IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic

iacas

11 hours ago, iacas said:

And in brighter news:

3fd07823756d7ab56c4e8423775b344ae4-vacci

Some public-health experts have pushed back on the CDC director’s claim that “vaccinated people do not carry the virus” and “don’t get sick.”

I  don't know if I "totally" believe this to be true. Can a vaccinated person get a variant? Is so, that means I could give it to somebody else, wouldn't you say?

Edited by Billy Z
typo

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

I  don't know if I "totally" believe this to be true. Can a vaccinated person get a variant? Is so, that means I could give it to somebody else, wouldn't you say?

Did you read the article or just the title?

C'mon man.

Be better here.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, Billy Z said:

This is what I meant, and this is hogwash:

“Vaccinated people do not carry the virus — they don’t get sick,” Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the CDC, told MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow on Tuesday.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Yeah, @iacas, here’s another article echoing the last one you posted:

breakthrough_wide-cbd3240a3e88bea45f01a9

COVID-19 vaccines are highly effective but don't always provide perfect protection. Some...

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Some perspective is required. There's still a small chance of catching the virus after vaccination, BUT it's nearly 100% effective at preventing hospitalization and death. So even if you get infected after a vaccine, it's going to be mild. Is that worth being worried about? Not in my opinion. Vaccine = end of pandemic.

"Breakthrough" cases makes for a good clickbait headline, but the truth is there's no real story there. Same with variants. The vaccine works against all known variants. Nothing scary there either. 

The message is simple: Get the vaccine and you eliminate any personal threat of covid taking you down. When enough people get it, it eliminates the broad threat to everyone. End of story. 

Get the shot. 

Now that the vaccine is out in the world, we’re getting real-world data. The news is still good: 700,000 people in Israel have been vaccinated with the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, and there have in fact been a few hospitalizations — 16, to be precise, for a rate of 0.002 percent — and no deaths.

1231101823.jpg

Everyone wants to know how well the vaccines work. But a key metric is hardly ever discussed.

- Mark

I got my second Moderna vaccine around 6pm EST last night.   The shot was painless as was the first.   

I didn't sleep well last night but contributed that to my snoring wife.   I awoke around 4 am from a restful sleep to use the restroom.   Her snoring was so violent that I couldn't return to sleep.    I tried to sleep on the couch but don't believe I rested much.    Today I've felt tired and lazy and just now took my temperature which was 99.9°.    I only feel the ouch at the injection site, a small headache and lazy.   

I wouldn't have wanted to play golf today but if we'd had a tee time at Shepherd's Hollow, I'd have made the effort.   Since the weather wasn't very good, I won't miss not playing today.   

I'm counting on tomorrow being a better day since I'll try to get better rest tonight.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I got my second Moderna vaccine around 6pm EST last night.   The shot was painless as was the first.   

I didn't sleep well last night but contributed that to my snoring wife.   I awoke around 4 am from a restful sleep to use the restroom.   Her snoring was so violent that I couldn't return to sleep.    I tried to sleep on the couch but don't believe I rested much.    Today I've felt tired and lazy and just now took my temperature which was 99.9°.    I only feel the ouch at the injection site, a small headache and lazy.   

I wouldn't have wanted to play golf today but if we'd had a tee time at Shepherd's Hollow, I'd have made the effort.   Since the weather wasn't very good, I won't miss not playing today.   

I'm counting on tomorrow being a better day since I'll try to get better rest tonight.

Sounds like she could use a CPAP.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Here is a reminder why you still need to practice CDC guidelines even if you are fully vaccinated...

210411081438-01-pfizer-comirnaty-covid-1

About 5,800 people out of tens of millions who have been vaccinated against coronavirus have become infected anyway, the CDC tells CNN.

Granted that's a minute fraction of the people who have been fully vaccinated. 

If not for you, but for other people who have not yet been fully vaccinated, people should pay attention to CDC guidelines.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• Administrator

The 5800 number says "fully" in the headline, but doesn't say "fully" anywhere else in the article, so I wonder about its accuracy.

Anyway, 5800/77000000 = 0.0075%.

Which are better numbers than expected.

