% of the time now, which has indirectly caused some weight gain because I am a bike commuter, so my weekly mileage has been reduced.

People are wearing masks and social distancing, at least in my area.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

9 hours ago, iacas said:

Here's what I'd like to ask everyone. No commentary, really, just a question:

What has changed (weather independent, etc.) from February until today?

Here in Erie, PA and off the top of my head:

• Much more golf being played.
  • Masks inside anything, and sometimes even outside.
  • Restaurants are still pushing outdoor seating and limited indoors (which doesn't feel totally weird, but does a little).
  • Some reduced hospitalization and/or procedures. Chiropractors, for example, are seeing fewer patients (great for me as I can get in whenever!)
  • LOTS more golf being played, particularly by juniors who don't have as many things to do.
  • Kids are still doing stupid things. Almost nothing has changed there.
  • All the changes to education. My wife is a teacher and she's going to have like 75% more work this year — and she was NOT one of the lazy teachers. She put in a lot of time, which is actually why she'll have so much more work to do this year. It's the actually lazy teachers or those who teach the "non-essential" courses that get another several months (at a minimum) of easy work.
  • Retail is down. The Millcreek Mall is a ghost town. Other places like Lowe's and Home Depot seem almost unaffected.
  • Friends and others are still working from home… which honestly makes sense if it becomes permanent. I've been a big fan of working from home since I got out of college.
  • Pro sports are "back". No fans but they're playing. High school sports are not. Many college sports are not.

I've run out of my self-allotted time, so that's all I've got. What has changed for you? 

I agree with almost everything you listed.   I'll add a few:

• You are hard pressed to get a new pet, even from the Humane Society
  • Outdoor patio furniture is scarce
  • Installing a pool was a wait until summer is almost over thing
  • Supplies in the grocery stores are still very limited for some items like paper towels, toilet paper and Clorox wipes
  • more home projects are being completed
  • a significant amount of new golfers

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the local driving range which is attached with Muni golf course.

I had not set foot on the golf course since early March.  Our State is under the ordinance of facemasks in all public places.  I saw golfers wearing facemasks inside the proshop and everyone was observing the safe distance and following the direction of moving around by the taped arrows on the floor.

Outside on the driving rang, no one, I mean no one had the facemask on.  I get it, because it was kind of awkward to hit range balls wearing the facemask.  But I saw no one was wearing facemasks while golfing and they walk in groups, joking laughing as if nothing .

I saw one of the guy I know walking down the 10th fairway while I was leaving the driving range.  I know, his wife has Lupus, plus she has asthma and other immune deficiency illness.   He did not wear mask , looked happy to be out with buddies in a sunny day on the golf course.  I can relate to the need to get outside and get away from everything for 4-5 hours.  But obviously, he does not understand how virus is transmitted.  

This pandemic is beyond politics, beyond all other concerns in life.  Some just don;t get it.  There is no immune built up for the Virus, because it's mutating.  Like the influenza.  we learned and understand about the influenza somewhat, which we know each year there be different virus attacking the population.    Same with this COVID-19.  It's with us and will return each season.  As the same like the influenza, some of us will recover from the Virus and some will not.  

Those can recover from the virus attack should protect those vulnerable.  Strong should help and                            protect the weak, isn't that's how it works ?  I would take the inconvenience if that act could help others.  The other friend I contacted said no golf of unnecessary outing for him since his parent is moving in with them for a few weeks after the knee surgery.  Now, that's a loving and considerate son.  

In crisis, it'll expose the good and the bad.  Keep your eyes open and remember what you witness.  These experience is the same as playing a round of golf with friends to know them better.

32 minutes ago, Release said:

Outside on the driving rang, no one, I mean no one had the facemask on.  I get it, because it was kind of awkward to hit range balls wearing the facemask.  But I saw no one was wearing facemasks while golfing and they walk in groups, joking laughing as if nothing .

This is only sort of directed at you, and I intend it as a positive comment.  I hope everyone reading it takes it as such.  I really wish I could say it to the people you saw. 

If you have trouble hitting balls, or performing any other activity you'd like to do, while wearing a facemask, consider getting a different facemask.  Of course, there are exceptions:  let's not search for a facemask you can participate in a pie-eating contest while wearing or something like that.  But for things that you'd want to do, but that you should (for some definition of should) wear a mask for, find an appropriate mask.

I'm serious.

