Jump to content
IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, mattm16 said:

You know, I don't appreciate being called ignorant, uneducated and a moron just because I have a different opinion than you.

1) Everyone is ignorant, since ignorance is the lack of knowledge. I am 100% ignorant in how viruses work. I know a small bit, but I don't know in detail enough to be able to speak on the subject. 

2) When the facts show it is much more beneficial and safe to get the vaccine, in terms of your own health and in terms of the health of others, there is not much worth in having this difference of opinion. To me, it feels like you and others just want to be contrarian. When the facts are known to be as such, then it is expected to get some negative feedback from those who are correct in this regard. Though, it is a bit harsh to call someone uneducated and a moron. But, I think it is stupid to not get the vaccine unless you have a medical reason to do so. 

2 hours ago, mattm16 said:

I was raised to respect a persons opinion and just because it differs than yours, doesn't mean the person is a moron or ignorant. 

Maybe not a moron, but definitely ignorant. 

Also, do you respect the opinion of deplorable people? Come on, respecting everyones opinion is just not good for society. That is saying you respect the opinion of people like who commit horrible atrocities. Their opinion is they should be able to do so with out repercussions or are justified due to their religious doctrine. How can you respect that. 

2 hours ago, mattm16 said:

It means they have a different opinion, and they have a right to that.  Wouldn't discussions be boring if everyone agreed with everyone in the discussion?  During those productive discussions, who says one person is right and one person is wrong?

We are not talking about subjects like, what is the greatest football team of all time. This is about the validity of the vaccine (which it works stupidly well), and its utility for the safety of oneself and society (which is very high). These are facts. To say that I should respect the opinion of someone who doesn't believe in these facts, or has the opinion that they should disregard the vaccine. Yea, I am not respecting that opinion. 

We are not talking about every discussion here. We are talking about this particular subject. So, don't try to generalize it. 

Here is the thing, the facts are pretty clear here. All you have to say is, "Well, if I didn't have a family who pressured me, I wouldn't take the vaccine." That isn't a valid opinion. It is not based on anything but your gut feeling.

It's like justifying that people who don't wear their seat belts are not idiots. They are 100% idiots for not wearing a seat belt. Seat belts reduce injuries and fatalities by over 55%. Not wearing a seat belt is just idiocy. 

2 hours ago, mattm16 said:

You have your opinion, and I have mine.  Just because I don't agree with you  doesn't mean I'm ignorant.  And you are not ignorant either.  Show some respect, man.

Well, the use of ignorant in this way is wrong. 

You know the facts of the vaccine (I presume) since you are responding to this thread. If not, then you are ignorant since you lack the knowledge of the vaccine. 

To have an opinion, not based on facts is to me idiotic. 

Oh, I am 100% ignorant in many subjects. One of my college professors said the first day, "You are all ignorant people". Then he described what ignorance means. I went from almost being pissed off to thinking he's right. I am an ignorant person. I lack knowledge. I am not all knowing.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

1) Everyone is ignorant, since ignorance is the lack of knowledge. I am 100% ignorant in how viruses work. I know a small bit, but I don't know in detail enough to be able to speak on the subject. 

2) When the facts show it is much more beneficial and safe to get the vaccine, in terms of your own health and in terms of the health of others, there is not much worth in having this difference of opinion. To me, it feels like you and others just want to be contrarian. When the facts are known to be as such, then it is expected to get some negative feedback from those who are correct in this regard. Though, it is a bit harsh to call someone uneducated and a moron. But, I think it is stupid to not get the vaccine unless you have a medical reason to do so. 

Maybe not a moron, but definitely ignorant. 

Also, do you respect the opinion of deplorable people? Come on, respecting everyones opinion is just not good for society. That is saying you respect the opinion of people like who commit horrible atrocities. Their opinion is they should be able to do so with out repercussions or are justified due to their religious doctrine. How can you respect that. 

We are not talking about subjects like, what is the greatest football team of all time. This is about the validity of the vaccine (which it works stupidly well), and its utility for the safety of oneself and society (which is very high). These are facts. To say that I should respect the opinion of someone who doesn't believe in these facts, or has the opinion that they should disregard the vaccine. Yea, I am not respecting that opinion. 

We are not talking about every discussion here. We are talking about this particular subject. So, don't try to generalize it. 