Those numbers don't change the herd immunity numbers, and are to be expected (though honestly they still feel low, but some people might have COVID but not get a positive test).

But, yes, keep wearing masks and being "smart" about things. I wear my mask going through drive-throughs, even though I'm effectively "outside" and interacting with that person only for literally 5-10 seconds. I see it now as a fully vaccinated person as similar to just being considerate of others, and the people they might come into contact with in their lives.

I read that the CEO of Pfizer says we will probably need a third booster shot and yearly shots.

he might say that for profit sake though. It’s still inconclusive.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
1 minute ago, saevel25 said:

I read that the CEO of Pfizer says we will probably need a third booster shot and yearly shots.

he might say that for profit sake though. It’s still inconclusive.

And the need for yearly shots will go away if COVID largely goes away.

It could become something they include with the yearly flu shot, too.

Ontario's 3rd wave is taxing its hospitals to the limit right now. Stay safe Ontario.

USATSI_12845558.jpeg?w=640

Just three weeks ago, Canadian golf’s governing association launched a new campaign in an effort to retain those who took up or came back to...

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

11 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Ontario's 3rd wave is taxing its hospitals to the limit right now. Stay safe Ontario.

USATSI_12845558.jpeg?w=640

Just three weeks ago, Canadian golf’s governing association launched a new campaign in an effort to retain those who took up or came back to...

A stay-at-home order is a stay-at-home order.  Allowing some folks to play golf, even though it's fairly safe, would be a bad look.  Especially when others cannot even leave the house.  Glad I'm not in Ontario.

9 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

A stay-at-home order is a stay-at-home order.  Allowing some folks to play golf, even though it's fairly safe, would be a bad look.  Especially when others cannot even leave the house.  Glad I'm not in Ontario.

I don’t care about bad looks. That is nothing more that everyone has to suffer because they don’t play golf. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On 4/14/2021 at 6:27 PM, iacas said:

Sounds like she could use a CPAP.

I wish she'd at least give it a thought.   We've talked 😕

Michigan is struggling to keep the hospitals from over flowing.   Day before yesterday there were almost 9k reported new cases of Covid.   As reported by the Detroit Free Press:   One of those regions is the Thumb, where three counties have positivity rates above 30% — Tuscola at 30.5%, Sanilac at 35.3%, and Huron at 36.9%.

Edited by dennyjones

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

On 4/16/2021 at 9:13 AM, iacas said:

And the need for yearly shots will go away if COVID largely goes away.

It could become something they include with the yearly flu shot, too.

It’s worth remembering that only about 50% of the population even gets an annual flu shot.

Once the Covid vaccine becomes an annual requirement, it seems to me that compliance will likely drop significantly there too.

The question also remains, how long will the government (taxpayers) foot the bill?  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 minute ago, David in FL said:

It’s worth remembering that only about 50% of the population even gets an annual flu shot.

Once the Covid vaccine becomes an annual requirement, it seems to me that compliance will likely drop significantly there too.

The question also remains, how long will the government (taxpayers) foot the bill?  

My guess is the low vaccination rate for the flu is more out of laziness and the "It hasn't killed me yet..." mindset than being an anti-vaxer.

I don't think the Covid vaccine will ever be a hard and fast requirement, other than a vaccine passport being required to get into certain events and buildings.  So, it'll be a choice.  😁

Also, as long as there's a pandemic I think the government should cover the cost of future vaccines.  It takes away the excuse... "I can't afford it!"  And it keeps the rest of the populace safer.

23 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

My guess is the low vaccination rate for the flu is more out of laziness and the "It hasn't killed me yet..." mindset than being an anti-vaxer.

I don't think the Covid vaccine will ever be a hard and fast requirement, other than a vaccine passport being required to get into certain events and buildings.  So, it'll be a choice.  😁

Also, as long as there's a pandemic I think the government should cover the cost of future vaccines.  It takes away the excuse... "I can't afford it!"  And it keeps the rest of the populace safer.

And yet the government doesn’t provide all other vaccines free of charge.  It could be a slippery slope.

I agree, that it will become much more of a choice, once some people get past the initial fear of Covid itself.   I’m guessing that fewer people will opt to make that choice as time goes on.  It will certainly be interesting to see.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1