I had one style/material combination, which I still wear periodically but not for golf anymore, that I wore as my main facemask early in the pandemic.  I removed it at every opportunity when I was playing golf -- for example, if I could see that I was [I, not my ball, was] on the left fairway and everyone else was on the right side, and I was a safe distance from them (more than just two yards -- especially since I'm bad at judging distances by sight), I'd pull down the mask for a bit.  I'd make a point of keeping track of where everyone else was, so I could put it back on if they were nearby or approaching.  And I put it on before hitting because I didn't want to have to think of "where are my friends?" while swinging.  

Anyway, a month or so ago, I got a few masks in another material (same style as the first one) and have sometimes kept it up when I'm nowhere near my playing mates, blissfully unaware I was wearing it until I went to get some water and couldn't get the straw to my mouth.  I had it over my face a few weeks ago, off the golf course, for about a two mile stretch of a hike -- I had seen someone, pulled it on, I guess hadn't removed it and went to pull it on when I saw another person a while later only to realize it was still up.  Two miles or so, mid-day, Southern California in August.

My point is that there are plenty of safe, quality masks that achieve the purpose of masks (such as preventing you from spreading the disease if you have it and are unaware -- I assume you'd stay home if you had the disease and knew it) without being a burden. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

This is only sort of directed at you, and I intend it as a positive comment.  I hope everyone reading it takes it as such.  I really wish I could say it to the people you saw. 

If you have trouble hitting balls, or performing any other activity you'd like to do, while wearing a facemask, consider getting a different facemask.  Of course, there are exceptions:  let's not search for a facemask you can participate in a pie-eating contest while wearing or something like that.  But for things that you'd want to do, but that you should (for some definition of should) wear a mask for, find an appropriate mask.

I'm serious.

I had one style/material combination, which I still wear periodically but not for golf anymore, that I wore as my main facemask early in the pandemic.  I removed it at every opportunity when I was playing golf -- for example, if I could see that I was [I, not my ball, was] on the left fairway and everyone else was on the right side, and I was a safe distance from them (more than just two yards -- especially since I'm bad at judging distances by sight), I'd pull down the mask for a bit.  I'd make a point of keeping track of where everyone else was, so I could put it back on if they were nearby or approaching.  And I put it on before hitting because I didn't want to have to think of "where are my friends?" while swinging.  

Anyway, a month or so ago, I got a few masks in another material (same style as the first one) and have sometimes kept it up when I'm nowhere near my playing mates, blissfully unaware I was wearing it until I went to get some water and couldn't get the straw to my mouth.  I had it over my face a few weeks ago, off the golf course, for about a two mile stretch of a hike -- I had seen someone, pulled it on, I guess hadn't removed it and went to pull it on when I saw another person a while later only to realize it was still up.  Two miles or so, mid-day, Southern California in August.

My point is that there are plenty of safe, quality masks that achieve the purpose of masks (such as preventing you from spreading the disease if you have it and are unaware -- I assume you'd stay home if you had the disease and knew it) without being a burden. 

Sensible and responsible people would try to protect everyone else, especially it'll be such a small effort to just put on a facemask.  I had seen no one else wearing a facemask today at the driving range ( except myself and a couple of Korean golfers ).  Most of my family members work at hospitals, thank goodness outside of the ICU.  So I was reminded everyday of the importance of wearing a facemask.

In the beginning of the pandemic ( late last year), I sort of argue with wife and my kids that even the N-95 will not block out the Virus since the Virus will go through even the ceramic ( one of most dense material available ), but they told me the facemask is to protect the others from possible transmission from I.   That I can not argue, and obey the wishes of my family before the mandated face mask wearing in public places.  I can't risk of getting in aargument or possible physical confrontation or even worse, the possibility of getting shot at by trying to say something to all those not wearing face masks in public, BTW it's still mandated by the State  and all other places like Costco, Walmart, Mom and Pop stores..... al required face mask on premise.  

Why golf course and driving range should be different ?   I know each stall is 6' + apart , however, people'll breathe in and exhale deeper when they exercise.  And I heard someone coughing although just for a brief moment, way down the other side of the range.  

I'l probably not returning to the driving range nor the golf course for this season, All the sunny forecast in the next week or two.......

I'll clean up the garage corner and see if I need to change shafts or put up a few clubs for sale.... That's another thing, shipping cost had skyrocket since last year after the President had a talk with Jeff Bezos.  Now I realized why the meeting did not have a pleasant ending.

I have no idea why in general it's so difficult for people to follow direction from the authority. 

No golf for me and hope just this season.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Release said:

Sensible and responsible people would try to protect everyone else, especially it'll be such a small effort to just put on a facemask.

