iacas

General COVID-19 Topic

543 posts / 20211 viewsLast Reply

On 5/21/2020 at 5:07 PM, iacas said:

I'm out.

Jim Rome would/does say this.

Not sure if that's something he originated, but that's probably what he was referring to for what its worth.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Jim Rome would/does say this.

Not sure if that's something he originated, but that's probably what he was referring to for what its worth.

Okay.

I don't watch Jim Rome, and I've been saying that since before Jim Rome was a thing.

Let's stick to the topic.

Golf instruction can begin, with some guidelines, in NY on June 1.

Here are two things we now know to be true:

• The odds of getting COVID-19 from a surface is incredibly small.
  • The odds of getting COVID-19 outdoors from brief encounters (a few minutes, even) with other people is incredibly small.

I think people are under the quite false impression that if you get one "viral particle" on you, you can become infected. The number appears to be at least 1000.

32 minutes ago, iacas said:

Here are two things we now know to be true:

• The odds of getting COVID-19 from a surface is incredibly small.
  • The odds of getting COVID-19 outdoors from brief encounters (a few minutes, even) with other people is incredibly small.

I think people are under the quite false impression that if you get one "viral particle" on you, you can become infected. The number appears to be at least 1000.

Viral load is extremely important and is a factor for why people get a little sick or very sick. a good article on some basics

file.png

Please read this link to learn about the author and background to these posts. It seems many people are breathing some relief, and I’m not sure why. An epidemic curve has a relatively predictable upslope and once the...

KPXS4AE6ZQI6VNOJK4FJDEL5RU.jpg&w=1440

Five months into the pandemic, scientific uncertainty remains and debates flare.

Although the report did not offer an infection fatality rate, lead author Neeraj Sood, a professor of health policy at USC, said it would probably be 0.13 percent for people outside nursing homes and 0.26 percent — identical to the CDC best estimate — when people in nursing homes were included.

9 hours ago, iacas said:
MW-GP644_MicroS_ZG_20180906154215.jpg

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said Thursday that an estimated 20...

I think the number is MUCH higher actually, but that is purely a guess...

Its looking like you will not have a lifetime immunity, though more research needs to happen. But the there is a slow reduction in antibodies. Tom Hanks was interviewed and has been told both he and his wife have had a steady reduction in counts. This could be like the cold, where your body forgets it ever had the virus.

I have been hearing stories the last few days of people standing in line to get tested, getting tired of waiting so they leave, and then getting a call stating they tested positive. One of these stories is local to my area. A guy worked for a company and they had someone test positive. He started feeling bad so the company made him an appointment to go get tested. Instead of going straight to the doctor, he went home and took some meds and went to sleep. The next day he felt better so he canceled his appointment. He ended up getting called stating that he tested positive. I have not actually talked with these people but this is what I am hearing. I have read stories like this in several states. Anyone else hear these?

8 minutes ago, TN94z said:

I have been hearing stories the last few days of people standing in line to get tested, getting tired of waiting so they leave, and then getting a call stating they tested positive. One of these stories is local to my area. A guy worked for a company and they had someone test positive. He started feeling bad so the company made him an appointment to go get tested. Instead of going straight to the doctor, he went home and took some meds and went to sleep. The next day he felt better so he canceled his appointment. He ended up getting called stating that he tested positive. I have not actually talked with these people but this is what I am hearing. I have read stories like this in several states. Anyone else hear these?

Nothing like that, but I am hearing contract tracers are counting anyone that a positive person came into contact with as positive even without a test. I've heard this from friends both here and in Texas.

55 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Nothing like that, but I am hearing contract tracers are counting anyone that a positive person came into contact with as positive even without a test. I've heard this from friends both here and in Texas.

Hmmmmm.

I have also heard that places like nursing homes have to test their residents every few weeks or so to monitor their status. Even though its the same case every time, they are counted as new positive cases with each test a resident takes.