IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic

iacas

45 minutes ago, FlyingAce said:

My husband was among the 400 frontline healthcare workers at his hospital to get the vaccine yesterday. So far, no reported side effects/allergic reactions yet. 

That's so good to hear. ... er... read. 

You seem like a good person. I hope you and your husband come through this like flying aces. 

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

Obviously the vaccine was fast-tracked, so I'm not sure why everyone is so confident that it won't have any serious side effects.

I think there can be a difference between "fast-tracked" and "skipping important procedures". 
The FDA has said that this vaccine got their full attention, putting all hands on deck to work on it. They have also remained pretty steadfast when under huge pressure to approve it several weeks earlier. 

If an engineer designs a new bridge, I feel pretty safe in being the first person to cross it. The same when Boeing comes out with a new airplane or if Ford makes a new automobile. I can't pretend to know what the FDA does exactly to approve a new drug/vaccine. I also don't know anything about the procedures Pfizer uses in creating such a drug. But I do know a lot of smart well educated people worked really hard on it and went through a bunch of checks and balances. 

I could be totally wrong, but I am going to trust this one. Like I keep saying I'll get the vaccine the moment my number comes up. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator
1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Boeing

woof. 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

The same when Boeing comes out with a new airplane

Ha. Ha. 

Sure. The smart guys get it right a large portion of the time. Given the alternatives here, taking the stuff is probably the only move to make, but we've all see exceptions.

Ethiopian Airlines crash: What is the MCAS system on the Boeing 737 Max 8?

12 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Ha. Ha. 

Sure. The smart guys get it right a large portion of the time. Given the alternatives here, taking the stuff is probably the only move to make, but we've all see exceptions.

Ethiopian Airlines crash: What is the MCAS system on the Boeing 737 Max 8?

Yes, we have... haven't we?

4 hours ago, iacas said:

I would say I'm shocked, but this shit surprises me less and less as I age, at how many people are saying "I won't get the vaccine when it's my time."

I mean, cool, that bumps me up in line, but not cool, because it will mean a slower re-opening, more deaths, more illnesses, more hospitalizations…

Stop being stupid, people.

They can’t help it. They are confusing freedom of choice with doing the smart, logical and compassionate thing for themselves and others. It is a very selfish approach. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I was young when the polio vaccine came out in sugar cubes.   It wasn't a matter of "if" somebody was going to get the vaccine.   It was important and necessary.   It was just something everyone did.   I realize that people today have more information to make their own personal choice but I still believe this vaccine is important and necessary.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

10 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I was young when the polio vaccine came out in sugar cubes.   It wasn't a matter of "if" somebody was going to get the vaccine.   It was important and necessary.   It was just something everyone did.   I realize that people today have more information to make their own personal choice but I still believe this vaccine is important and necessary.

That's an interesting comparison. What was that like 1961 ish?

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

That's an interesting comparison. What was that like 1961 ish?

I don't remember anything other than going to the local high school and standing in line.  

11 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I don't remember anything other than going to the local high school and standing in line.  

I remember the same thing. Going down to the local high school with my parents, them handing me my sugar cube, and checking my name off the list. Times were oh, so, simpler then.

I have a severe reaction to penicillin. I understand lately that the options if you have severe reactions is to either not take the vaccine, or take it in a hospital environment where they can treat you if things go bad. I'll talk to my doctor when the time comes, but I'm figuring that's going to be sometime late next year.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

38 minutes ago, Rkrider99 said:

I remember the same thing. Going down to the local high school with my parents, them handing me my sugar cube, and checking my name off the list. Times were oh, so, simpler then.

I have a severe reaction to penicillin. I understand lately that the options if you have severe reactions is to either not take the vaccine, or take it in a hospital environment where they can treat you if things go bad. I'll talk to my doctor when the time comes, but I'm figuring that's going to be sometime late next year.

If you were getting the Salk vaccine when you were a kid you are probably a 1b and in line to get the Covid-19 vaccine either in January or early February...

5 hours ago, dennyjones said:

The problem with this is that it's not really information, but rather disinformation.  Most of what I've seen is crazy conspiracy theories that are simply sowing the seeds of mistrust.

Meanwhile, I've had several eighth grade students of mine out for extended periods of time due to COVID.  One girl tested positive in late October and was unable to return to school until after Thanksgiving break.  She has not been the same.  Another student tested positive last week, and she won't be back until January.  Right now, the positivity rate in my county is over 20%.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

I got tested at work (hospital) on Wednesday due to exposure to a positive coworker and a persistent headache. Results were negative. Today I feel like I have a cold and have occasionally had a slight fever. I am waiting to hear back from employee health to see if they want to test me again or stay home from work next week.  I am currently isolating in the basement at home and wearing a mask if I go upstairs where the family is.

War Eagle!

10 minutes ago, The Flush said:

I got tested at work (hospital) on Wednesday due to exposure to a positive coworker and a persistent headache. Results were negative. Today I feel like I have a cold and have occasionally had a slight fever. I am waiting to hear back from employee health to see if they want to test me again or stay home from work next week.  I am currently isolating in the basement at home and wearing a mask if I go upstairs where the family is.

Our friend tested negative twice and still had symptoms.   The third test was positive.   Stay safe!

My mom had a low fever, headache, flu like symptoms. She tested negative. I wonder if certain versions of isn’t testing positive as much? 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

She might just have the flu. Like the actual flu.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Has anyone (who has followed social distancing and masking) found that they haven't gotten sick in a while? I almost ALWAYS get sick in October/November from my kids at school but this year nothing yet.

Colin P.

On 12/17/2020 at 11:09 AM, mcanadiens said:

Under the circumstances, I probably will get the shot when the time comes, but I'm not going to cut in line to get it either. 

Obviously the vaccine was fast-tracked, so I'm not sure why everyone is so confident that it won't have any serious side effects. We have a lot of faith in our medical community, but history shows that some of their creations have been very problematic. 

My mother is still with us, so getting the shot isn't really optional, but I'd have a hard time blaming anyone for being nervous about it. 

Were this a new vector for the vaccine I would be concerned but this technology is not new. Granted there has not been a successful vaccine until COVID but clinical trials have been done using the technique since the early 2010s. And compared to the current impact of virus it seems like reasonable choice.

One must also remember that part of the reason that this trial was completed so quickly was the speed at which they were able to enroll participants and the speed with which statistically significant numbers of people in the control group were diagnosed with the virus. This is not normally the case. It often takes years to get sufficient numbers of volunteers and that long for enough potential exposures to demonstrate efficacy.

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

Has anyone (who has followed social distancing and masking) found that they haven't gotten sick in a while? I almost ALWAYS get sick in October/November from my kids at school but this year nothing yet.

Fewer exposure opportunities since most people are masked and not gathering.

On 12/17/2020 at 6:31 PM, Rkrider99 said:

Keep in mind that there are 4-5 other vaccines in phase III trials. some of the other candidates use different technologies that may have fewer allergic responses. By spring I expect that there will be more options

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

I usually get a couple colds but yeah nothing in a while except for anxiety.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!