What does the science/data tell us about transmission outside? That it's not all that likely. The volume of air is so, so large.

In the beginning of the pandemic ( late last year), I sort of argue with wife and my kids that even the N-95 will not block out the Virus since the Virus will go through even the ceramic ( one of most dense material available ), but they told me the facemask is to protect the others from possible transmission from I.   That I can not argue, and obey the wishes of my family before the mandated face mask wearing in public places.  I can't risk of getting in aargument or possible physical confrontation or even worse, the possibility of getting shot at by trying to say something to all those not wearing face masks in public, BTW it's still mandated by the State  and all other places like Costco, Walmart, Mom and Pop stores..... al required face mask on premise.

Those are indoors.

Why golf course and driving range should be different?

Because it's outdoors.

I have no idea why in general it's so difficult for people to follow direction from the authority. 

I've followed all of the rules. My daughter has played several tournaments throughout the summer, and the mandates are basically to wear masks indoors and to stay relatively distanced outside.

Remember, the mandates are even allowing people to not wear masks indoors when they're at a restaurant (the servers, etc. will wear masks), too.

The PIAA (for Pennsylvania high school athletics) voted 25-5 to allow fall sports with certain provisions.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

What does the science/data tell us about transmission outside? That it's not all that likely. The volume of air is so, so large.

Those are indoors.

Because it's outdoors.

I've followed all of the rules. My daughter has played several tournaments throughout the summer, and the mandates are basically to wear masks indoors and to stay relatively distanced outside.

Remember, the mandates are even allowing people to not wear masks indoors when they're at a restaurant (the servers, etc. will wear masks), too.

The PIAA (for Pennsylvania high school athletics) voted 25-5 to allow fall sports with certain provisions.

Do not comment on my thread before you know the fact.  Our State requires face masks to be worn at all times, indoor or outdoor in all public places , where human contact occurs .

If you believe being outdoor changes anything for the spread of the Virus, please read all published articles of what is a Virus and how this COVID-19 is being spread.

Mandate of how and where to wear a facemask is not cast in iron.  Use your knowledge and exercise caution.  People like you are exactly why the spread of COVID-19 is not under control in this country.   There is no way of eradicating the Virus, but we need to slow the spreading down as much as we could, to buy time, to find ways to help those vulnerable to this Virus.  Same as the influenza, some will get it and recover and some will get seriously ill.  

Our State used to waive the mandated immunization for school aged children, for whatever the god's given right they believed they have, until the recent outbreak of measles, returning after it disappeared for decades.  Allowing the freedom of the minority sector, jeopardized everyone else.  We also believe in extending the extra help to the needy, the kindness had been abused and mistaken as a weakness so every radical group use our cities as a proving ground for their squeaky wheel demand.

Ever wonder why the residents from the most advanced country on Earth are required to be quarantined when travel to other countries ?    Because we're so smart, we know our rights and refused to do the necessary to stop the spread of the COVID-19.

Edited by Release

7 hours ago, Shindig said:

What was the mask material? Do you have a link where you purchased?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Release said:

Do not comment on my thread before you know the fact.

Look, man, this is a golf forum, albeit a non-golf-related part of that forum so that the golfers and friends we make elsewhere can chat about some of the bigger non-golf-related stuff going on in our lives with other friends and acquaintances.

The point is, chill out. I'll give you one chance, because honestly I'm kind of tired of people choosing to get all pissy about stuff. And, this isn't "your thread."

Our State requires face masks to be worn at all times, indoor or outdoor in all public places , where human contact occurs.

You said "Costco, Walmart, mom and pop stores" and I said "those are all indoors."

You live in WA. Your state requires masks to be worn indoors at all times, and outdoors when you're in an area with a number of people. At no point did you talk about let alone identify your state.

10 hours ago, Release said:

Our State is under the ordinance of facemasks in all public places.

That is not entirely true: The Washington State Department of Health requires you to wear a cloth face covering in public when you cannot stay six feet (or two meters) away from others.

If you believe being outdoor changes anything for the spread of the Virus, please read all published articles of what is a Virus and how this COVID-19 is being spread.

It most definitely does change things. C'mon now, let's not ignore basic science. Let's embrace science, with a dose of caution, and make policy and live our lives with that as the guiding force.

People like you are exactly why the spread of COVID-19 is not under control in this country.

No. You've driven it completely out of bounds on that one.

There is no way of eradicating the Virus, but we need to slow the spreading down as much as we could, to buy time, to find ways to help those vulnerable to this Virus.  Same as the influenza, some will get it and recover and some will get seriously ill.

