IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic

iacas

1 hour ago, Braivo said:

This resonates with me, a lot. I have three kids and each has dealt with this differently. My 13yo daughter struggled mightily in the absence of her peer group. She moped around the house for most of this past winter. We did everything out of the house we could find, but kids that age want their friends more than anything. Now my son, who has ADHD and needs healthy physical outlets, keeps having his activities canceled due to asymptomatic positive cases. His wrestling season got shut down last week, then his school, and now his Jiu Jitsu gym closed. He keeps taking blows. It's hard to justify when it's a virus that has little impact on kids his age. Let the kids be kids, let them do their thing, and like you said, we can mitigate the virus in other ways and in other places, but leave the kids alone. 

They are now starting to test ALL teen athletes in Michigan on a weekly basis. They are going to find constant asymptomatic cases, the same way they did when they started testing wrestlers. These sports seasons will go nowhere now, sadly. Another year of needless cancelations and disappointments. 

I hear you. Which is why I don't understand the refusal to wear masks by some that have no reason other than they can't be told what to do by birthright. Straight up dick out- f*** you to the rest. Nice.

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope this isn't off topic but I got my C19 relief payment this past wednesday. 

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

A few articles I thought some may be interested in reading...

idc0321distance_graphic_01.jpg

The CDC updated its guidance and now recommends that students in K-12 public schools...

idn0321sheehan_graphic_01.jpg

Patients who were previously infected with COVID-19 were about 85% less likely to develop...

idn0321bhimraj_graphic_01.jpg

The Infectious Diseases Society of America has updated its treatment guidelines for...

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

22 hours ago, Braivo said:

It's hard to justify when it's a virus that has little impact on kids his age.

I’m sure you’re aware the issue with kids getting COVID-19 isn’t necessarily about how it affects them, but that they can transmit the virus to those who could be severely impacted by it.

Allowing a subset of the population to be unrestricted from all safety mandates undermines everything we’ve been doing for the past year.

I was able to secure vaccine appointments this morning. First shot on Tuesday, second is scheduled for 4/20.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

I’m sure you’re aware the issue with kids getting COVID-19 isn’t necessarily about how it affects them, but that they can transmit the virus to those who could be severely impacted by it.

Allowing a subset of the population to be unrestricted from all safety mandates undermines everything we’ve been doing for the past year.

I feel like there are a lot of people who don't realize/think of that, which makes me question their mental capacity for decision making across the board.

Colin P.

Do people have a false sense of security wearing non-n95 type masks. Most of our 'designer' masks are not that effective stopping contaminates from entering one's lungs. If kids going back to school are required to wear masks, they should at least be n95 level masks. 

54 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

Do people have a false sense of security wearing non-n95 type masks. Most of our 'designer' masks are not that effective stopping contaminates from entering one's lungs. If kids going back to school are required to wear masks, they should at least be n95 level masks. 

I don’t think that’s necessary. Nor do I believe it’s a ‘false’ sense of security. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

38 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

I don't have a false sense of security, since masking is a risk reduction measure. The common masks (surgical, cloth, etc.) prevent spread of the wearer's droplets and aerosols, and offer some protection to the wearer from droplets/aerosols from others. The risk reduction from these types of masks is effective when everyone wears them. It's not meant to be an iron clad protection, but indoors with other people all wearing masks, they do provide significant protection (along with other measures like physical distancing and reduced occupancy).

N95 mask protection is limited unless they are worn and fitted properly. Anything that interferes with the seal of the mask to your skin renders it way less effective. I see men with big bushy beards with an N95 mask plopped over it. I'm not sure if kids, younger ones at least, would be able wear them well, if there were kid sized N95 available. The scientific data, thus far, indicates that kids don't spread the virus as effectively as adults so I think kids are fine in school with regular masks, reduced class size, and good ventilation. Teachers on the other hand, should have priority to vaccination, and have access to N95 masks (at least I would want an N95 mask if I were a teacher, although teaching with an N95 mask might be difficult).