Here is the thing, the facts are pretty clear here. All you have to say is, "Well, if I didn't have a family who pressured me, I wouldn't take the vaccine." That isn't a valid opinion. It is not based on anything but your gut feeling.

It's like justifying that people who don't wear their seat belts are not idiots. They are 100% idiots for not wearing a seat belt. Seat belts reduce injuries and fatalities by over 55%. Not wearing a seat belt is just idiocy. 

Well, the use of ignorant in this way is wrong. 

You know the facts of the vaccine (I presume) since you are responding to this thread. If not, then you are ignorant since you lack the knowledge of the vaccine. 

To have an opinion, not based on facts is to me idiotic. 

Oh, I am 100% ignorant in many subjects. One of my college professors said the first day, "You are all ignorant people". Then he described what ignorance means. I went from almost being pissed off to thinking he's right. I am an ignorant person. I lack knowledge. I am not all knowing.

 

1.  True.  Ignorance is the lack of understanding.  I agree with you.

2.  You think it is stupid to not get it.  I'm ok with that.  I think it is a waste of my time.  I have known people to get COVID.  They are fine.  And yes, I know everybody is different on the reaction.  I'm willing to accept the risk.  And yes, if I wasn't feeling pressure, I would not get it. 

So maybe I shouldn't be so general.  You are correct, I don't respect the opinion of deplorable people.  As long as it is not deplorable/against any kind of law.

We all have different opinions.  It really is ok.  No reason to get all up in arms about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mattm16 said:

I think it is a waste of my time

What facts do you have to support this.

1 minute ago, mattm16 said:

I have known people to get COVID.  They are fine.

There are people who are not fine. Don't judge what your outcome will be just because you only see the immediate people around you are fine. 

My aunt was close to being put on a ventilator, she was hospitalized. Yes she is OK now, but she was lucky. 

2 minutes ago, mattm16 said:

I'm willing to accept the risk.  And yes, if I wasn't feeling pressure, I would not get it. 

You are willing to accept the risk of being a carrier of the virus? You accept the possible harm you will cause to people around you? How selfish and cruel of you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, mattm16 said:

  I think it is a waste of my time.  I have known people to get COVID.  They are fine. 

I have known people, and I have known statistics, where people survive a really nasty car accident without wearing a seatbelt. But they are a very, very, very small percentage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
23 minutes ago, mattm16 said:

I have known people to get COVID.  They are fine.

I have known people that recover from cancer as well. These kind of comments are why other people are saying you are being kind of stupid in saying these kinds of things.

Again, it’s about more than you and your friends/family.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

Even if you recover, long covid is no joke. I know some people who are experiencing the not pleasant after effects of getting covid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
2 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Even if you recover, long covid is no joke. I know some people who are experiencing the not pleasant after effects of getting covid.

Also true.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Even if you recover, long covid is no joke. I know some people who are experiencing the not pleasant after effects of getting covid.

100%.

My wife works with a women who still has "brain fog" and severe fatigue almost half a year after recovering from Covid-19.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

59 minutes ago, iacas said:

I have known people that recover from cancer as well. These kind of comments are why other people are saying you are being kind of stupid in saying these kinds of things.

Again, it’s about more than you and your friends/family.

Remember,  I also said that I do understand that everyone is different.  Everyone will react differently.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mattm16 said:

I think it is a waste of my time.  I have known people to get COVID.  They are fine.  And yes, I know everybody is different on the reaction.  I'm willing to accept the risk.  And yes, if I wasn't feeling pressure, I would not get it. 

This is a very selfish perspective. Whether to get vaccinated or not is not about personal risk. Saying that you think the vaccine is a waste of time is saying that you are okay transmitting a virus to others who may die from it.

The issue with coronavirus is not that it is extremely deadly, although it has still taken the lives of almost 600,000 Americans (more than WW1 and WW2 combined). Several members on this forum know people who have died from Covid-19.

The issue is the transmission rate, which masks, physical distancing, and vaccination all reduce, so that less people die.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So everybody knows, because that is what the grand majority of the people that is on this forum wants to hear:  I did get the vaccine.  Not because I wanted to.  Because friends/family pressured me.  If they didn't, more than likely I wouldn't get it.

Also, if a person is worried about getting COVID, and they get the vaccine, the vaccine protects them, correct?  Then why should they be concerned if I didn't get the vaccine?  They are protected.

And if you would really know me, I am far from selfish.  One of my good friends at work think like you do, and he doesn't understand why I think I do about this.  But we are still friends.  It really is ok to have a different opinion.  And he will also say I am far from selfish.

I don't have facts to back up what I think.  I just think certain ways.  

Doesn't mean we cannot have fun on the golf course.  We just have different opinions.  That is all.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, mattm16 said:

So everybody knows, because that is what the grand majority of the people that is on this forum wants to hear:  I did get the vaccine.  Not because I wanted to.  Because friends/family pressured me.  If they didn't, more than likely I wouldn't get it.

Also, if a person is worried about getting COVID, and they get the vaccine, the vaccine protects them, correct?  Then why should they be concerned if I didn't get the vaccine?  They are protected.

And if you would really know me, I am far from selfish.  One of my good friends at work think like you do, and he doesn't understand why I think I do about this.  But we are still friends.  It really is ok to have a different opinion.  And he will also say I am far from selfish.

I don't have facts to back up what I think.  I just think certain ways.  

Doesn't mean we cannot have fun on the golf course.  We just have different opinions.  That is all.  

You should give up the "opinion"  argument. The bottom line is this is not about opinions. It is about facts. Whoever taught you that you can have your own opinion did not explain to you the part about opinions do not overrule facts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
1 hour ago, mattm16 said:

I'm willing to accept the risk.

This is where the "selfish" accusations come from.  If a person is not vaccinated, they are something like 20 times as likely to contract the virus, so they are 20 times more likely to be an unwitting infection hazard to everyone around them.   This is round numbers, based on the vaccines being 95% effective.  Those "other people" haven't chosen to accept any risk, they have no way of knowing who's relatively safe, and who is relatively more dangerous.  Your choice increases their risk, without their consent, which does seem pretty self-centered..  And I know you've been vaccinated, so I mean the  generic "you."

In many ways this is like the second-hand smoke discussions, back when smoking indoors was a common thing.  I don't care if you accept the risks of smoking, that's not my problem.  But when you bring smoke into MY area, you're exposing me to those risks, without my consent.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

This is where the "selfish" accusations come from.  If a person is not vaccinated, they are something like 20 times as likely to contract the virus, so they are 20 times more likely to be an unwitting infection hazard to everyone around them.   This is round numbers, based on the vaccines being 95% effective.  Those "other people" haven't chosen to accept any risk, they have no way of knowing who's relatively safe, and who is relatively more dangerous.  Your choice increases their risk, without their consent, which does seem pretty self-centered..  And I know you've been vaccinated, so I mean the  generic "you."

In many ways this is like the second-hand smoke discussions, back when smoking indoors was a common thing.  I don't care if you accept the risks of smoking, that's not my problem.  But when you bring smoke into MY area, you're exposing me to those risks, without my consent.  

But if the other people are so concerned, then they can willingly get vaccinated, correct?  At that point, the people who really want it have it and the others accept the risk.  

I think I read somewhere that the U.S is going to soon approach the plateau of people who want it and is willing to get it.  Not sure what the percentage is but if I remember correctly it is around 70% or less.  That means approximately 30% of the population is not willing to get it.  And it also means there are far more people that have the same opinion that I do that anyone wants to admit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)
4 minutes ago, mattm16 said:

But if the other people are so concerned, then they can willingly get vaccinated, correct?  At that point, the people who really want it have it and the others accept the risk.  

I think I read somewhere that the U.S is going to soon approach the plateau of people who want it and is willing to get it.  Not sure what the percentage is but if I remember correctly it is around 70% or less.  That means approximately 30% of the population is not willing to get it.  And it also means there are far more people that have the same opinion that I do that anyone wants to admit.

I'm not saying you're a troll, but sheesh man, you've got the troll technique down pat!  

If you don't use the word "opinion" again (related to Covid) I'll promise not to use the term "troll" again.

Hey, it's just my opinion...

Edited by Double Mocha Man
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
1 minute ago, mattm16 said:

But if the other people are so concerned, then they can willingly get vaccinated, correct?  At that point, the people who really want it have it and the others accept the risk.  

Even vaccinated people aren't without risk, the vaccine is not 100% effective.  So the anti-vax person still raises the risk for every single person he comes in contact with.  THAT is selfish.    

Another factor being discusses is that as long as there are people spreading infections, even though the rate is being decreased, the virus still has a chance to continue mutating.  So far the vaccines seem to be effective at combating the mutations, possibly at a lesser level of effectiveness.  We don't know if future mutations will be able to get past the vaccine, but its possible.  So the anti-vax folks will continue to cause an increased danger to everyone else from mutated viruses.    

9 minutes ago, mattm16 said:

That means approximately 30% of the population is not willing to get it.  And it also means there are far more people that have the same opinion that I do that anyone wants to admit.

I don't think anyone has any illusions about the size of the group of vaccine resisters.  I think the majority of us are concerned over the long-term effects that such a large percentage of anti-vaxers will have on the overall fight against this particular disease.

But as a resister, do you have a problem with private business insisting on proof of vaccination?  How about airline travel, will you accept the right of an airline to deny boarding to non-vax folks?  Restaurants, sporting events, concerts?  After all, some people make their choice to not get vaccinated.  Can a business make a choice to deny those people entry, based on the choice they've made?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, mattm16 said:

2.  You think it is stupid to not get it.  I'm ok with that.  I think it is a waste of my time.  I have known people to get COVID.  They are fine.  And yes, I know everybody is different on the reaction.  I'm willing to accept the risk.  And yes, if I wasn't feeling pressure, I would not get it.

Just because you aren’t aware of how selfish your attitude is doesn’t make you not selfish. This statement here is pure ignorance. I don’t care if this is your opinion…it’s ignorant because you don’t understand the importance of vaccination because you can’t think beyond yourself. 
The bold section is laughably ignorant to even the minimally  educated in public health.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

57 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I'm not saying you're a troll, but sheesh man, you've got the troll technique down pat!  

If you don't use the word "opinion" again (related to Covid) I'll promise not to use the term "troll" again.

Hey, it's just my opinion...

I'm not a troll.  However, I'm just saying what I think (better than opinion?).  There are people that did make the same comments (well, not exactly but if I remember right close enough) that are no longer communicating in this topic because it seems they were "chased" away for what they think.  The trucker dude, and David in Florida specifically I'm thinking of.

53 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Even vaccinated people aren't without risk, the vaccine is not 100% effective.  So the anti-vax person still raises the risk for every single person he comes in contact with.  THAT is selfish.    

Another factor being discusses is that as long as there are people spreading infections, even though the rate is being decreased, the virus still has a chance to continue mutating.  So far the vaccines seem to be effective at combating the mutations, possibly at a lesser level of effectiveness.  We don't know if future mutations will be able to get past the vaccine, but its possible.  So the anti-vax folks will continue to cause an increased danger to everyone else from mutated viruses.    

I don't think anyone has any illusions about the size of the group of vaccine resisters.  I think the majority of us are concerned over the long-term effects that such a large percentage of anti-vaxers will have on the overall fight against this particular disease.

But as a resister, do you have a problem with private business insisting on proof of vaccination?  How about airline travel, will you accept the right of an airline to deny boarding to non-vax folks?  Restaurants, sporting events, concerts?  After all, some people make their choice to not get vaccinated.  Can a business make a choice to deny those people entry, based on the choice they've made?

Yes, I do (it probably surprises people that I do).  It is their business, they can dictate how they want.  A person has a right to not get the vaccine, a business also has the right to deny  them.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Played 27 Holes today made 7 birdies today finally birdied the 1st, just the second and third left to birdie.
    • I’ll pass that along to him and his people.  👍
    • Played my second round (ever) at the course that I think will be a home course for me next year (the complex has two 18s... I have played the other 18, but not in over a decade).  Birdied #13 to improve my away composite to five birdies and a total of -4 (I still have yet to par a hole nine in 2021 ... anywhere).  My two-round composite at that course is a 77.  By contrast, no birdies so far at my home course (well beyond two rounds played... and at least three scheduled in the next two weeks!), and three holes there I've yet to par.
    • Jesus, it’s not just white people who are offended. Just because he isn’t doesn’t mean many more native Americans are not. This line of logic is just idiotic. 
    • I talked to my buddy, 100% Navajo, about this thread.  His response was to shake his head, laugh and say “Leave it to the arrogant white man to tell us what we should be offended by…” Just thought I’d share.  I’m sure the arrogant white men here will continue to tell him he’s wrong though…  😂  
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. CrappyGolfer
      CrappyGolfer
      (68 years old)
    2. Jacob Vance
      Jacob Vance
      (25 years old)
    3. jax731
      jax731
      (54 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...