It slowed down, then it sped up (quickly) for a time as states lifted restrictions, and it's been slowing down again for another month+.

image.png

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I generally try to stay out of these discussions but we really need to be sensible about this. Masks need to be worn indoors but I see no reason to wear one on an outdoor driving range or while playing a round. 

I have not played as much since Covid but it is not because of Covid. Life and weather just have not cooperared. I'm looking forward to playing a lot more as we turn towards fall. 

COVID is spreading at the University of Dayton. All students were required to pass a COVID test before moving in, and they are required to wear masks everywhere. Some can't / aren't but most are wearing masks because the risk suspension for not complying. There are about 8500 undergrad students enrolled there. Today's numbers haven't been posted yet, but yesterday showed 35 new cases with 100 active cases currently. How can this be ramping up with those controls in place.

Compare this to South Dakota that just had about 500,000 visitors in a very small area where virtually nobody was socially distancing or wearing a mask. The state has trended up in cases, but it's around 100 per day for the entire state. Shouldn't South Dakota be seeing a major outbreak right now?

- Shane

42 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

COVID is spreading at the University of Dayton.

Rough start out there. 

My dear sister is a lecturer out there and they fell prey to the Zoom Doom yesterday, which was supposed to be the first day of class. 

43 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Compare this to South Dakota that just had about 500,000 visitors in a very small area where virtually nobody was socially distancing or wearing a mask. The state has trended up in cases, but it's around 100 per day for the entire state. Shouldn't South Dakota be seeing a major outbreak right now?

Correct me if I'm wrong.  I believe you are referring the the Sturgis event in South Dakota.  Many, many of the motorcyclists came from out of state, where a lot of Covid-19 cases are occurring to participants involved in gathering in South Dakota.

24 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Correct me if I'm wrong.  I believe you are referring the the Sturgis event in South Dakota.  Many, many of the motorcyclists came from out of state, where a lot of Covid-19 cases are occurring to participants involved in gathering in South Dakota.

I am referring to that. Most came from out of state. If they were carrying COVID with them and passing it around, South Dakota should be getting hammered right now. I am hearing reports of "dozens of cases", but I wouldn't call that "a lot of cases" given the 500,000ish attendees. I'm sure there is more that are not being reported, but my point is, how can a small university with all of the testing and controls in place be seeing such a spike when an event that was dubbed a "super spreader" without controls in place not.

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.

'Unfortunately, I think this is just the beginning of the cases we will see from Sturgis.'

- Shane

Posting as a parent having to decide whether to send my kid back to school 5 days a week, 8 hours a day, with a mask on, or keep him home for nine weeks of "virtual" school. This is one of the harder decisions I've had to make. I'm not particularly concerned about him catching the virus, but rather I'm concerned about his experience in school with all of the masks, distancing, temp checks, Plexiglas, no extracurriculars, etc. 

For now I've decided to keep him home. I am not at peace with that decision though. He really should be gearing up for his freshman year of high school and all of the excitement that entails, but now it's just more of a holding pattern. Virtual school, even in it's best form, is not ideal for an adolescent, but neither is a very restrictive physical environment. No real good options here. 

- Mark

1 minute ago, Braivo said:

For now I've decided to keep him home.

If my kids were still in school, I would have decided the same thing. I predict chaos in the schools, and I imagine you can change your mind once things settle down.

- Shane

1 hour ago, CarlSpackler said:

I am referring to that. Most came from out of state. If they were carrying COVID with them and passing it around, South Dakota should be getting hammered right now. I am hearing reports of "dozens of cases", but I wouldn't call that "a lot of cases" given the 500,000ish attendees. I'm sure there is more that are not being reported, but my point is, how can a small university with all of the testing and controls in place be seeing such a spike when an event that was dubbed a "super spreader" without controls in place not.

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.

'Unfortunately, I think this is just the beginning of the cases we will see from Sturgis.'

"Unfortunately, I think this is just the beginning of the cases we will see from Sturgis," said Kris Ehresmann, the director of infectious diseases at the Minnesota Department of Health. 

Maybe the other motorcycle boot has not yet dropped???  Though I hope it doesn't and then we can look closer at the rally and learn what went right.

With regard to the students, youth being youth, and feeling immortal even in the face of this pandemic, I could see them back in their dorm rooms and in off-campus housing, talking freely, face-to-face, doing all the things they did last year.  Here in WA state one of the universities has a high Covid rate which they are claiming is from students partying in off campus housing leading up to the school year.  Sans masks, sans social distancing.

Edited by Double Mocha Man