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

NY eased restrictions and it is disconcerting seeing all the maskless people, indoors, in cafes and restaurants. It ain't over folks.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Here is an article that sort of coincides with what you say, that n95 masks need to be fitted and are a little more difficult to wear and keep the seal around your face.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/11/health/cdc-face-mask-guidelines-wellness/index.html

2 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

I don't have a false sense of security, since masking is a risk reduction measure. The common masks (surgical, cloth, etc.) prevent spread of the wearer's droplets and aerosols, and offer some protection to the wearer from droplets/aerosols from others. The risk reduction from these types of masks is effective when everyone wears them. It's not meant to be an iron clad protection, but indoors with other people all wearing masks, they do provide significant protection (along with other measures like physical distancing and reduced occupancy).

N95 mask protection is limited unless they are worn and fitted properly. Anything that interferes with the seal of the mask to your skin renders it way less effective. I see men with big bushy beards with an N95 mask plopped over it. I'm not sure if kids, younger ones at least, would be able wear them well, if there were kid sized N95 available. The scientific data, thus far, indicates that kids don't spread the virus as effectively as adults so I think kids are fine in school with regular masks, reduced class size, and good ventilation. Teachers on the other hand, should have priority to vaccination, and have access to N95 masks (at least I would want an N95 mask if I were a teacher, although teaching with an N95 mask might be difficult).

Think of all the new terms we've learned in the last year!  Words and concepts that wouldn't have been in our vocabularies otherwise.

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

NY eased restrictions and it is disconcerting seeing all the maskless people, indoors, in cafes and restaurants. It ain't over folks.

I totally understand the human desire to get back to normal, but if we rush it (and it appears that's the case) then we'll be back to abnormal.

7 hours ago, Billy Z said:

Do people have a false sense of security wearing non-n95 type masks. 

An awful lot of people seem to treat facial coverings as a form of security.  They're for when you cannot maintain whatever the safe distance is, such as grocery shopping;  there are plenty of people who think it's safe to congregate in groups for periods of time as long as everyone's wearing a mask.  I doubt it's as safe as they think it is.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 hours ago, Shindig said:

An awful lot of people seem to treat facial coverings as a form of security.  They're for when you cannot maintain whatever the safe distance is, such as grocery shopping;  there are plenty of people who think it's safe to congregate in groups for periods of time as long as everyone's wearing a mask.  I doubt it's as safe as they think it is.

This has been a sore spot of mine for a while. The priority has been mask mask mask in the media and by the government. To me, that is priority 3. The top priory is distancing. 2nd is hand washing while mask wearing is 3rd. I’m even willing to flip mask wearing and hand washing as priorities, but they almost make it sound like, and many people believe, that wearing a mask is all that is required. 

- Shane

• Administrator
5 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

This has been a sore spot of mine for a while. The priority has been mask mask mask in the media and by the government. To me, that is priority 3. The top priory is distancing. 2nd is hand washing while mask wearing is 3rd. I’m even willing to flip mask wearing and hand washing as priorities, but they almost make it sound like, and many people believe, that wearing a mask is all that is required. 

I think yours are out of order.

A mask basically multiplies distance a bunch. Washing hands does very little here, too.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Got the second Pfizer at 12:45 today. Getting some water and a bit of food, and then going to play some golf.

• Administrator
GettyImages-1308356544.jpg

With COVID-19 restrictions lifted, the city is seeing huge crowds and mass arrests.

Miami-Dade County, which Miami Beach is a part of, has recently experienced one of the country’s worst COVID-19 outbreaks, the New York Times reported. The state broke two millionreported cases of the disease and more than 33,000 people have died from it. Florida also has one the highest levels of a possibly more dangerous coronavirus strain known as B.1.1.7.

Hmmmmmm.

My aunt, uncle, and cousin caught COVID. It was my cousin, who is under 18, that caught it and transmitted it to his parents. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping: